This is mostly my opinion based on facts from the last few months....

I think Verizon and possibly other carriers will make a huge push towards Blackberry this summer for some of the following reasons:

1. The 9650, 9550, and 9330 are due or long overdue for upgrades. Their respectful handset replacements IMO are likely the 9930, 9850, and next-gen curve/curve touch.

Verizon doc suggests BlackBerry PlayBook, HTC Trophy and Xperia Play 'coming soon', prices LTE tablet data and intros 4G netbooks -- Engadget

2. Nothing is official from either party, but the Playbook seems to be coming for Verizon. The previous link discusses it as well as BlackBerry - PlayBook Is Here - New BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - BlackBerry Tablet (no longer there) if anyone remembers that was related to Verizon and its Playbook "beta program".

3. We have seen several shots/videos of upcoming BB7 handsets with Verizon branding on them.

Next-Gen Curve Sedona showing Verizon splash screen (From January)

Blackberry Touch (Monaco) showing Verizon branding on the rear (February)

4. A 9850 and 9930 software leak was recently discovered and said to be from Verizon (March). The leaks were both 6.1.0.44, which I'm not 100% sure, but COULD indicate that they are close in how far along they are in software development. Tutorial videos of both devices were also extracted from these files as seen here.

Blackberry 9850

Blackberry 9930

5. Even more parallels between the 9930 and 9850 show leaked promotional videos (April) of their GSM counterparts (9900 and 9860).

Blackberry 9860

Blackberry 9930

6. For months we have heard from sources that the hardware for the 9850 was in its final stage. I assume the 9930 is since it was at Blackberry World too. I feel the software is what is still in beta stages.

7. The leaked roadmap for regional US CDMA carriers shows the 9850 coming July-Aug, 9930 in August, and next gen Curve in Fall. History shows major US carriers mostly always get handsets weeks or months before regional carriers.

BlackBerry CDMA 2011 roadmap leaked

My point is even though the 9930 was officially unveiled, there seems to be evidence that other Blackberry handsets could be released around the same time.

History shows that the Bold 9000 was unveiled at WES 2008 and even though the Storm 9530 had leaks, it was not shown there. Instead, Verizon & RIM teamed up to promote the 9530 at their own special event months after. RIM also worked with AT&T to promote the Torch at their own event as well. This could be what is going on with the 9930 and 9850 but we can't be certain.

Some arguments to consider AGAINST other handsets besides the 9930 being released soon include

- Only the 9930 was shown at Blackberry World
    - Details/plans may have changed as a result of scheduling for QNX handsets
    - Blackberry 7 is no longer 6.1, so leaked roadmap slides could be invalidated/inaccurate
    - RIM may want to spread their handset releases out as to prevent gaps of no activity in the company's product releases.
    - Carriers like Verizon are no longer in a hurry to release Blackberry handsets since they already have huge sellers like the iphone or android phones.

These are just some things to consider whether you agree with my reasoning or with those that are against it. Blackberry World just took place days ago so there is still time for a carrier to step up and say "look, we also have THIS Blackberry coming".

I think even though Verizon has a great position with the iPhone and Android, there are still many Blackberry customers to win over. In the next few months, if the iphone 5 is truely delayed and there are no major Android phones coming, it could be a nice gap to introduce a big push for a few Blackberry handsets and the Playbook. It's always great for carriers to have diversity in their products to please everyone.

I know many of you won't hold your breath but hopefully we'll get some news soon!
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 05-06-11 at 04:41 AM.
    jimpilot likes this.
    05-06-11 04:17 AM
    I am ready for Verizon to offer some new BB devices! Very much looking forward to getting hands on new Bold touch, but also want to check out the 'Monaco', everyon in my house has droid or iphone. I have not warmed up to the full touch screen just yet, maybe BB will change my mind

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 05:59 AM
    I can't wait for VZW to release some new BB devices. The 9930 looks very nice! I like the option of a touch screen along with a qwerty keyboard on the new devices.
    05-06-11 08:37 AM
    Wow Cameron. very thorough

05-06-11 09:52 AM
    Unfortunately there are always major android phones coming. Next one is the Bionic if it doesn't keep getting delayed.
    05-06-11 10:02 AM
    Unfortunately there are always major android phones coming. Next one is the Bionic if it doesn't keep getting delayed.
    Very true. As well as Verizons first WP7 phone, the HTC Trophy.

05-06-11 10:08 AM
    and FYI - blackman_X said yesterday he was waiting for his playbook to come in (shouldve already had it) - but that means that VZ is getting it - not to mention he had already had his hands on another device (I want to say it was the touch - but with an earlier build OS)
    05-06-11 10:15 AM
    You make some good point. At this point, only time will tell. The Touch/Monaco/Storm3, has been on the conversation path since last October. I am stuck with BB with my cell being a company phone, so I willing to wait to see what options will be available by fall. At this point, I don't mean stuck in a bad way. I really would have a hard time switching from BB. I am just sick of the small screen.
    05-06-11 10:49 AM
    Cam, your work is Very Impressive. Very well researched and well put together. Though, RIM has a knack for not following a logical progression. (I think their plan is "They won't figure it out if we can't!")

But I Digress, all of this is good work. All of us CrackBerry Addicts can do little but wait for our Dealer (RIM) so that we can get a Fix.

Again, Great Work, Keep up the Good Work, and hopefully, your Analysis is Correct.

05-06-11 10:53 AM
    Great stuff, I can't wait till this thing drops on VZW.
    05-06-11 12:10 PM
    Cam, they cancelled the Monaco and are going straight QNX full touch, didn't we already discuss this;p
    05-06-11 12:34 PM
    Very insightful piece and well written. Only problem is that the monaco has been delayed for some reason and poss waiting for qnx to be installed.

In the meantime I would advise you to install os6 on your storm to tie you over

05-06-11 04:27 PM
    wait, how do you know they cancelled monaco and all of that other QNX jazz?
    05-06-11 05:26 PM
    My understanding is the 9860 is a GSM device.
    05-06-11 05:34 PM
    Very insightful piece and well written. Only problem is that the monaco has been delayed for some reason and poss waiting for qnx to be installed.

In the meantime I would advise you to install os6 on your storm to tie you over

lol os6 doesnt work on the storm. and qnx will not be on the monaco unless they are delaying it a year
    mrsadkins9399 likes this.
    05-06-11 06:27 PM
    Thanks guys! I hope there's some truth to some of these things.

Don't listen to matttg and jac btw. They just like to give me a hard time.

05-06-11 07:56 PM
    My wife just jumped ship from Sprint to VZW for a white iPhone. I'm itching to jump with her for a Bold 9930. Come on RIM and VZW, I'm waiting.
    05-06-11 09:22 PM
    Idk vz got burned big with the ever faulty storm. I just hope for the new lineup to hit vz this summer.

05-08-11 03:27 AM
    Whenever Verizon rolls out the tiered data plans, look for the new BBs to drop the week after that.
    05-23-11 12:13 PM
    In your opinion jeffmvr. And please try to follow the rules and not attack (not in this thread another I was reading you posted in) others personally.
    jerry12 likes this.
    05-23-11 04:30 PM
    I still am calling shananigens on RIM AND the big 3 carriers! I blame them for some of us crackberry people getting a little upset by possibly delaying the Bold 9930 (still possible for end of June/early July) If we'd have the Bold 9900/9930 NOW, we'd be happily enjoying it and you'd be seeing very optimistic and happy posts.

05-23-11 05:22 PM
    It all depends on what you call a "big push". Will they sell them? Yes. Will they poor ad dollars in and train reps to upsell them? No.

For VZW their flagship will be LTE devices. And these won't be. Also it depends on how well the devices come along. Typical BB BS with bad software updates and inability to fix 1 issue without breaking another will have these new devices on the sale rack within a week of dropping.

Don't doubt it, but rim needs to make $$ more for the carriers. Charging the same for devices plus extra BIS/BES and then delivering devices that really take extra effort to sell won't make them any carriers favorite. Not when iPhones and androids are selling themselves.

I do think we will are more Carrier love but don't expect any @bblanding competitions or savy ad campaigns. At least not for BB7

Last edited by The_Engine; 05-23-11 at 06:11 PM.
    05-23-11 06:09 PM
    Why would Verizon want to do this? Android and iPhones are already outselling the crap out of BB's, why would they want the headache of dealing with all the returns?

IMO, Verizon will offer a few new BB's and you will see little to no marketing towards them. Nobody wants them.
    In your opinion jeffmvr. And please try to follow the rules and not attack (not in this thread another I was reading you posted in) others personally.
    Just look at his (jeffmvr's) post history. He clearly has an agenda.
    05-23-11 06:26 PM
    Just look at his (jeffmvr's) post history. He clearly has an agenda.
    He is now unable to follow the agenda
    UrbanGlowCam and maevinj like this.
    05-23-11 06:38 PM
    I talked to someone at Verizon the other day that was told that he was going to be some intensive BB training in the near term, but had no other details.
    05-23-11 10:58 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD