My 16 month old son who can't read, understands 5 words, craps himself all day long and regularly has a temper tantrum while trying to perform basic tasks an adult does without thinking knows how to perform all the PlayBook gestures. Yes that's right, he knows to swipe up to close an app and down for settings, left and right between apps and how to get in and out of folders. I did not teach him this either so he either figured it out himself or learned by watching me. Relay this story to anyone who tells you that BlackBerry 10 is complicated and not intuitive.
    BCITMike, fanisk, Thachoc1 and 7 others like this.
    12-15-13 04:45 PM
    My 16 month old son who can't read, understands 5 words, craps himself all day long and regularly has a temper tantrum while trying to perform basic tasks an adult does without thinking knows how to perform all the PlayBook gestures. Yes that's right, he knows to swipe up to close an app and down for settings, left and right between apps and how to get in and out of folders. I did not teach him this either so he either figured it out himself or learned by watching me. Relay this story to anyone who tells you that BlackBerry 10 is complicated and not intuitive.
    Yeah... Nice try. 16 months? Can't read, yet can can understand settings? Can recognize folders? Etc.. Etc..?

Sounds more like an infant randomly swiping to look at the pretty colors.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    12-15-13 04:57 PM
    That's pretty young.

At any rate, my 7 year old understands because I've shown her. She gets swiping up to exit and hitting the X to close her games, and she knows where her folder is on the 2nd page. Pretty simple stuff really.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-15-13 05:01 PM
    I'm not saying he knows what the setting are but that he understands how to navigate around to do what he wants to do on the PlayBook which is mainly open up his favourite games(alpha zero and fly craft) which are in a folder not docked to the quick launch menu and randomly click around in them and open, close and switch between any other apps are open.
    12-15-13 05:03 PM
    It's quite simple. People who say it's complicated just didn't watch the tutorial. Or are just simply lazy . It's really not that hard.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:07 PM
    Not unbelievable to me, cause I've seen a 1 year old do more

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    adjdudley21 and deezy87 like this.
    12-15-13 05:11 PM
    My 27 month old is pretty familiar with the gestures in terms of moving from page to page, closing apps, opening apps etc. Kids are fast learners.

Adults, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    lynxs_claw and NinjaB like this.
    12-15-13 06:26 PM
    My 158 month old can do just about anything he wants.

Looking for the real vijik. Q10
    12-15-13 06:44 PM
    It's because of my kids ability to use my PlayBook that I've finally put a passcode on my phone.

Not that they'd do anything or see anything - but my app account is linked to my carrier and I don't want a $200 bill because my son decides to do some upgrades in Angry Birds Go. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and Thachoc1 like this.
    12-15-13 06:45 PM
    he can swipe up but he can't wipe up?
    12-15-13 06:51 PM
    I'll print this out and pass this along to the guy at the Bell store who recommended I do NOT to buy the Z30 because the gestures and menus were too difficult to learn. The Bell rep will probably identify with the highlighted comment.
    BCITMike and adjdudley21 like this.
    12-15-13 07:05 PM
    My 2 year old knows how to unlock and get into his apps on my Z10, PlayBook and iPad. I don't doubt his kid can do the same.

Posted on CB using my badass Z10!
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-15-13 07:08 PM
    As I expected my son is not some uber genius that has figured out the gestures. The problem is that people have an expectation of how a phone should work (a home button) and this differs from that expectation. The most similar analogy I can think of his how people could not get used to a touch tone phone after having used a rotary phone for so long
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-15-13 07:55 PM
    I don't think the gesture interface is unintuitive. It's fairly easy to use once you learn it, and makes for very quick navigation within the OS. It's more an issue of discoverability. On iOS, once someone learns tap to select, home button to back out, they can easily start using their phone or tablet. The home button is always present front and center, so it's easy to discover and pick up on.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-15-13 08:02 PM
    My 27 month old is pretty familiar with the gestures in terms of moving from page to page, closing apps, opening apps etc. Kids are fast learners.

Adults, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    Adults have attitudes which lead to opinions. What we could learn from kids!
    lactose likes this.
    12-15-13 08:06 PM
    Gestures are an amazing way of navigation

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 08:19 PM
    my baby sister when she was 3 had more control on using my playbook than my parents, she almost started to do random stuff that showed me a few tricks too. At the same time when using other devices she questioned why others couldnt do this simple task and refused to use them.
    12-15-13 08:24 PM
    As mentioned previously, kids are naturally open minded until us adults teach them certain way I believe. Therefore it's easier to accept new ways without too much resistance. For adults, once they set their minds & so used to them, it's harder to accept & learn new ways. Unless you've got curious minds like us CB addicts! (^_-)

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 09:04 PM
    OK, my soon to be two year old daughter plays with my Z10 all the time. She swipes with purpose and is smoother than many who tried to review the z10 back in Jan. Today I downloaded the Sound Board App. She had it down in a few minutes. Even sliding the screen to reviel other sound categories. This would make a great commercial actually. Especially for all the people who think there is too much of a learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 12-15-13 at 09:22 PM.
    canuckvoip and Vorkosigan like this.
    12-15-13 09:12 PM
    Iphone 6 is rumored to not have a home button, so gestures are catching on. You save on engineering, component size, phone weight and thickness by eliminating components.

It's a step in the right direction for everyone especially since apple will invest a lot in research and development just to cut a millimeter of thickness.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 09:26 PM
    I don't think the gesture interface is unintuitive. It's fairly easy to use once you learn it,
    This is contradictory, and that's the point. An intuitive interface is one that you don't HAVE to learn - you can understand it because the functionality is obvious.

Anyone can LEARN the gestures of BB10 (or Meego or WebOS), but that's not the issue. The issue is that random people go into a cell phone store, pick up the phone, click an icon to launch an app, and then are STUCK. Most can't figure out how to get back out of the app within 10 seconds, so they set it down and walk away and pick something else that is INTUITIVE, because they don't WANT to have to learn a new interface.

This is just another reason BB struggles to make sales. The OS isn't "cell-phone store friendly", meaning people who only spend 30-60 seconds playing with it in a store, with no prior knowledge of it beforehand, have no idea what to do.

The solution is simple and obvious: BB should have designed a virtual, on-screen home and back button (like a Nexus phone) that is on by default, but can be turned off in the settings for those who prefer to use the gestures exclusively. All the folks who love gestures would have exactly the same experience they have now after clicking a single button in Settings, but all of the folks brand new to BB10 would find the new OS intuitive from the first moment, and after using it for a while and learning the gestures, could just go shut off the virtual buttons.

If BB had done any user studies or focus groups, I'm sure this must have come up, and I'm amazed that they didn't do this from the start.
    12-15-13 10:44 PM
    Iphone 6 is rumored to not have a home button, so gestures are catching on. You save on engineering, component size, phone weight and thickness by eliminating components.

It's a step in the right direction for everyone especially since apple will invest a lot in research and development just to cut a millimeter of thickness.

Posted via CB10
    This is what I immediately said when I saw the interface in beta.
    They are training iOS users to get rid of the home button.
    12-15-13 11:02 PM
    This is what I immediately said when I saw the interface in beta.
    They are training iOS users to get rid of the home button.
    Yes, that's why they put the fingerprint scanner in the home button. . . because it's on its way out.

Also, let's keep in mind that the "no more home button" story is literally nearly three years old (the following link is from January 2011): http://iphoneshine.com/iphone-5/no-home-button/
    BCITMike likes this.
    12-15-13 11:10 PM
    May we have a video of your dog setting up the password, using it, and unlocking it? It sounds too good to be true. Smart dog, though. I should train mine to do that and make a call too if i'm down somewhere from something nasty, like an anti-blackberry folk clubbing me to near death.
    Seconded. I'd also like to see a video of his/her dog setting up picture password.
    12-15-13 11:41 PM
    oh my god the the next generation has more abilities and acumen towards the technology.
    12-15-13 11:50 PM
90 123 ...