I drive truck for a living. You would not believe how many times a week I see people driving with their knees or elbows with their thumbs flying send a text. The federal DOT has banned texting while operating a commercial vehicle, but they have no authority over cars, that's up to the individual states. But you'd think people would have enough sense to not do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-11 11:52 AM
    Texting while driving has been illegal for quite a while now... and I've never seen anyone do it before.
    I've noticed that we teach our children to respect the rules, respect others and do not hurt one another. Once we mature and become adults, the rules suddenly go out the window. This video should serve as a wake up call to anyone who is to complacent with themselves (I see it way to often).

Thank to the opening poster for sharing the AT&T video with us. After it ended, I promtly posted it to my facebook site.

Please be safe folks.
    01-02-11 12:55 PM
    Thanks! Hats off to AT&T for putting it together.
    01-02-11 01:00 PM
    I saw this video a few days ago and it was really powerful. I am guilty of texting while driving and it made me think twice.
    01-02-11 01:40 PM
    I watched this vid when syb0rg posted it. I was ballin my eyes out seriously. But in regards to some of the comments you guys/gals made about seeing people tx/talkin w/o BT/reading all while driving-it happens around here in my town allllll the dam time! It infuriates me when I see people doing this & steering with there elbows or knees!!! I yell out my window at them to get off the phone! Lol. It is illegal to talk/tx while driving here in Jersey-idk what the fines are but I know they're steep, but stupid people still do it.
    And I did show my 3 older kids that vid. I plan on copying the link and emailing it to the Driver Ed teacher in school to show the other kids as well. I know they show these vids in school already, but another one to see won't do any harm, it'll just educate the kids more.
    If I had a $1 for every person I saw driving with a ph to their ear or texting while driving, I'd be a freakin millionaire right now!

01-02-11 02:35 PM
    I watched this vid when syb0rg posted it. I was ballin my eyes out seriously. But in regards to some of the comments you guys/gals made about seeing people tx/talkin w/o BT/reading all while driving-it happens around here in my town allllll the dam time! It infuriates me when I see people doing this & steering with there elbows or knees!!! I yell out my window at them to get off the phone! Lol. It is illegal to talk/tx while driving here in Jersey-idk what the fines are but I know they're steep, but stupid people still do it.
    And I did show my 3 older kids that vid. I plan on copying the link and emailing it to the Driver Ed teacher in school to show the other kids as well. I know they show these vids in school already, but another one to see won't do any harm, it'll just educate the kids more.
    If I had a $1 for every person I saw driving with a ph to their ear or texting while driving, I'd be a freakin millionaire right now!

Totally agree. I'm originally from brooklyn, NY and I moved to PA 8 years ago. I drive the limit and do not mess with the phone aside from my Jabra blue tooth receiver. Around here there is just so many who just don't get it. It really is all about we are just so sofistcated and to smart for our own good.

Don't get me started on STOP signs
    01-02-11 03:32 PM
    Totally agree. I'm originally from brooklyn, NY and I moved to PA 8 years ago. I drive the limit and do not mess with the phone aside from my Jabra blue tooth receiver. Around here there is just so many who just don't get it. It really is all about we are just so sofistcated and to smart for our own good.

Don't get me started on STOP signs
    thanks
    And now as for those STOP signs..........

01-02-11 03:36 PM
    Seriously, I just wish you could a get �750'000'000 fine each time for doing it , and a 50 year ban from driving. Plus 25 years in prison...

Not to mention that I'd love to beat the crud out of everyone who does it until they die.
    01-02-11 03:40 PM
    Holding the phone isn't the problem, and BT won't solve the problem. The problem is being too focused on the conversation and therefore not scanning the road ahead and to the sides of your vehicle, planning escape routes (motorcyclist type thinking) and trying to anticipate what sort of stupid moves other drivers around you might make.

Good driving requires attention to what is occurring outside your vehicle. Not the dash, and not the phone, radio, kid, makeup, newspaper, etc.

There are few good drivers who remain properly attentive all the time. Am I guilty of talking and driving? Yes, but if traffic gets heavier, conditions worse, etc, I'm not afraid to hang up and call back when traffic eases up or whatever. I'll tell people in the vehicle to shut up too if I need to concentrate.

Most won't and that's why we don't have many better drivers.
    01-02-11 03:43 PM
    I just watched this video while driving...

On a serious note, just be careful. People will never stop texting/phone calls/email/IM while driving. It just more of a reason for you to pay extra attention to what is going on around you.
    01-02-11 03:55 PM
    Texting while driving has been illegal for quite a while now... and I've never seen anyone do it before.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was on my way home from work. I was in the outside lane, stopped at a red light. All of a sudden, a motocycle cop comes up between me and the car in the next lane. I see him talking to the driver. The cop then points to the side of the road, telling the driver to pull over. I thought at first it might be a car seat violation (the driver had a young passenger in the back seat, moving around). We were still waiting for the light, and the cop told me that the driver was texting while sitting at the light. For those of you who think that might be legal because you're not moving, it's not. You are still considered to be operating a motor vehicle.
    BTW, in this jurisdiction, the fine is only about $25, but after all the fees are added, it runs to about $125.
    Last edited by oldtimeBBaddict; 01-02-11 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fixing the dag nabbit punctuation
    01-02-11 06:21 PM
    This real.... its really touching
    03-29-11 08:01 PM
    This is discussed a lot at my high school. I never text while driving and always use my Bluetooth for talking. It's illegal to talk without bluetooth in the car in LA, and obviously txting while driving is illegal.

I think the only time I've checked my phone or bbmed/txted while in my car is when im stopped at a light and not in motion at all.
    03-29-11 08:36 PM
    Wow thanks for sharing. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I agree this should be added to the Crackberry 101 series. Sadly. I gotta admit I'm guilty but I have stopped on the highways but I think I will reconsider.
    03-30-11 06:24 AM
    Thanks a bunch for the good content, really appreciate it.
    07-29-11 03:24 AM
    nice one just watched vids opens ones eyes
    08-05-11 09:28 AM
    I emailed this to my school's administrators and counselors. I also sent this to some friends of mine on facebook. My girlfriend will get her learner's in a week and I will be sure to show this to her.

I completly agree that this should be posted on crackberry in a place where anyone can see it without having to search for it.

08-05-11 12:26 PM
    It is going into law in Nevada. We will not be able to even pick up and read the phone, talk on the phone, text, anything with the phone in our hand. Ofcourse there are "Governmental Exceptions" so I am sure I will see Police all over town still chatting with their wife/friend/etc on their cell as usual.
    08-05-11 12:52 PM
    I saw this video a long time ago, and it was really sad. I used to drive while trying to operate Google maps on my phone, but ever since I watched that video I didn't even dare to pick it up for a SMS till I stop at the lights.
    08-05-11 01:18 PM
    It should be common sense not to text and drive anyway, you should NEED to watch this to know what can happen.
    08-05-11 01:39 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD