How are you logistically using it? I have a Holux GPSlim 240, and love it. I bought it for ad hoc use with my phone when just "out and about", especially when traveling on business. I have a TomTom for my car for normal travel purposes and am happy with that solution.

So... while the Holux is small, it is still large enough to create issues when trying to carry it everywhere. Give me some of your creative ideas. Maybe tether it to my BB holster? Put it on my keychain? Velcro it to my forehead, left ear, or neck?

03-18-08 10:31 AM
    Duck tape it to your Verizon 8830 and take a pic of it. Then silkscreen the pic onto a T-Shirt and put "Verizon's GPS alternative for the BB8830" under it. Then wear that T-Shirt into all Verizon stores as you proceed to look around at their products.
    03-18-08 03:42 PM
    I use the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. it works via bluetooth. It works perfectly with my BB. I bought it on ebay and I took the most expensive model because it wotks on 51 worldwide satellites.
    03-18-08 07:15 PM
    I like the Duck tape idea JRS, I wonder what the comments from the VZW reps would be?
    03-19-08 01:02 PM
    I like the Duck tape idea JRS, I wonder what the comments from the VZW reps would be?
    Knowing VZW, they'd probably find a way to charge you a monthly service fee...
    03-19-08 01:11 PM
    I have a GPS receiver as well and use it for navigation (if have a meeting or something somewhere I'm not familiar with). I usually leave mine in the car since it's small enough that it won't draw undue attention or I'll put it in the glove compartment.
    03-19-08 01:16 PM
    New to BB scene. I have globstar receiver and connects to my 8130 fine. What program can I use for navigation?
    03-19-08 01:21 PM
    LOL, Yeah mje I am sure they would charge you or say that it violates the ULA
    03-19-08 04:37 PM
    I kinda like the duct tape idea myself to attach it to the nice Holster that came wth the 8830.

But seriously I also have a GPSlim 240 and I also like it. I picked up a cell phone lanyard from Kenny Products - Lanyards, Badge Holders, Custom Lanyards, and Promotional Products. It can then be directly attached to the 240 and you can then just hang it around your neck. It works there when your walking around the city or I just toss the 240 on the dash with the lanyard attached. When I get out of the rental car or any car for that matter I just put it around my neck. When I am done with it I'll just put the thing in my shirt/pants pocket or my computer bag.

The GPS on my phone is locked also. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by jc34; 03-19-08 at 06:17 PM.
    03-19-08 06:15 PM
    You don't need an external gps receiver with the 8830. The receiver is as sensitive as my Garmin 360 and works just as well. It is super accurate with the Telenav GPS Application.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-08 10:02 AM
    You DO need an external gps receiver if you are on Verizon . . . . GPS is locked.
    03-20-08 11:27 AM
    You don't need an external gps receiver with the 8830. The receiver is as sensitive as my Garmin 360 and works just as well. It is super accurate with the Telenav GPS Application.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Verizon crippled the GPS so you have to pay them 10 bucks a month for the VZ Navigator.
    03-20-08 02:34 PM
    I have a Pharos receiver that sits in a bluetooth cradle that is about 1.25" square. It works with Google Maps but I wouldn't be inclined to use it for real driving navagation. I got the Pharos receiver while on a trip and discovered that I had lost my Copilot Laptop receiver and needed a quick replacement which I got from an office supply store bundled with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
    03-20-08 07:31 PM
    im looking into buying an external gps and thanks for the reviews. im looking into the slim 240. can you tell me if you have to change anything in the settings or do you have to pair the device everytime you use it and if it works with all third party apps.
    01-08-10 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD