Hi,

I delete everything from my event log daily. I've noticed that there is an option to 'hide' the logging. When I selct that the logg, always comes up empty.....

Has it stopped logging or is it just not showing the logs?

I want2find a way2help keep the log clear (save some memory)

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 12:45 AM
    No. Hiding the log only keeps you from seeing the contents. The
    log is still created nonetheless.
    01-31-09 12:53 AM
    Rather than starting a new thread, maybe I can piggyback here�

I do clear my log periodically (ALT+LGLG) but I've always wondered if I don't do that, does it grow forever? Does it reach a limit? If it does, how is it truncated?

01-31-09 09:00 AM
    I have done some experimenting with the log file, CrackUtil is a great tool for that and a lot of other things.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/

The log file grows to a fixed size, 200 Kb. New entries displace the oldest to keep the file from growing beyond this size.

The purpose of the log file is to provided troubleshooting information to programmers and application developers. There is nothing in the log file that means anything to a user.

I have decided to ignore it, there is little to be gained by deleting it, it will refill in about 2 days of normal use.
    01-31-09 10:07 AM
    Thanks, Reed. Always good to hear the voice of authority!

01-31-09 11:21 AM
    you can use logmaid to "clean" your log
    01-31-09 04:11 PM
    so there is not a way to stop device from event logging? like remove the event log program....
    02-09-09 01:58 PM
    The Event Log is simply a diagnostic tool, i was told that it can be completely removed from the OS if you wish...
    02-09-09 02:01 PM
    how does one do that? go in the java folders and remove it i recon?
    02-09-09 02:05 PM
    Reed McLay who posted above me would likely know how to do this...
    02-09-09 02:06 PM
    how does one do that? go in the java folders and remove it i recon?

yes..

net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod
    02-09-09 02:30 PM
    yes..

net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod
    Again, that does not remove the event log. It only unloads the app used to see
    the contents of the log.
    02-09-09 02:46 PM
    huh
    good to know
    02-09-09 02:49 PM
    Again, that does not remove the event log. It only unloads the app used to see
    the contents of the log.
    It does remove it AG.
    Got this one from the one and only CX....
    02-09-09 02:50 PM
    CX was the one who told me about the Event Log awhile back...
    02-09-09 02:56 PM
    It does remove it AG.
    Got this one from the one and only CX....
    CX was the one who told me about the Event Log awhile back...
    While I would naturally be inclined to take Crucial's word over mine, here is your
    test. Using CrackUtil, press the button for Retrieve Event Log. Guaranteed it
    will be populated.
    02-09-09 03:05 PM
    Oh, i'm not doubting it still creates a log, i just knew you could remove the Event Log from the OS...
    02-09-09 03:06 PM
    Oh, i'm not doubting it still creates a log, i just knew you could remove the Event Log from the OS...
    AH! Gotcha. My bad
    02-09-09 03:15 PM
    All, so then removing it (net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod) doesn't remove the Event Logging function, just the ability to see the event log.
    So, no way to stop it huh. I don't understand b/c I NEVER want to see the event log, so why would I want it ?
    02-10-09 08:49 AM
    thanks for the info Reed!!! Good to know...
    02-10-09 10:14 AM
    That is what "hide" means, it means it won't make its presence apparent. Not being mean, it's just surprising how many ppl are confused by the diction of that option

But, as others said, it simply does not show the logged events... BUT, the device WILL continue to log them

02-10-09 11:15 AM
    That is what "hide" means, it means it won't make its presence apparent. Not being mean, it's just surprising how many ppl are confused by the diction of that option

But, as others said, it simply does not show the logged events... BUT, the device WILL continue to log them

i fully understand what is being stated. i want to remove the functionality all together and it seems that it can't be done..
    02-10-09 01:06 PM
    So, no way to stop it huh. I don't understand b/c I NEVER want to see the event log, so why would I want it ?
    The event log can be very useful when youy are getting a pesky error.

I got an error whenever my phone rebooted due to the initialization of an app. With the event log it was quite easy to track down which one was causing the problem.

99% of the time you won't want to see it or use it, but when you have a problem it can save you a lot of diagnostics time.

02-10-09 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD