I think the keyboard is the biggest factor of BlackBerry. It is with me. There are many other things that I like about bb10, but the keyboard, both on the classic and passport are the best.

Who's with me?
    nicky_willz, Oshasat and sirius27 like this.
    08-06-15 01:58 PM
    I don't know, people seem quite happy to leave the keyboard en masse...

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 02:12 PM
    It's not like there are a lot of QWERTY options out there....

If a keyboard is a MUST, then yes those that want it will stay. The question we have been trying to determine over the last two years, is just how many people think that a QWERTY Keyboard is really all that important? 4 Million? 3 Million?
    slick271974 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    08-06-15 02:13 PM
    It's not like there are a lot of QWERTY options out there....

If a keyboard is a MUST, then yes those that want it will stay. The question we have been trying to determine over the last two years, is just how many people think that a QWERTY Keyboard is really all that important? 4 Million? 3 Million?
    And I believe the answer to this question is not enough. Cause if there were enough keyboard users BB wouldn't be in trouble.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-15 02:31 PM
    While I personally have no interest in the Passport, I like the the silver edition format. High quality devices. It remains to be seen if BlackBerry can deliver the quality and reliability.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-15 02:53 PM
    And I believe the answer to this question is not enough. Cause if there were enough keyboard users BB wouldn't be in trouble.
    I'm not "positive" that is true... there have been a lot of growing pains with BB10 and that lack of an ecosystem has also hurt. BlackBerry sales have suffered from a number of problems other that the form factors.

Given a quality keyboard with a full platform and flagship hardware, along with carrier support and marketing..... there could be 10 or 20 million users out there that might prefer a QWERTY device.

Of course I kinda think TYPO gave up because they weren't seeing the sales they hoped for. They could have licensed a keyboard from BlackBerry, Palm, Microsoft, Nokia, Casio.... or just made one up that wasn't so BlackBerryish.
    Witmen and MarsupilamiX like this.
    08-06-15 02:59 PM
    The keyboard is the only reason I bought a Q10. Touch screen BBs have no utility for me. Wouldn't even consider one.
    08-06-15 03:15 PM
    Keep making a hundred post saying the same thing to help you believe it, but it won't make it true. PKB market is shrinking. Overwhelming majority of business and consumers want all touch. PKB is a dying niche. Focus on it at their own demise.

Posted via Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-15 03:27 PM
    As it has been discussed here very often, the keyboard market is very very small. I think we're talking about 0.05% of the market size.

Even though BlackBerry is basically holding a monopoly in this specific market, it is a rather irrelevant one.

To me, BlackBerry means keyboards and they're the reason why I'm using a BlackBerry in the first place. I wouldn't buy a full touch BlackBerry - I'd rather go with a Samsung or so in that case - so I really hope that they'll keep that market alive, no matter how small it may be.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and meow_chan like this.
    08-06-15 03:58 PM
    As it has been discussed here very often, the keyboard market is very very small. I think we're talking about 0.05% of the market size.

Even though BlackBerry is basically holding a monopoly in this specific market, it is a rather irrelevant one.

To me, BlackBerry means keyboards and they're the reason why I'm using a BlackBerry in the first place. I wouldn't buy a full touch BlackBerry - I'd rather go with a Samsung or so in that case - so I really hope that they'll keep that market alive, no matter how small it may be.

Posted via CB10
    So you have not actually used a full touch BlackBerry. Ok I get it... It is the lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 04:08 PM
    That's not necessarily true. I don't mind touchscreen phones. I use one everyday and can type fine on it, but I do miss using a BlackBerry physical keyboard and would love to type on one again. The only problem is i don't want a BB PKB badly enough to use BB10. I know several former BlackBerry users who feel the same way.

The goodness of BlackBerry's keyboards (when they aren't double typing) isn't enough to out weight the cons of BB10 for me and a lot of other people who have switched to other platforms.
    08-06-15 04:20 PM
    So you have not actually used a full touch BlackBerry. Ok I get it... It is the lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    Not only the lack of apps. It's just that if I would go for a full touch phone, I'd evaluate differently and BlackBerry would not come out as the winner.

The physical keyboard is an order winning factor for me.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-06-15 04:22 PM
    Keep making a hundred post saying the same thing to help you believe it, but it won't make it true. PKB market is shrinking. Overwhelming majority of business and consumers want all touch. PKB is a dying niche. Focus on it at their own demise.

Posted via Z30
    I have no idea if it will save them. I said I wouldn't even consider a full touch BB myself. I think if anything can save then it's doing full Android with some really nice features such as the mail client added in on top. But it is probably too late to save handsets.
    08-06-15 06:07 PM
    Not only the lack of apps. It's just that if I would go for a full touch phone, I'd evaluate differently and BlackBerry would not come out as the winner.

The physical keyboard is an order winning factor for me.

Posted via CB10
    I kind of agree with this. If I were ever going to go full touch (never ever, so completely hypothetical) there's really no reason to choose BlackBerry. Besides the app situation, I'd have tons of form factor choices and I'd likely want something big like a Note.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-06-15 06:12 PM
    I'm not "positive" that is true... there have been a lot of growing pains with BB10 and that lack of an ecosystem has also hurt. BlackBerry sales have suffered from a number of problems other that the form factors.

Given a quality keyboard with a full platform and flagship hardware, along with carrier support and marketing..... there could be 10 or 20 million users out there that might prefer a QWERTY device.

Of course I kinda think TYPO gave up because they weren't seeing the sales they hoped for. They could have licensed a keyboard from BlackBerry, Palm, Microsoft, Nokia, Casio.... or just made one up that wasn't so BlackBerryish.
    I'm sure a few million older citizens (and not only those!) would prefer an Android QWERTY style phone � la Classic with a call answer button, not a glas slab to fumble around...

:-)

If they gear it at the Pro market, there is most likely more than a bunch of users that miss their BB keyboards, but ***neeeeeed*** that one special app...

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-06-15 06:19 PM
    For me, a physical keyboard is a requirement in a phone.

In that case, I will most likely still buy a physical keyboard BlackBerry Android phone if it comes to that.

But the best option would be to hoard on the BlackBerry Q10s now!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 06:21 PM
    That's not necessarily true. I don't mind touchscreen phones. I use one everyday and can type fine on it, but I do miss using a BlackBerry physical keyboard and would love to type on one again. The only problem is i don't want a BB PKB badly enough to use BB10. I know several former BlackBerry users who feel the same way.

The goodness of BlackBerry's keyboards (when they aren't double typing) isn't enough to out weight the cons of BB10 for me and a lot of other people who have switched to other platforms.
    Exactly this...

It's still the OS/app issue,... :-)

Keyboard alone won't outweigh this. Maybe even those youngsters in the phone shops could warm up to a Berrydroid for the right target market!

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    nicky_willz likes this.
    08-06-15 06:21 PM
    I think it goes beyond the tactile experience of a physical keyboard and its advantages. Just speaking personally, the use of the pkb on the Passport as a trackpad is quite nice; the shortcuts and actions are another great feature of a pkb that vkb users can't enjoy to the same degree.

Take the Passport, or the Slider, and drop a Samsung logo on it running Android L or M with high end specs and advertise the trackpad, actions and shortcut features properly and then we'll have a better idea, imho. I like BB10 and hope they stick with their own OS, but I can definitely see the appeal to that kind of functionality for a good many Android users. And Apple and Windows users as well though neither company is going to make a pkb imho and their os is proprietary so...
    Last edited by Reaney; 08-06-15 at 07:14 PM.
    nicky_willz likes this.
    08-06-15 07:03 PM
    Few things that make BB unique imo....
    Security.The HUB.Keyboard.Energy Recovery Systems
    Sharing and Managing Docs.Exclusiveness.Professionalism.
    BB also helps my daily productivity being that it's limited
    In apps it prevents me from wasting time while using my phone.
    08-06-15 07:18 PM
    I will stay as long as blackberry keeps releasing keyboard phones.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-06-15 07:24 PM
    Few things that make BB unique imo....
    Security.The HUB.Keyboard.Energy Recovery Systems
    Sharing and Managing Docs.Exclusiveness.Professionalism.
    BB also helps my daily productivity being that it's limited
    In apps it prevents me from wasting time while using my phone.
    Yes, productivity, be productive, be productive. That's the best argument for not having apps, because they limit productivity. Well done.
    21stNow and Donvald like this.
    08-06-15 07:29 PM
    "Even if BlackBerry does android, people will stay for the KEYBOARD"

Me excluded. I'll find something else.
    08-06-15 07:33 PM
    Yes, productivity, be productive, be productive. That's the best argument for not having apps, because they limit productivity. Well done.

Most apps that people use are social media related,imo if your not looking to build a network,manage a business, or create monetary gains for yourself social media is pointless or counter productive.
    08-06-15 07:34 PM
    Most apps that people use are social media related,imo if your not looking to build a network,manage a business, or create monetary gains for yourself social media is pointless or counter productive.
    And what would being productive to you mean if none of the above were what you were trying to do? Do you strive for productivity just for the sake of it? If monetary gains aren't your goal of productivity in the workplace then what is?
    21stNow likes this.
    08-06-15 07:36 PM
    For me, a physical keyboard is a requirement in a phone.

In that case, I will most likely still buy a physical keyboard BlackBerry Android phone if it comes to that.

But the best option would be to hoard on the BlackBerry Q10s now!

Posted via CB10
    This IS the most likely thing that will happen. It is the same thing that happened with the launch of BB10. For the most part, people weren't sure about BB10 when what they already had with BBOS was quite good and had them covered for what they needed it to do.

I'm afraid that I am also in this category as I will not be jumping right along with BlackBerry if they were to go Android. I really want that Slider, but Android, I'm not so sure about. BlackBerry would REALLY have to prove what they can add to the Android base to ensure that what I love about BB10 is not lost. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be able to buy one of those Silver Edition Passports afterall, as that could be the last BlackBerry I would own. (Not in a threatening way, of course - I'm not in a hurry to jump to anything else because if it does what I need it to do, and well, then I'm happy. I could use that thing for 10 years easily.)
    08-06-15 07:45 PM
79 123 ...