I was really excited to see that BBM video FINALLY went cross-platform (at least beta), but am I reading it correctly that it will only work between iOs and Android? So, essentially the next iteration of BLACKBERRY messenger isn't being developed with blackberry devices in mind??? Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 07:27 PM
    I was really excited to see that BBM video FINALLY went cross-platform (at least beta), but am I reading it correctly that it will only work between iOs and Android? So, essentially the next iteration of BLACKBERRY messenger isn't being developed with blackberry devices in mind??? Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you are missing something--it works between BB10 and android. (z30 and Priv)

Edit: the guy changed his mind: Yes you were right. Sorry for mislead people! I was so exciting video called my wife Z30 right after I installed the beta BBM video and when she picked up it went to voice call instead. I was able to video BBM call her Z30, but got hank up because she did not answer, so I assumed that video BBM to my wife Z30 work perfect and later on found out it is not. Next time i will wait until the smoke clear. Sorry!
    Last edited by brookie229; 04-28-16 at 07:44 PM.
    04-28-16 07:30 PM
    Just to clear my post above. I was reading another thread on this subject where a poster was commenting on the fact that he called his wife and first reported that video calling worked between the z30 and Priv. Then in a subsequent post he explained his error. Anyway, hopefully BB10 will be able to video chat cross-platform sometime soon.
    04-28-16 07:49 PM
    Anyway, hopefully BB10 will be able to video chat cross-platform sometime soon.
    Don't count on it. BB simply doesn't have the server capacity to handle that. The population of BB10 users (who can do video chat) is small, and they can handle that volume of traffic, but to open it up to Android (where the vast majority of BB10 users are) and iOS would crush their server farm dead. Note that they outsourced BBM Meetings for that very reason. And IMO the likelihood of BB investing a few hundred million or more to build out server capacity for free video chatting is about zero.
    04-28-16 08:44 PM
    Don't count on it. BB simply doesn't have the server capacity to handle that. The population of BB10 users (who can do video chat) is small, and they can handle that volume of traffic, but to open it up to Android (where the vast majority of BB10 users are) and iOS would crush their server farm dead. Note that they outsourced BBM Meetings for that very reason. And IMO the likelihood of BB investing a few hundred million or more to build out server capacity for free video chatting is about zero.
    You make absolutely no sense. They did open it up to android. All you have to do is read the news in the Crackberry forum.
    04-28-16 08:47 PM
    I don't follow. BB10 is EOL. BlackBerry, such as it remains, has gone Android.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 08:54 PM
    So what actually is the deal here. In this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12408985 a couple of posters are saying that they have video and voice between their Privs and a BB10 device (one a Classic and one a z10). In both cases it appears that the call is initiated by the Priv. So is this correct? I still am confused. (although I admit that doesn't take much for me!)
    04-28-16 09:08 PM
    Is there any chance BlackBerry could be piggybacking on other services' build-outs/bandwidth, ala MVNOs?

Perhaps it could be done in exchange for the user data for marketing purposes, though I'm just hypothesizing. No idea if this would be economical or if competing services would deal.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 09:12 PM
    It is in Beta mode right now, and JUST on Android. Chances are they are just trying it out on Android before they go cross platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a seperate iOS release before a final cross-platform release which will likely include BB10.

I have a more relevant question: has anyone actually had it work on Android? I tried between my wife's Galaxy 4 and our tablet and it doesn't work. Both updated. The video button only shows on the phone. And when you press it, it becomes grey and doesn't work. The button still shows for her phone in a chat with me on my Classic. So, from my testing, I haven't been able to get it to work on Android period, forget cross-platform for now while they just get it to work on Android. I'm sure this is all they are doing with the Beta for now also.
    04-28-16 09:40 PM
    Some CB members have reported video calls between Android and BB10 devices,...so I am confident the feature will become available cross-platform after the beta-testing has been finished.
    Anything else wouldn't make much sense.
    BBM is a great messenger with a lots more potential than WhatsApp, and BBM on BB10 already has Video Call, let alone BB10 is still BlackBerry's own fabulous OS and still fully supported (though some people here deny that fact).
    04-29-16 04:14 AM
    It's Available cross platform, again many ill informed posters here.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 11:16 AM
    It works fine between android phones. I used it earlier today between edge note and s7
    04-29-16 05:51 PM
    It's Available cross platform, again many ill informed posters here.

Posted via CB10
    But, according to Bla1ze and BlackBerry, not when one of those platforms is BB10. In the latter case it only works between BB10 devices and between BB10 devices and the playbook. It defaults to audio if you try to initiate a video chat between bB10 and android or bb10 and IoS devices.
    04-29-16 11:32 PM