I have an 8700c - and I love the 8700 form factor, I think it is the most superior form of blackberry out there.

The problem is, I am never going to be able to get 3g speeds in this form factor with a GSM carrier.

I use to be a GSM advocate because I travel overseas, but since i don't pay for blackberry service out of the country its pretty moot to carry my blackberry else where.

I was curious how EVDO speeds from Sprint and Verizon compare against Cingular's 3g speeds.

I figure EVDO is much more abundant. My friends have a lot of wholes on their 3g network. I could also still get a verizon 8700 series.

Has anyone tried both networks hands on?
    08-06-08 11:28 AM
    I think you're confusing HSDPA with 3G. EvDO is also a 3G technology, as is HSDPA.

It obviously depends on coverage in your area, but I've found that Verizon's EvDO network is the speediest.
    08-06-08 12:02 PM
    And I've found the opposite. Right now,AT&T's 3G network is a little faster than EV-DO. IMO. But they're pretty much the same in regards to speed.
    08-06-08 12:20 PM
    Also note that the EV-DO in my observation, at least on Sprint, is more widely available in the US, where as AT&Ts HSPDA is not available in nearly as many places.
    08-06-08 02:52 PM
    Also note that the EV-DO in my observation, at least on Sprint, is more widely available in the US, where as AT&Ts HSPDA is not available in nearly as many places.
    Same with verizon. Regardless of what anyone says, they both have the same average speeds. Only EVDO has more coverage, making it a better value.

Oh, and J_MC, have you ever used a device with vzw's EVDO?
    08-06-08 04:35 PM
    Same with verizon. Regardless of what anyone says, they both have the same average speeds. Only EVDO has more coverage, making it a better value.

Oh, and J_MC, have you ever used a device with vzw's EVDO?
    Yes, I have. I've also used AT&T's 3G. And my opinion AT&T's 3G is a little faster. Granted, theres not as much coverage right now, that wasn't really the OP's question. And you should check the thread you posted in HERE about the SIM cards.
    08-06-08 04:43 PM
    The AT&T 3g has been proven faster than Sprint & Verizon, but when 3g has good signal strength. For me I love being on the phone and use the data portion, still receive Emails/IMs and other things.
    08-07-08 12:47 AM
    ive compared my 8330 (sprint) with my boyfriends 8820 (ATT) and they seem to be the same speed, but at times my 8330 is faster, also he loses connection a lot more than i do, i NEVER lose connection unless were on a back road in the woods, he loses connections if were sitting in a restaurant or at home, and it happens all the time to him, but it eventually comes back after 10 mins or so
    08-07-08 08:49 AM
    ive compared my 8330 (sprint) with my boyfriends 8820 (ATT) and they seem to be the same speed, but at times my 8330 is faster, also he loses connection a lot more than i do, i NEVER lose connection unless were on a back road in the woods, he loses connections if were sitting in a restaurant or at home, and it happens all the time to him, but it eventually comes back after 10 mins or so
    The problem here is this...

Boyfriend's 8820 from ATT : not 3G

Your 8330 : is 3G

The reason you are not noticing a speed difference is because his 8820 is on EDGE, and I honestly do not think EVDO is that much faster than EDGE for daily use. HSDPA on ATT is a little speedier... (get your hands on his Bold and you will see)

Please do not flame me for stating my opinion on EVDO versus EDGE as I know it is nowhere close speed-wise. I was saying that an average user may not notice the difference
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-07-08 at 09:09 AM.
    08-07-08 08:59 AM
    no doubt his bold kicks my 8330 in the ****, but the bold is also built to be faster and better, i would love to compare a ATT bold to a EVDO bold
    08-07-08 09:12 AM
    I never knew EV-DO was considered 3g. I'm with Alltel and I get EV-DO four bars in my house. It is really fast. I have used my friends 3g Iphone. It was actually a little slower. Maybe it was location and signal strength, maybe BlackBerrys are just better. I think it deals with signal strength. In a AT&T 3G phone with 4 or 5 bars...I'm sure it would be equal or greater than EV-DO.
    08-07-08 09:13 AM
    I never knew EV-DO was considered 3g. I'm with Alltel and I get EV-DO four bars in my house. It is really fast. I have used my friends 3g Iphone. It was actually a little slower. Maybe it was location and signal strength, maybe BlackBerrys are just better. I think it deals with signal strength. In a AT&T 3G phone with 4 or 5 bars...I'm sure it would be equal or greater than EV-DO.
    You may also want to take into consideration that the original iPhone was not 3G. I assume you know this, but making sure

And the iPhone is rendering more when it loads a webpage because it loads the actual page, not a watered down mobile version.

I am just stating some flaws that could have caused this, I am not trying to cause a debate or flame anyone! Also, this could be limitations between devices, not necessarily limitations of EVDO/HSDPA
    08-07-08 09:17 AM
    Don't forget, VZW currently has two versions of EVDO, rev 0 and rev A. All VZW phones use rev 0, which is the slower, older version - except the new LG Dare, which uses rev A. If you get a broadband connection for your laptop, it uses rev
    A. Rev 0 is considerably faster than EDGE, but slower than HSPDA. Rev A is comparable to HSPDA (I don't know if one is faster).
    When I tethered my Curve and tested DL speed, I got 300 to 350 Kb/sec. A friends rev A broadand gets 850 to 900 Kb/sec.

I'm guessing the Thunder and Bold (on CDMA networks) will use rev A.
    08-07-08 09:31 AM
    same for sprint, my HTC Touch is rev A, and my curve isnt
    08-07-08 10:04 AM
    same for sprint, my HTC Touch is rev A, and my curve isnt
    HTC Touch?!?!?!

What blasphemy
    08-07-08 10:12 AM
    The HTC Mogul / AKA PPC-6800 / AKA XV6800 was touted as being upgradable to Rev A..
    08-07-08 10:56 AM
    You may also want to take into consideration that the original iPhone was not 3G. I assume you know this, but making sure

And the iPhone is rendering more when it loads a webpage because it loads the actual page, not a watered down mobile version.

I am just stating some flaws that could have caused this, I am not trying to cause a debate or flame anyone! Also, this could be limitations between devices, not necessarily limitations of EVDO/HSDPA
    It was a new 3G Iphone...I was just putting down my experiences.
    08-07-08 01:17 PM
    It was a new 3G Iphone...I was just putting down my experiences.

He knows... he was just making sure and also stated reasons if you were (in which you were) talking about the iPhone 3g. The iPhone looks as thought you are using a PC with a smaller screen. The BB browser is optimized for the mobile and runs faster. Try having your friend use "wap.crackberry.com" and you do the same as well and see how much faster the iPhone gets. I noticed on mobile optimized sites (using wap), the iPhone is quick.
    08-07-08 08:40 PM
    Comparing an EDGE Curve to an EVDO curve some might not a see huge different (I do) - but, there reason the difference isn't as big as it should is because of the processing power of the curve.

The phone still has to render the web pages which takes ages!

Wait until the Bold comes out, 3g will make a huge difference.

Tethering a phone that has EVDO compared to EDGE has a MASSIVE difference. With a real computer, EDGE is like dial up and EVDO is like broadband.

Also, I hate how everyone says, "finally the bold, a 3g device", or "whahh the javelin doesn't have 3g" Well the Curve has 3g, it's on sprint and verizon, and so will the javelin if it comes to sprint or verizon.

On that note, good job to at&t for making it seem like it's the only 3g device around. That has really caught and sprint needs to replace "sprint speed", with nationwide 3g evdo rev. a coverage - which is much better than sprint.

Wait until we have rev. a phones, then sprint and verizon will be ahead of the curve again.
    08-11-08 07:50 PM
    Tethering a phone that has EVDO compared to EDGE has a MASSIVE difference. With a real computer, EDGE is like dial up and EVDO is like broadband.
    Exactly. People don't realize that this isn't something you can see by just using a phone... phones that are currently on the market just aren't able to render the pages fast enough to keep up with either technology (with the exception of the iphone, which renders at an ok speed).

Tethering is another story. If you actually have a computer that can make use of the network's speed capabilities, I've noticed much faster speeds with evdo. I made the mistake of cancelling my "pc card" and using my blackberry instead. What I didn't realize at the time was that the blackberry doesn't support Rev A. With the card that did support Rev A, I got speeds up to 800kbps, which is comparable to an average DSL connection.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-11-08 at 09:05 PM.
    08-11-08 09:00 PM
    Also, I hate how everyone says, "finally the bold, a 3g device", or "whahh the javelin doesn't have 3g" Well the Curve has 3g, it's on sprint and verizon, and so will the javelin if it comes to sprint or verizon.

On that note, good job to at&t for making it seem like it's the only 3g device around. That has really caught and sprint needs to replace "sprint speed", with nationwide 3g evdo rev. a coverage - which is much better than sprint.

Wait until we have rev. a phones, then sprint and verizon will be ahead of the curve again.
    The reason at&t and others say that, and are right in saying it is because EVDO is 3rd generation (3G) of CDMA. It is not considered 3G in worldwide telecommunications. So if you think about, its Verizon and Sprint that have done a good job of making people think that EVDo is 3G and can be compared to HSDPA. EVDO is slower than HSDPA (GSM) and does not give you data and voice at the SAME time. On top of that you are limited to 1 device at a time. And on top of that, your are limited to 1 device of the very few devices made for the handful of CDMA carriers left around.

I hate how CDMA users bash GSM just because in their ''area'' they might not have good service. Dont bash the technology GSM, because at the end of the day its the world standard, and proven to be better. If you want you can bash at&t and tmobile for not having good coverage, but don't go around saying CDMA EVDO is better than GSM HSDPA. Because its a proven fact that its not, for many reasons.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 08-12-08 at 09:21 AM.
    08-12-08 09:00 AM
    The reason at&t and others say that, and are right in saying it is because EVDO is 3rd generation (3G) of CDMA. It is not considered 3G in worldwide telecommunications. So if you think about, its Verizon and Sprint that have done a good job of making people think that EVDo is 3G and can be compared to HSDPA. EVDO is slower than HSDPA (GSM) and does not give you data and voice at the SAME time. On top of that you are limited to 1 device at a time. And on top of that, your are limited to 1 device of the very few devices made for the handful of CDMA carriers left around.

I hate how CDMA users bash GSM just because in their ''area'' they might not have good service. Dont bash the technology GSM, because at the end of the day its the world standard, and proven to be better. If you want you can bash at&t and tmobile for not having good coverage, but don't go around saying CDMA EVDO is better than GSM HSDPA. Because its a proven fact that its not, for many reasons.
    But CDMA EvDO is better, for one simple reason:

It's available pretty much everywhere I travel. HSDPA isn't. While the technology of HSDPA may be superior to that of EvDO, it's useless to me if I don't have access to it.

Most users evaluate technology based on their ability to use it. So get used to the GSM hatin', because it'll be a while before it's as widely available here in the US as everywhere else.
    08-12-08 11:04 AM
    You must travel in the US only.. Good luck getting your CDMA device to be used overseas as available as it is here.
    08-12-08 11:12 AM
    You must travel in the US only.. Good luck getting your CDMA device to be used overseas as available as it is here.
    Um, yeeeaaaaahhh. Where I travel is what matters to me. Where you travel doesn't. It's all about personal relevance, and I assumed that would be blatantly obvious from my post . . .
    08-12-08 11:22 AM
    You mention EvDO IS better, which is YOUR opinion.

Oh, and GSM as widely available as EvDO?

Looky here,

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Isn't that a shocker that GSM IS just about as widely available as EvDO. I think you mean HSDPA isn't as widely available.. the difference is almost negligible, but there could be instances, obviously where you get better service over another carrier in your house. Heck I get 1 bar AT&T, but full Sprint service.. =/

And as I posted in the another thread, CDMA has a tad over 270 million subscribers. GSM has over 1 billion.

And that 1 time you decide to travel overseas where you aren't able to use your Verizon devices.. what are you going to do? ooh, that's right, ride them GSM nuts via a pre-paid device. =)
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-12-08 at 11:49 AM.
    08-12-08 11:43 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD