While this doesn't have much to do with phone security, I thought I'd post this.
    One of the corporations that uses Epsilon is one that I have a credit card with.
    I received an e-mail about this on Saturday too. Pretty scary considering that
    credit card numbers and social security numbers can just as easily be exposed.

Millions exposed in massive Epsilon security breach | BGR

Also remember that this matter could trigger fraudulent but very legitimate
    looking e-mails asking for account authorization. Be careful.

Banks, credit-card issuers warn of email breach - Yahoo! Finance
    Last edited by FigureThisOut; 04-04-11 at 12:09 PM.
    04-04-11 12:06 PM
    Its a grim reminder that there are criminals out there waiting to virtually attempt to virtually hijack your assets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 01:10 PM
    Yup....I got an email from Best Buy this morning telling my my email address had been compromised.
    04-04-11 01:14 PM
    Yup....I got an email from Best Buy this morning telling my my email address had been compromised.
    Likewise. What really jumped out at me was the date that BestBuy says Epsilon informed them of this breach: March 31st. It takes five days to give people warning? Good thing it wasn't a credit card number.

04-04-11 01:50 PM
    Likewise. What really jumped out at me was the date that BestBuy says Epsilon informed them of this breach: March 31st. It takes five days to give people warning? Good thing it wasn't a credit card number.

My e-mail came on Saturday morning which was the 2nd. Who knows why.
    And they actually made sure to send me the same e-mail six hours later.
    This was US Bank
    04-04-11 01:53 PM
    iv gotten LOTS! between the wife and myself... about 6 different emails about this from different companies...

TiVo, best buy, etc etc
    04-04-11 02:04 PM
    I got an email from US Bank on Saturday, but I saw the story on Twitter as soon as it was on the various PC and security blogs I follow.
    04-04-11 02:08 PM

New regulations, including MA 201 CMR 17, require timely reporting of breaches. Depending on how you interpret that, and other, legislation, a breach with just name and email (or read another way, no personally identifiable sensitive info such as CC#, social, etc.) may not require the same response.

That being said, I am amazed that this was communicated as quickly as it was. A quick perusal of the internet and dataloss websites will show you that there often may be a significant amount of time between incident and reporting.

My e-mail came on Saturday morning which was the 2nd. Who knows why.
    And they actually made sure to send me the same e-mail six hours later.
    This was US Bank
    iv gotten LOTS! between the wife and myself... about 6 different emails about this from different companies...

TiVo, best buy, etc etc
    The current (hopefully no more) list of companies involved is as follows:

• Abe Books
    • American Express
    • Ameriprise Financial
    • Barclays Bank of Delaware
    • BestBuy
    • Borders
    • Brookstone
    • Capital One
    • Citibank
    • City Market
    • CollegeBoard
    • Dillons
    • Disney Vacations
    • Food 4 Less
    • Fred Meyer
    • Fry’s
    • Hilton Honors
    • The Home Shopping Network
    • Jay C
    • JP Morgan Chase
    • King Soopers
    • Kroger
    • LL Bean
    • Marriott Rewards
    • McKinsey Quarterly
    • New York & Co.
    • QFC
    • Ralphs
    • Ritz Carlton
    • Robert Half
    • Smith Brands
    • TiVo
    • US Bank
    • Verizon
    • Visa
    • Walgreens

I obtained this list from: Epsilon Breach Raises Specter of Spear Phishing — Krebs on Security

My company works in the space of reducing the risk of breach, privacy issues, etc. However, I don't want to violate any forum rules. so if you are interested in what services my company can provide, or would like our blog, twitter, or web URLs, please send me a PM.
    04-04-11 02:30 PM

TiVo, best buy, etc etc
    I did too, I've got five as of right now and I wouldn't be surprised if I get a few more over the next day or two.
    04-04-11 02:31 PM
    Must be something in the air lately, I just got an email from work saying our email accounts might have been compromised by a scam, nothing to do with the problem you guys have in this post, but damm this crap is starting to get old with me.

I'm one of the retired veterans you may have heard about some 5 years ago when some ***** lost the disc with millions of veterans (and their families) names, SSNs, medical records, etc.

Paying for identity theft protection is not cheep.
    Last edited by Jaszman; 04-04-11 at 09:16 PM. Reason: PS
    04-04-11 08:58 PM
    ....not sure if it is coincidence or not, but within hours of receiving notification that my email had been compromised, my company PC was taken over by a Windows Home Security Virus - this thing is nasty and a real pain in the posterior.

My computer has been out of commission for a day as IT deals with it.
    04-05-11 08:23 AM
    ....not sure if it is coincidence or not, but within hours of receiving notification that my email had been compromised, my company PC was taken over by a Windows Home Security Virus - this thing is nasty and a real pain in the posterior.

Just glad I don't use windows regularly, only for a few things and that isn't web surfing either. Thank the hackers and FOSS for linux. I ain't getting no spy sheriff on my desktop so many variants of that **** it's insane.

04-06-11 04:23 AM
    These companies should look long and hard at what is being outsourced.

04-06-11 09:30 AM

Most likely the AV2011 malware stuff that got a quick bump in activity last week. Boot in Safe Mode and run a restore to a few days prior. Then boot back up and run a cleaner for such things and if needed, manually delete a directory and a few files. Pretty simple cleanup, but I've seen one help desk noob and another user waste money on a Geek Squad noob cleanup that consisted of wasting time and money with an OS reinstall.
    04-06-11 10:07 AM
    Most likely the AV2011 malware stuff that got a quick bump in activity last week. Boot in Safe Mode and run a restore to a few days prior. Then boot back up and run a cleaner for such things and if needed, manually delete a directory and a few files. Pretty simple cleanup, but I've seen one help desk noob and another user waste money on a Geek Squad noob cleanup that consisted of wasting time and money with an OS reinstall.

i love it when you talk boots.....
    04-06-11 10:12 AM
    I have a lot of accounts that used this company and just finished changing my email address and closing the old account.

I'm always cautious when I receive emails but just can't imagine how many pieces of junk I'm about to get.

Good thing for free email addresses.
    04-06-11 11:41 AM
    I got this email too from 3 companies: Best Buy, Chase Bank, and Walgreens.
    04-06-11 04:15 PM
    I would just reimage the desktop myself.

04-08-11 06:51 AM
    Yup, I got emails from US Bank and Best Buy. Thought it was some sort of scam at first.
    04-09-11 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD