My desktop browser can stream from Netflix and Hulu, and there's a Kindle app as well. From what I know, PlayBook is 0-for-3 on those. In other words, despite what you're saying, the PlayBook has its own compromises, and the tepid developer support thus far isn't helping.
    How many times will this trio be the argument? The web is limitless in quality streaming sites for movies and television. I haven't been to hulu in a long time and I swapped out netflix for amazon prime along with the tons of sites that offer me my content for free on the web...nbc, comedy central, the history channel, xfinity, espn3, justintv and so on. But much of that content viewed the way I view it on my playbook does require flash. If you bought an app to do that then so be it, but don't act like the three vendors you list are the only options for the exact same content. That is how it was yesterday, not today. Kindle is a preference plain and simple. There are ebook readers out there that are not kindle with very large selections.
    luna9698 likes this.
    07-30-11 05:10 PM
    are you living in a cave or what.. blackberry has some good weather apps
    What's the most full featured one you know of? Genuine question, not trolling, I've haven't really found a good one, but I only know of a couple of them.
    07-30-11 05:15 PM
    What's the most full featured one you know of? Genuine question, not trolling, I've haven't really found a good one, but I only know of a couple of them.
    Berryweather is a good one. Limitless locations, multiple forcast views and good radar maps.
    07-30-11 05:20 PM
    there are many paid as well as free ones, TWC and Weathereye are free ones which gets the work done.

Weather - Download Apps - BlackBerry App World

But if you are looking for a instant access to current conditions plus detailed 7-day and 24-hour forecasts for locations worldwide. Get weather advisories and animated radar maps anywhere in the U.S via Push notifications then BeWeather is the app. I think BeWeather is far superior than you can think of on most platforms.
    07-30-11 05:33 PM
    Please read my last post. I never said bb doesn't offer those key features. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-11 06:07 PM
    are you living in a cave or what.. blackberry has some good weather apps
    Yes, and they only cost $10.
    07-30-11 06:32 PM
    there are many free apps, in btw, BeWeather has a free version too..
    07-30-11 06:47 PM
    While that app is high in cost, it is realtively meaningless for what most can afford. It is also on sale for $5 almost every month.

07-30-11 07:11 PM
    I thought the article was well written, and brought up some good points about RIM and the future. As I've said before, they need to put the focus on business. Consumers will be attracted by it's strengths over the other phones. If they try to continue being all things, they will fail.

The new phones coming to market, from all I've read and heard do close the gap. OS7 does look to be more of a win than people expect. Let's keep in mind, a few short years ago iphone was new, and Android was in a think tank. I don't think it's too hard to believe RIM can't catch another wave, and shoot past the competition once again. Especially when you consider the tiered data plans most folks are facing in the next few years. Their compressed data will be one of their strongest marketable features.

Please, enough with the one line posts of RIM's death. Surely if you believe that strongly you have to contribute, you can make an educated argument for it.
    John Yester and grover5 like this.
    07-30-11 07:27 PM
    This is one of the most cohesive and concise (well, ok, it was a bit lengthy, but still...) articles on the subject I've read in a long while. It sums up what many of us have been saying for a good while now.

That being said, I also agree with MarketRide's statement that the "consumer market can switch on a dime." There's a lot of proof to that effect. For the most part, consumers don't really care about the intricacies of the mechanics, they simply want wow factor that is reliable and meets not only their needs, but their wants as well. As a result, what's good today is likely going to be relegated to sub-par tomorrow.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the stockholders have allowed Mike and Jim to last as long as they have. I never felt confident enough in RIM to buy their stock, and I'm sure glad I didn't. I know had I been a substantial stock holder, I would have cried for their ouster a long time ago. I'm sick of hearing about the PB. RIM has forgotten they reached their apogee not on tablets, but on phones. You wanna do a tablet, fine, good move, but don't forget your base in the process.

Even I am growing weary of waiting.

One other thing. My signature line was written years ago and it's getting close to the time where I will have to change it. Our phones are computers, albeit not quite all the way there yet.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 07-31-11 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
    07-31-11 11:05 AM
    ...they need to put the focus on business. Consumers will be attracted by it's strengths over the other phones. If they try to continue being all things, they will fail.
    .. a few short years ago iphone was new, and Android was in a think tank. I don't think it's too hard to believe RIM can't catch another wave, and shoot past the competition once again. Especially when you consider the tiered data plans most folks are facing in the next few years. Their compressed data will be one of their strongest marketable features.
    Great points. Although they definitely need to win back the general populous of consumers to increase volume and sales. Also agree, this cell phone market is so short term and can change very quickly. I remember the first iPhone coming out and thinking, there is no way that will sell. Its does not do business for business people and the price point is too high for consumers joe. Wow was I wrong (and naive) !! Turns out that phone has REVOLUTIONIZED the mobile phone market. The emphasis on a big touch screen with tons of silly games and simplicity has completed changed our perception of what consumes think phones are all about.

So if RIM, and thats kind of a big if, can turn the bus around and gain market share with the consumers and maintain business market share its good. I do completely agree their strongest selling point is the compressed data plans (I switched from android G1 to a 9700 three weeks ago, I have experienced this first hand). With the removal of the last unlimited data plan from the major 2 carriers (not sure on the others) with the last 2 months or so this will play a huge effect IF rim can properly tell the world about how well that works (do they have a marketing dept?). Also you would think carriers would jump on that too, after how much the iPhone's unlimited data usages drag down their networks.

Sorry for the long message.. But RIM, lets get the show on the road and hit a home run in the coming years. Now is the perfect storm for it, I think its sink or swim time.
    07-31-11 05:17 PM
    ... Turns out that phone has REVOLUTIONIZED the mobile phone market. The emphasis on a big touch screen with tons of silly games and simplicity has completed changed our perception of what consumes think phones are all about ...
    This is the crux of the problem. What RIM is facing is dealing with a stupid populace, mesmerized by specs it thinks it needs when its mindset is actually mired in silly games and simplicity. RIM should continue to focus on the international realm, security, data compression, and its core business/government enterprise sector -- no, every company isn't going to cave in to crybaby employees who want iPhones -- and hopefully there will be enough intelligent consumers and consumers who come to their senses to supplement sales. (Some iPhone and Android security breaches will hopefully help some of those consumers come to their senses.) Just because everyone thinks it's "cool" to ride around in a gigantic four wheel drive pickup truck with tandem rear wheels while hauling air doesn't mean that it's sensible. Today's spec-worshiping consumer is that air hauler.

07-31-11 05:57 PM
    This is the crux of the problem. What RIM is facing is dealing with a stupid populace, mesmerized by specs it thinks it needs when its mindset is actually mired in silly games and simplicity.
    This wasn't a problem when RIM was competing with Palm and Windows Mobile, probably because neither was very impressive.

RIM should continue to focus on the international realm, security, data compression, and its core business/government enterprise sector -- no, every company isn't going to cave in to crybaby employees who want iPhones -- and hopefully there will be enough intelligent consumers and consumers who come to their senses to supplement sales.
    This is exactly what RIM has been/is doing. It's not working.

Just because everyone thinks it's "cool" to ride around in a gigantic four wheel drive pickup truck with tandem rear wheels while hauling air doesn't mean that it's sensible.
    You're just one "Get off my lawn" away from sounding like a bitter old man. I don't know where you got the 4WD truck analogy, but it's awful for one simple reason: there isn't a single thing on this planet that "everyone" thinks is cool. Not one. And of the things liked by the greatest number of people, "four wheel drive pick up truck with tandem rear wheels hauling air" (hauling air? huh?) does not make the list. I wish I could say "nice try," but I can't for reasons obvious to everyone other than you I imagine.

Today's spec-worshiping consumer is that air hauler.
    So we went from "everyone" thinking those trucks were cool to consumers actually being the "air hauler"? Do you even understand what you're saying?
    07-31-11 06:27 PM
    This is exactly what RIM has been/is doing. It's not working.
    Says who? Economist101? I disagree. It works for me. Works for RIM, too, as I just bought a 9650.

I don't know where you got the 4WD truck analogy, but it's awful for one simple reason: there isn't a single thing on this planet that "everyone" thinks is cool. Not one. And of the things liked by the greatest number of people, "four wheel drive pick up truck with tandem rear wheels hauling air" (hauling air? huh?) does not make the list. I wish I could say "nice try," but I can't for reasons obvious to everyone other than you I imagine.

So we went from "everyone" thinking those trucks were cool to consumers actually being the "air hauler"? Do you even understand what you're saying?
    Well, I'll be honest, Economist: I see you riding around in a Hummer. As stupid as that is, it works for GM.
    07-31-11 06:38 PM
    Yes, blame it on the customers... stupid people.

More "pure ignorance" on your part.
    That's just it: I am a customer, and I don't have any problem with the vendor (RIM); I'm abundantly pleased with it. In fact, I just bought a BlackBerry and renewed my contract.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-31-11 09:34 PM
    For the love of Pete! It's a difference of opinion. Why ya'll have to get your websticles in knots instead of simply debating facts I can't understand, but the mud slinging needs to end.
    austriker likes this.
    07-31-11 10:04 PM
    Yea I definitely did not mean to start this whole debate/argument.. These tend to get out of hand fast. Lets all just make up and say, good luck RIM we hope you will do the best in the future. For our sake (as customers of BB) and yours..
    07-31-11 10:11 PM
    Yeah lets close the thread.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-31-11 at 10:23 PM. Reason: the "yawnz" needs to go
    07-31-11 10:13 PM
    Says who? Economist101? I disagree. It works for me. Works for RIM, too, as I just bought a 9650.
    Says RIM's earnings reports, stock price and their revised guidance. It's not hard to figure out.
    07-31-11 10:27 PM
    Yea I definitely did not mean to start this whole debate/argument.. These tend to get out of hand fast. Lets all just make up and say, good luck RIM we hope you will do the best in the future. For our sake (as customers of BB) and yours..
    I'm sure you didn't, and it doesn't need to get out of hand.

Yeah lets close the thread.
    No, there's no need to close the thread. Even those of us who are pro RIM can have a disagreement over which direction is best. The problem is some can't seem to have a civil discourse.
    07-31-11 10:27 PM
    Says RIM's earnings reports, stock price and their revised guidance. It's not hard to figure out.
    I don't put a whole lot of "stock" in that pseudo-science you try to pass off as all-decisive. If it wasn't smoke and mirrors, it wouldn't be called "generally accepted accounting principles"; it would be called something else like "accounting facts."

01itr likes this.
    07-31-11 10:47 PM
    I personally don't think RIM is going the Palm route, and from what's on the horizon it seems as if something great is coming up in 2012. However how much weight we can put on that is dampened by the unfulfilled promises for the QNX-powered Playbook. Then again, I don't know if the Playbook was even meant for the consumer market as much as the corporate/government sector.

Can anybody tell me what's RIM's vision for the future of handheld devices? Seems like they're putting a lot of emphasis on Social. The Nokia and MS partnership created a term you'd have probably heard quite a bit, the "people-centric" WP7, which is in line with Nokia's line "Connecting People". Social as well? It's clear that Apple's in the cloud, and it is yet to be seen how it will pan out.
    08-01-11 02:15 AM
    Everyone else is doing tabs better than RIM. Even Moto with their half baked Xoom eventually got it right. Playbook is no where near where it needs to be & iPad 3 is just around the corner.
    While it's true that the PB may not be considered "ready" for the consumer, its current iteration has achieved something that no other tablet has....certification for use within the government. The PB's 3G version will tell if it will in fact grab the consumer market.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-01-11 03:12 AM
    As a non BlackBerry user (only untill the new devices appear) my perspective comes from the world I have to live in, I like gadgets, tech and progress. If it were not for the (BlackBerry way) I would not be able to use a mobile phone in the future for my work, I work in health, it seems to me that most other platforms are moving into the cloud and whilst the tech side of me loves that, it isn't secure. My world is in UK with all its laws etc. Today a teenager, from the Shetland isle,has been arrested for hacking into gov investigation files. My world is being made smaller in a sense with data transferr "NHS" as "on site only issue". So I would agree with the post, in fact turn it on it's head, that maybe the free for all particularly in the UK, Europe may lead to the demise of less secure platforms particularly for commerse etc. I would also like to suggest that maybe RIMM is actually showing great forsight as I think our world needs to become more secure not less, and the application fad which helps to make platforms less secure will rationalise and moderate. BlackBerry are already in this place and my guess is that secure servers at this level is the way forward. I think also that the consumer market will also need to wise up in this area. This is my world, my reality and a longer view.
    PS Australian Gov approve Playbook and bridge when coupled with BlackBerry Smart phone.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 08-01-11 at 10:48 AM.
    BigBadWulf and the_sleuth like this.
    08-01-11 03:39 AM
    The media is always looking to either do bad or good PR. I don't listen or feed into what the media is doing, nor do I care less what they're trying to brainwash me with, it doesn't work. I think for myself.<br />
    <br />

PS. RIM, regardless of not being on top of the line, is doing fine. I still have my services
    08-09-11 09:01 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD