i picked up my BB and entered the password incorrectly, which i do at times. i have my attempts set at 5. No big deal. i only entered it wrong once.

After entering the incorrect password my device prompted me to enter 'blackberry. ' Never happened before but since i've been on cb a few months i knew this happened right before a wipe.

i pulled the battery, tried to enter my correct pw, not 'blackberry' (it showed what i was typing, not ***).

Eventually i just accepted it and typed 'blackberry' thinking my device would wipe. It didn't though. It then said to enter my password 3/5 attempts.

i did and got in fine. Why did this happen? i thought that only happened after all attempts are used up and tying 'blackberry' wipes it?

A glitch? New security. i downloaded a new app for netflix. Could that cause it? i'm paranoid now that it's some phishing scheme. Is that possible?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 04:28 PM
    no its just something it prompts you to do after you enter in the wrong password. it does it to me all the time when I'm ummm... in another state of mind and forget my password
    10-23-08 04:33 PM
    Right, but i never had it do this after entering my password wrong ONCE. It usually just tells me incorrect and i enter it a second time and i'm good.

i thought it only happened after you've used all your attempts and then you enter blackberry and device wipes. am i wrong here?

10-23-08 04:35 PM
    it didn't reset my password. Or device. strange.

10-23-08 04:37 PM
    Right, but i never had it do this after entering my password wrong ONCE. It usually just tells me incorrect and i enter it a second time and i'm good.

i thought it only happened after you've used all your attempts and then you enter blackberry and device wipes. am i wrong here?

I guess it does that to me because I have my attempts set at 3. Maybe I need to rethink my number of attempts
    10-23-08 04:41 PM
    i picked up my BB and entered the password incorrectly, which i do at times. i have my attempts set at 5. No big deal. i only entered it wrong once.

After entering the incorrect password my device prompted me to enter 'blackberry. ' Never happened before but since i've been on cb a few months i knew this happened right before a wipe.

i pulled the battery, tried to enter my correct pw, not 'blackberry' (it showed what i was typing, not ***).

Eventually i just accepted it and typed 'blackberry' thinking my device would wipe. It didn't though. It then said to enter my password 3/5 attempts.

i did and got in fine. Why did this happen? i thought that only happened after all attempts are used up and tying 'blackberry' wipes it?

A glitch? New security. i downloaded a new app for netflix. Could that cause it? i'm paranoid now that it's some phishing scheme. Is that possible?

Typing blackberry doesn't trigger a wipe unless you manually activate the wipe..Options > Security Options > General Settings > Menu > Wipe HH. When at the password prompt, the wrong password on the last attempt triggers the wipe, not typing blackberry.

When you have it set to 5, it will ask you to type blackberry after 2 wrong attempts and again after the 3rd and 4th wrong attempts. It does this as a type of fail safe in case the keys get pressed accidentally, like while in your pocket or purse. When it asks you to type blackberry, it does not count it as an attempt.

So in your case, the wrong password had already been entered once, hence the 3/5 it showed you after typing blackberry.

hth,

e.n.
    10-23-08 06:09 PM
    exactly what he ^ said. It's done it to me several times...
    10-23-08 08:33 PM
    Awesome! That is good to know! It makes sense too!

Thank you!

10-23-08 08:41 PM
    Can you set the security for more than 30 minutes?
    10-23-08 09:05 PM
    Yes.

Options
    Security Options
    General Settings
    Security Timeout: 1 Min to 1 Hour

10-24-08 05:57 AM
    This has happened to me as well. I was confident I was typing the password correcty. Except, when I was forced to type "blackberry", I discovered the Alt key was activated and I was typing numbers instead the word blackberry.

In that sense, it is a pretty cool feature.

10-24-08 01:56 PM
    This has happened to me as well. I was confident I was typing the password correcty. Except, when I was forced to type "blackberry", I discovered the Alt key was activated and I was typing numbers instead the word blackberry.

In that sense, it is a pretty cool feature.

oh, yeah, i think it's a great feature!
    10-24-08 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD