RIM/BlackBerry need to get their BB10 devices out by the end of this Summer. Not only do they need to do that, they need to "wow" customers and GET THAT #2 spot. Yeah, not #1, because that will take years. I mean, look at Apple, it's not like they came out of nowhere with the iPod and then the iPhone, it took them a long time.

I don't like seeing people out here saying they'll be happy to see RIM settle for #3 and #4. I mean, who else is out there to compete with after #4? #4 is last and there's pretty much no-one else behind.

I agree with B1aze (however his name is spelt). The BlackBerry OS is fine, it's the developers that need to jump on board and get them apps rolling in. For example, the Android market just got Temple Run.......what about the BlackBerry? I'm talking about the 9900's, the 9930's, basically the touchscreen OS 7 phones. Let's face it, if the developers are gonna develop something, it's gonna be OS7 and not OS5 and 6.

I just feel like RIM/BlackBerry are gettin' picked on. Then again, you could argue it's their own fault, but damn it, there's nothing wrong with the OS7 phones. Especially with the 9900/9930, they're awesome!

Rant Over. Back to being positive about RIM's future
    03-29-12 06:42 PM
    It's not a question of "settling" so much as being realistic. RIM has gone from being the original Smartphone maker to being marginal.

They've got a lot of ground to make up. I think they can do it, but it's going to take time. In the meantime, I agree; there's little point in aiming at a position in the market share charts. They just need to build the best Blackberries they can, present them to customers with the best marketing they can buy, and let the market decide.
    03-29-12 06:53 PM
    I dont think the blackberry os ecosystem is fine like you say. If developers have to develop 4 different versions of the same app, that's not really fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-29-12 06:57 PM
    It's not a question of "settling" so much as being realistic. RIM has gone from being the original Smartphone maker to being marginal.

They've got a lot of ground to make up. I think they can do it, but it's going to take time. In the meantime, I agree; there's little point in aiming at a position in the market share charts. They just need to build the best Blackberries they can, present them to customers with the best marketing they can buy, and let the market decide.
    Preach, my brother lol.

In all honesty, not every iPhone/Android user is that clued up on having every app they can get their hands on. My best friend has GTA III installed on his SII, but ask him how many times he's actually played on it? Or whether he really uses 90% of the apps he has installed. He hasn't, because he doesn't need them.

Don't get me wrong, having them apps would be PERFECT, but what RIM need to focus on is their marketing and gaining some respect once and for all..
    03-29-12 07:00 PM
    I dont think the blackberry os ecosystem is fine like you say. If developers have to develop 4 different versions of the same app, that's not really fine.

They don't have to. Why not focus on just OS 7? Yeah, the majority of BB users may be on OS6, but if Apple can convince users to buy their New iPad which is pretty much the same device as the iPad 2 or buy the 4s when it looks EXACTLY the same as the 4, then why can't RIM do the same? This is where the corrrect marketing structure comes in place, this is where RIM need to take a page out of Apple's book.
    03-29-12 07:05 PM
    Yes I totally agree,RIM should be just fine with bb10 coming over the horizon,also security on there smartphones is just great thank you blackberry.I have one question who will still stay with Blackberry??
    03-29-12 07:10 PM
    I have one question who will still stay with Blackberry??
    Current, open-minded BlackBerry fanboys who are willing to take a low-blow by Apple and Android Stans until BB10. Although, the Android fans aren't so bad, considering they know the capablities of the Playbook ;-) lol.
    03-29-12 07:16 PM
    They don't have to. Why not focus on just OS 7? Yeah, the majority of BB users may be on OS6, but if Apple can convince users to buy their New iPad which is pretty much the same device as the iPad 2 or buy the 4s when it looks EXACTLY the same as the 4, then why can't RIM do the same? This is where the corrrect marketing structure comes in place, this is where RIM need to take a page out of Apple's book.
    That would make sense if RIM was anything like apple. But they aren't. It remains to be seen if they can ever convince people to buy a followup device like apple does. & The people who have os6 devices probably aren't in a position to buy another device like the average apple customer.

So why should they have to rely on that anyway? Why would any sane manufacturer have bussiness model like that? Why can't these devices all run the same software and be more integrated? Even if Apple did explicitly intend to have people upgeade to whatever their latest model is, they still atleast give their old customers that same level of software support. RIM does that to almost no extent.

Bilaal likes this.
    03-29-12 07:20 PM
    That would make sense if RIM was anything like apple. But they aren't. It remains to be seen if they can ever convince people to buy a followup device like apple does. & The people who have os6 devices probably aren't in a position to buy another device like the average apple customer.

So why should they have to rely on that anyway? Why would any sane manufacturer have bussiness model like that? Why can't these devices all run the same software and be more integrated? Even if Apple did explicitly intend to have people upgeade to whatever their latest model is, they still atleast give their old customers that same level of software support. RIM does that to almost no extent.

You got me there, haha. I agree with you and this is the frustrating, blunt truth with RIM. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still remaining hopefull and positive with them, because it's not that they're doing terrible right now, they're just not going anywhere, in terms of making moves. Sure, the OS2 for the Playbook, but that was 6months+ late.

This discussion will be a of a lot interesting in exactly 1 years time.
    03-29-12 07:24 PM
    The smartphone market is a strange one that's for sure. There are handfuls of brands of cars, clothing, music, electronics and so on. But why are the masses sticking to Apple and Android ? Most of us want to stand out from the crowd and be different. So why are we all choosing the same mobile device ?

I have been saying this for a long time now. RIM needs to stick with the basics. Make a premium phone with quality materials. Make a mobile device that stands out from the rest. If you do that, people will not care if it has an app that will teach you how to take a dump on Mars.
    03-29-12 07:55 PM
    The smartphone market is a strange one that's for sure. There are handfuls of brands of cars, clothing, music, electronics and so on. But why are the masses sticking to Apple and Android ? Most of us want to stand out from the crowd and be different. So why are we all choosing the same mobile device ?

I have been saying this for a long time now. RIM needs to stick with the basics. Make a premium phone with quality materials. Make a mobile device that stands out from the rest. If you do that, people will not care if it has an app that will teach you how to take a dump on Mars.
    You need to remember, there's a lot of "lock-in" when it comes to these devices. Apple has FaceTime that requires each user to be on an Apple device (yes, yes, the Playbook's Video Chat is the same thing, I know), Microsoft is touting compatibility with its online services as a feature of Windows Phones, and while I don't have a very high opinion of Android in general, the Google services that are baked in are impressive.
    03-29-12 08:00 PM

but isnt this exactly what the PB is for the most part?
    03-29-12 08:01 PM
    ^^ Yea it is kind of. I was talking more about phones tho.
    03-29-12 09:07 PM
    Im just saying BB10 will need app support even if its the best hardware on the market and can stand out. Without the apps (ecosystem) its still not going to become as successful as it needs to be.
    03-29-12 09:14 PM
    Yeah agree
    I have no doubt BB10 phones will be powerful if the PB is any
    indication of that, but without those much needed Apps a lot
    of people will not consider dropping their iPhone/Android phones
    for one. RIM does know this and I believe they will probably loose a lot of money in this negotiating process, but I strongly believe the key apps will be available at launch.
    03-29-12 10:35 PM
    ....don't worry. RIM will be #1 or #2 again. Shortly after they are bought by 1, 2, or 3.
    03-29-12 11:33 PM
    some develpers just need to jump on and cause a ripple effect.

potential: 75 000 000 customers x $.99 app = HELLO THE TOP ONE PERCENT

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-30-12 12:07 AM
    It's not like there's anything wrong with the current OS 7 phones, but they seem to be overshadowed by the long list of previous BB phones that run OS5 and 6.

One thing they need to look at is the number of models they wish to release. Kill the Storms and Pearls and keep it to Bolds, Curve's and possibly a Torch.
    03-30-12 02:28 AM
    Im just saying BB10 will need app support even if its the best hardware on the market and can stand out. Without the apps (ecosystem) its still not going to become as successful as it needs to be.
    Yes.

The rules have changed, and apps matter. Certain apps have achieved enough recognition that they should be considered cross-platform features. If they're not available, the effect is the same as the device lacking essential features. Other apps may be niche apps, but they still matter a great deal to the people who use them, and will influence their buying decision. Not everybody is a musician, but those who are will certainly want to be able to use the various musicians' apps. The same goes for doctors, lawyers, engineers, and so on. There are specialty apps for all of them, and the developers of these apps understand that their best chance of selling them is to put them on the platforms with the most users. This makes it hard to interest them in platforms with few users, unless someone is offering incentives.

If BB10 is launched and most of the popular apps, such as Kindle, Netflix, Skype, Pandora, etc. are missing, it's going to be grim.
    03-30-12 07:50 AM
    All I have to say is that we need to stick in there and survive the bashing and wait for bb10

When that arrives, hopefully we can be able to withstand market and financial blows.

We are very close to a one shot kill.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342
    03-30-12 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD