I think it is about time QNX starts thinking outside the box and instead start developing non-auto related CES prototypes for its products and other products that BlackBerry is involved in.
    For instance, maybe they can develop a prototype of a vending machine that will work with the BB electronic wallet system to accept NFC payments.
    It could also send back information about sales, notify the owner about malfunctions (a pet peeve of mine with the vending machines at work) or notify them when certain products are sold out.
    Everyone knows about how QNX works in automobiles. They should start showing other uses for it.
    Geeoff likes this.
    02-02-13 10:55 AM
    No i disagree.. I disagree respectful of course.. I disagree because car infotainment systems and hand free connectivity is becoming more and more standard... The next wave of mobility is in cars.. There are cars now with wifi built into them, theres more and more lower end cars offering touch screen navigation systems, and total phone control.. There are apps that are built for in car entertainment.. My in car system has several apps on it that sync with iphones.... currently my blackberry nor my android work so they stay greyed out.. If blackberry stays on top of this market and innovate, they will have a sort of monopoly in that industry... They need to keep doing what they are doing.. their incar entertainment previews look promising to lead the way into the future of mobile computing
    02-02-13 11:18 AM
    Much of that type of stuff is coming down the pipe now. Coke is working on it as I am sure many others are.
    BBRY, I imagine, will be the engine, not the body.
    02-02-13 11:25 AM
    I'm sure they are not simply sitting there and working on nothing but car systems. There is a lot going on in preparation for the "internet of things". The reason we keep hearing about the automotive sector is 1, because it's already becoming standard in new cars, 2, because it's a way to monetize their system on a large scale, and 3, it gets the name QNX in the public eye and creates mindshare. Up until RIM bought them, they were already in soooooo many systems but it wasn't until after, that we all started to hear about it.
    02-02-13 11:52 AM
    If one notice that the BB desktop manager has now been named as BB Link. Interesting that they chose the name "Link"...as in linking all other devices together to the QNX engine, that's what I think. So BB is doing something else other than just car systems. But if you get things going with cars...the money and popularity of your system will increase that much more (...and I believe smart houses may be next).

Also, I don't know if this involves QNX, not directly I suppose, but last I heard BB was working with the French airport to test out a system using BB10 (or something similar) for consumers and airport transit.

One thing I just thought of while typing this, can QNX be implemented for desktop/laptop systems?
    02-02-13 12:03 PM
    M2M Summit starts Feb.4, 2013 in Vancouver - Certicom and QNX will present

M2M Summit | Wavefront Summits Week
    M2M Summit
    February 4 – 5, 2013
    Register Partner Summit
    February 5, 2013
    Apply Now Business Summit
    February 5 – 6, 2013
    More Details Machine-to-Machine technologies are changing the way we do business. Learn from the top players in the M2M ecosystem at this marquee event.
    In addition to the Summit, Wavefront & IEEE present:
    Overview of Machine-to-Machine (M2M) for Engineers and Managers Course
    02-02-13 12:10 PM
    One thing I just thought of while typing this, can QNX be implemented for desktop/laptop systems?
    HMMMMMMMM.............
    02-02-13 06:55 PM
    I think over the next few months, we will see a gradual growth of QNX in things like medical equipment, more cars, etc.
    02-02-13 06:57 PM
    02-02-13 07:17 PM
    QNX has a very long history in "connected embedded" and in many markets - Industrial, Medical, Networking, Aerospace, Gaming, Automotive and last year delivered many presentations on M2M so I am sure we can expect more connected innovation from QNX and BlackBerry -- It is just such a natural fit !
    02-04-13 08:06 AM
    That's very interesting stuff!
    02-04-13 09:00 AM
    How QNX works, a desktop/laptop would be pointless. In theory, you would only need a monitor and a your input devices. Your monitor could be any QNX enabled screen, while your input devices could be simple BlueTooth devices or QNX enabled devices. Once connected together, they could share their combined computing power to control/access what ever needs to be monitored/update/etc... So, if you had BB10 and wanted to (for example) design a widget from your QNX enabled 3D printer, it would go something like this:

Connect up your BB10 to the 3D printer.
    The printer holds the software for creating the items.
    The monitor next to the printer runs its own graphics card for the modeling.
    You use your Playbook as an input device.

QNX uses the cpu power from all the items connected to run the software for creating the model and running the machine.
    You print out your widget, disconnect your BB10 and go install the widget into your project.

In theory, you could also be BBMing with some guy who is connected to the QNX 3D printer through a Wi-fi network and you do the same job, just controlling everything from where you sit.
    02-04-13 11:41 AM
    I agree with the OP that QNX needs to start promoting other uses for QNX. We know that many are there already, and we know that this is the future for Blackberry.

There was an interview a few weeks ago where a QNX person was showing how a QNX car would let you read emails in the dashboard display of a car. No! No! No! Computers should support the user's objectives. When someone is driving they should not be reading emails!! QNX is great in cars, but the focus should be on supporting the user in driving the car, *not* in adding the internet/youtube/silly cat videos to distract the driver.

2 cents.
    02-04-13 12:08 PM