If 10.3.3 does not include enhancements for BlackBerry-built apps like Express, Story Maker and Docs To Go, is it possible for developers to create "plug-ins" or add-ons to accomplish the same thing?

A few improvements I'd like to see are:
    1. The ability to include video clips in Express and type more text than 140 characters per text slide.
    2. In Story Maker, I'd like new themes and an indicator in the editor that shows time markers.
    3. In Docs To Go, the ability to create PowerPoint presentations from scratch, not merely edit existing presentations. Also the ability to create and edit WordPerfect documents.

#I<3BB10
    07-05-16 06:25 PM
    Very few people are expecting 10.3.3 to include any significant enhancements other than NIAP certification. If you need features that are not already built in to BB10, it's time to start thinking about the alternatives.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 07-05-16 at 09:46 PM.
    07-05-16 07:02 PM
    I appreciate your suggestion. I enjoy the apps I mentioned as they are, but anything can be improved upon, hence my question. The potential alternatives, to my knowledge, don't even have Express and Story Maker. Perhaps the Priv does, but I'm not sure. If the alternatives don't even offer the apps I mentioned, switching to one of them would be jumping out of the skillet into the fire.

Do you know whether it's even possible for the apps to be enhanced by non-Blackberry developers? That's really my question. Thanks.

#I<3BB10
    07-05-16 07:37 PM
    Nope. Google photos has something similar to story maker. And you can get a lot of apps like it.

But I haven't seen a replacement for express, even on the Priv.

I'd love to see it ported over to android, but the team who built it, is long gone.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    07-05-16 07:53 PM
    I appreciate your suggestion. I enjoy the apps I mentioned as they are, but anything can be improved upon, hence my question. The potential alternatives, to my knowledge, don't even have Express and Story Maker. Perhaps the Priv does, but I'm not sure. If the alternatives don't even offer the apps I mentioned, switching to one of them would be jumping out of the skillet into the fire.

Do you know whether it's even possible for the apps to be enhanced by non-Blackberry developers? That's really my question. Thanks.

#I<3BB10
    Because BlackBerry won't provide the source code for the apps you've mentioned, if an app developer was able to decompile them, and go through the process of creating a completely new app, it wouldn't be the app you were looking for. And because BB10 is so hardened, you can't create app plug-ins. It is not possible for non-BlackBerry developers to enhance BlackBerry apps.

Your best bet would be to hope that BlackBerry port these apps to android - except Docs2Go, which you wouldn't need since Microsoft ported the Full PowerPoint, Excel and Words to android.
    07-05-16 08:25 PM
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Timothius
    07-05-16 08:56 PM
    Your best bet would be to hope that BlackBerry port these apps to android - except Docs2Go, which you wouldn't need since Microsoft ported the Full PowerPoint, Excel and Words to android.
    Docs To Go is actually already available on Android, I'm not sure how it compares to Office though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...taviz.docstogo

Express was built by TAT/BlackBerry Sweden IIRC so I doubt we'll see further development/ports of that. Shame as the app had a lot of potential IMO.
    07-05-16 11:09 PM