Rim is a superb engineering/realtime communications smartphone company.

Apple is a superb entertainment smartphone company.

They each serve very different users.

Rim must focus on dominating its enterprise based brand globally.

Stop trying to appeal to consumers who have access to 300,000 apps. They are not interested.

Good luck Frank Boulben.

Stick to your global strategy.

Dan Zwicker
    Toronto.
    07-15-12 04:43 PM
    i don't agree, when you have a core system that can do it all and do it all well, go for it.

although Frank did state that he was going to target his marketing more to existing users at BB10 launch as most of them are still infact busniess users and still loyal to QWERTY and RIMs Emails.

BB10 can and will be a whole package deal, QNX is so versitile
    07-15-12 04:47 PM
    RIM can make phones that do both. Here is what RIM could easily have for their BB10 launch.

1) No truncated emails. The new BIS definitely helps but if RIM wants to have the best email, this is key.
    2) Smarter BBM. Similar to iMessage, if you send a text to a person with BBM it should register as a BB Message.
    3) BBM video chat. This would allow for people with BBs to Video Chat natively. The video app should allow for 3rd party video chat application integration (such as Skype)
    4) HDMI out - Basically anything that appears on your BB screen appears on your TV, whether it is a video call (which would be great for conference calls or talking to family long distance) or a game/movie.
    5) Blackberry account web page - access your phone from your computer using your account ID and check texts, BBM, data usage, phone location, delete and install apps
    6) Smart browser - create a Webkit based browser that interacts with your BB10 phone and Playbook by syncing the browsing history and bookmarks for both devices. You should be able to access content on your Playbook from your phone and vise versa.

I don't expect RIM to have all of the apps and games that Android and Apple have but I do expect RIM to make a phone (to quote Kevin) "Helps get [stuff] done". No spinning clock, no 3+ minute boot times even if I have a few apps on my phone, good battery life, etc. It definitely possible that RIM will have everything I mentioned and then some.
    07-15-12 05:17 PM
    2) Smarter BBM. Similar to iMessage, if you send a text to a person with BBM it should register as a BB Message.
    $&*# that!!! I do NOT want my BBM like iMessage or WhatsApp that is the worst idea of any idea I have ever read, I'd rather use peanut butter to solve the traction issues on highways in winter over BBM becoming utter @#$% like iMessage
    3) BBM video chat. This would allow for people with BBs to Video Chat natively. The video app should allow for 3rd party video chat application integration (such as Skype)
    well this has been addressed and is coming
    4) HDMI out - Basically anything that appears on your BB screen appears on your TV, whether it is a video call (which would be great for conference calls or talking to family long distance) or a game/movie.
    Not sure why this is so important, I suspect we'll have it but what % of users ever actually plug their phone into their TV? DNLA anyone?

5) Blackberry account web page - access your phone from your computer using your account ID and check texts, BBM, data usage, phone location, delete and install apps
    Ya no thanks, lets remove the security element of direct device communication and plaster your information all over the place. sounds good, get an Android
    6) Smart browser - create a Webkit based browser that interacts with your BB10 phone and Playbook by syncing the browsing history and bookmarks for both devices. You should be able to access content on your Playbook from your phone and vise versa.
    BlackBerry Bridge??
    ok so you want a Xmarks kinda of apps, it shouldn't integrated it should be 3rd party app

I don't expect RIM to have all of the apps and games that Android and Apple have but I do expect RIM to make a phone (to quote Kevin) "Helps get [stuff] done". No spinning clock, no 3+ minute boot times even if I have a few apps on my phone, good battery life, etc. It definitely possible that RIM will have everything I mentioned and then some.
    With RIM's move to QNX the Black Clocking wont be as much of an issue I've yet to BlackClock my devAlpha nor my PlayBook, long boottimes, well we know we wont get rid of that, you'll never have a short boot time with RIM as they need to do a security audit on every boot, that takes 20-60 seconds minimum to perform,
    07-15-12 06:00 PM
    i don't agree, when you have a core system that can do it all and do it all well, go for it.

although Frank did state that he was going to target his marketing more to existing users at BB10 launch as most of them are still infact busniess users and still loyal to QWERTY and RIMs Emails.

BB10 can and will be a whole package deal, QNX is so versitile
    I agree...QNX is versitile and very compatable. Why not take advantage of it? With BB10, RIM is trying to transition and really appeal to BOTH the enterprise customers along with the more personal users.
    07-15-12 06:13 PM
    I agree...QNX is versitile and very compatable. Why not take advantage of it? With BB10, RIM is trying to transition and really appeal to BOTH the enterprise customers along with the more personal users.
    i've said it before i'll say it again RIM buying QNX was the best thing for both companies EVER!!!!!!
    07-15-12 08:04 PM
    Ya no thanks, lets remove the security element of direct device communication and plaster your information all over the place. sounds good, get an Android

No, I think a web interface is a very good idea. There's no reason it can't be secure. The web interface was one of the most useful aspects of the SideKick platform, and Google has made it very useful too, even if we don't like the use they make of the data.

BB should provide a full alternative to Android, without resorting to data mining to do it.
    07-15-12 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD