http://us.blackberry.com/software/bl...&d=android&o=m

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...re-easily.html

Engadget article was bad. But I don't understand the outrage when BlackBerry is silent on it's own new features.
    For some, the two issues may be a bit mutually exclusive. Engadget has been fairly anti BlackBerry over the last few years (BGR and tech crunch are far worse IMO) and this is just one more thing... rather than the article by itself that's making people hyper sensitive

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:26 PM
    The sames issues in with tech blog in France.
    01-29-14 02:52 PM
    The Waterloo "Record", the newspaper that covers Waterloo Region, and the "birthplace" of BlackBerry, had this story yesterady:

BlackBerry launches FM radio on Z30, Q10, Q5 phones

They also seemed to concentrate on BlackBerry bringing "Fm radio" in update. Shoddy reporting everywhere.
    Have you considered that they just reported what blackberry gave them on a press release?
    01-29-14 03:57 PM
    Have you considered that they just reported what blackberry gave them on a press release?
    This is now looking increasingly the case as nearly all news reports seem to be focused on the fm radio. (at least 3 or 4 I've seen anyway).
    01-29-14 04:16 PM
    This is now looking increasingly the case as nearly all news reports seem to be focused on the fm radio. (at least 3 or 4 I've seen anyway).

Not exactly a surprise when people look for rationalizations for things that aren't there, based on pre-existing biases.

New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More, More Easily - Press Releases

"New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More, More Easily

Update includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements and is rolling out to customers through carriers around the world beginning today

Jan 28, 2014

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced BlackBerry� 10 OS version 10.2.1, a new software update for BlackBerry 10 smartphones that lets you do more, more easily, and helps you be more productive and stay better connected.

BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 includes hundreds of new enhancements and refinements that will make the things you do every day faster and easier:

Customize Pinch Gesture to Filter BlackBerry� Hub - BlackBerry Hub lets you access all your messages and notifications in one place. A new feature lets you instantly filter the message list in the Hub. You can customize the Hub to show only Unread Messages, Flagged Messages, Draft Messages, Meeting Invites, Sent Messages or Level 1 Alerts. Once the filter criterion is set, you can simply activate it with a pinch gesture on the Hub's message list.

Simplified Phone Experience - The phone includes a new incoming call screen that lets you swipe to the left to answer or swipe right to ignore a call. New intuitive icons allow you to instantly silence the call, or send a Reply Now response through BBM�, SMS or email that you can't answer the phone right away. You can choose from a list of standard automated responses or respond with a personalized note.

SMS and Email Groups - You can now create SMS and email groups for more efficient broadcast communications.

Actionable Lock Screen Notifications - You can now "Tap to open" a message that appears on the lock screen, letting you respond to an important message much quicker or to check messages more discreetly.

Picture Password for Quick Unlocking - You can quickly unlock your phone using a combination of a picture and a number (0-9) of your choice, which you place at a particular point on the image. When you try to unlock the phone, the picture will appear along with a grid of random numbers. To unlock, simply drag the grid so the number you selected overlays the particular point on the image.

Customizable Quick Settings Menu - You can now customize what appears on the Settings menu, which includes features such as being able to quickly change the Brightness of the smartphone's display, toggle various network connections, and access the built-in flashlight. The Settings menu also includes a toggle that lets you instantly switch between your Personal and Work perimeter.

Offline Browser Reading Mode - You can now save the current web page you're on for later viewing, even if you are offline or without an Internet connection.

Preferred Contact Sync - You can now choose the sync source for your Contacts ensuring you always have the most up-to-date contact details. When adding a new contact you can designate which sources you want the contact info to sync with, such as the corporate address book, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

Device and Battery Monitor - A new and improved device monitor provides you with essential details on battery usage, the impact of installed apps on battery life and memory usage and storage, as well as CPU stats.

Automatic Software Updates - OS updates can be set to happen automatically over a Wi-Fi� connection to help ensure you're always benefiting from the latest and best possible customer experience.

Enterprise Features - When combined with BES10 version 10.2, enterprise customers will gain additional security features and IT policies for when more granular controls are required, such as for regulated industries and for organizations that work with sensitive data. For more information about BES10, please visit BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 - BES 10 - Mobile Device Management - - US.

FM Radio - If you have a BlackBerry� Z30, BlackBerry� Q10 or BlackBerry� Q5 smartphone, the new software update unlocks the built-in FM radio in those handsets. You can listen to local FM stations, which does not require any network connection.

Subject to carrier approvals, BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2.1 will be available to customers around the world, rolling out starting today in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, and will be available for the entire line of smartphones running BlackBerry 10 (including the Porsche Design P'9982).

For more information about BlackBerry 10, visit BlackBerry OS 10 - BB10 - BlackBerry 10 OS Software Features - US.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry� revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend", "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by BlackBerry Limited in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that BlackBerry believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause BlackBerry's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of BlackBerry's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained atwww.sedar.com or U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission | Homepage). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on BlackBerry's forward-looking statements. BlackBerry has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.

BlackBerry and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. BlackBerry is not responsible for any third-party products or services.
    "

anon(3732391) likes this.
    01-29-14 04:28 PM
    In my opinion BBRY are idiots for not widely advertising the Android apk installation benefit. The ability to install tons and tons of better apps on a quality QWERTY-handset should net them thousands of new customers.
    01-29-14 04:35 PM
    In my opinion BBRY are idiots for not widely advertising the Android apk installation benefit. The ability to install tons and tons of better apps on a quality QWERTY-handset should net them thousands of new customers.

Whereas I'd say it's just as likely to endanger their business for good if they are not extremely careful about how they handle that.
    01-29-14 04:39 PM
    Be kind please rewind!

Attachment 243102
    Don't forget to party on, dudes!
    01-29-14 04:40 PM
    Whereas I'd say it's just as likely to endanger their business for good if they are not extremely careful about how they handle that.
    I agree. I think BBRY is being prudent.
    01-29-14 04:43 PM
    I think it's obvious the issue has nothing to do with parroting the press-release, and everything to do with - as Bla1ze points out - being a lazy-*ss hack writer who skims a press release for anything slightly out of ordinary and then focuses on that because, yanno, iPhones don't have FM radios. And of course having a pre-existing chip on your shoulder about Blackberry doesn't hurt, either. Or just parroting what some other hack writers are writing.
    01-29-14 04:43 PM
    I'm not a business strategy person, but if Android app compatibility endangers their business that would be bad indeed
    Can you say more about how you think this could endanger their business? Thanks!
    01-29-14 05:26 PM
    This guy wrote the article...

Engadget's Take on 10.2.1 Update Today...-prtscr-capture_15.jpg

Don't know why but i really hate this guy.
    01-29-14 06:54 PM
    I'm not a business strategy person, but if Android app compatibility endangers their business that would be bad indeed
    Can you say more about how you think this could endanger their business? Thanks!
    I won't speak for Omni, but licensing is a big issue that I see. Another is the completeness of the process; IMHO, it's not seamless enough for consumer use.

And then you have mindshare. Advertising it will be tricky, as BBRY has to figure out how to highlight Android compatibility without highlighting Android OS..
    01-29-14 07:03 PM
    Engadget is a BlackBerry Hate site. They used to carry all BlackBerry articles so the daily bash could go on. When BB10 was released, articles were fast and furious bent on BlackBerry destruction. Now that BB10 is maturing and the news is good, Engadget hardly mentions BlackBerry. It refuses to give it a platform. Every BlackBerry user should go to the comment section of Engadget and state that Engadget Sucks!

Posted via CB10
    OR

go and comment and state why you love BlackBerry 10 and especially what you like about the 10.2.1 update.

This might go a lot further than declaring your hate for engadget. Flood them with BlackBerry love, not Engadget hate.
    01-29-14 07:58 PM

Not enough time right now to do this complex issue justice, but to skim the surface: the Google "ecosystem" is vast and touches almost everywhere in the technology industry and society at large. They are one of the most powerful and profitable companies in the world and they have their hands in an amazing number of industries, not just internet-related.

Google's revenue model entails giving away their operating system for free and making little or nothing on devices themselves (they just sold Motorola too), virtually all of their revenue is generated from monetizing personal data and marketing "eyeballs" for advertising revenue.

As soon as BlackBerry invites this "Trojan Horse" into their ecosystem, they are taking a very large risk of eviscerating their own business from the inside-out, by turning over "eyeballs" to Google and thus allowing them to siphon potentially most of their app ecosystem revenue away from the platform, as well as giving them a vast number of opportunities to promote and market their own platform - Android - to BlackBerry's userbase, potentially siphoning even more of their customers away.

Profit on the hardware itself is minimal in the current commoditized marketplace, this is nowhere more apparent than all the bottom-feeding low-end "white box" Android device manufacturers competing for business today. Taking away the best profit opportunities in terms of app ecosystem and marketing impressions/dollars and leaving BlackBerry to try to make money solely off of hardware and the low-volume device management solutions might be a very effective way of killing the company even faster than it has already been killing itself.

Blackberry needs to tread very, very carefully into this sort of thing.
    jjfad likes this.
    01-29-14 09:39 PM
    This guy wrote the article...

Don't know why but i really hate this guy.

Well let's see, Intellectual Property lawyer in training (probably failed at that), and "abandoned a promising career in financial services" to write hack articles for a website run by a woman who is infamous for paying her writers peanuts when she pays them at all.

Yeah, sounds like a whole lotta fail there.
    01-29-14 09:57 PM
    I would also prefer to have have been able to install instagram and other top apps from BB World, however I am now pleased that I have the choice.
    01-30-14 12:36 AM
    Not exactly a surprise when people look for rationalizations for things that aren't there, based on pre-existing biases.

[/I]"

"pre - existing biases" explain yourself.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-14 01:15 AM
    I guess zdnet.com is not the only one. I created a similar threat about aforementioned website.

Thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=898237

Post via my AWESOME Q10! BBM Channel: C12140D
    01-30-14 01:22 AM
    Well let's see, Intellectual Property lawyer in training (probably failed at that), and "abandoned a promising career in financial services" to write hack articles for a website run by a woman who is infamous for paying her writers peanuts when she pays them at all.

Yeah, sounds like a whole lotta fail there.

That's why I really hate this guy.
    Proudly published terrible records of his career and dare to wrote such article.
    Such a typical fail-guy x_x
    Omnitech likes this.
    01-30-14 01:56 AM
    Let's just stop to promote these unuseful "reviews".
    JRF_1986 and Elite1 like this.
    01-30-14 03:07 AM
    I think it's obvious the issue has nothing to do with parroting the press-release, and everything to do with - as Bla1ze points out - being a lazy-*ss hack writer who skims a press release for anything slightly out of ordinary and then focuses on that because, yanno, iPhones don't have FM radios. And of course having a pre-existing chip on your shoulder about Blackberry doesn't hurt, either. Or just parroting what some other hack writers are writing.
    Of course this wouldn't be your pre-existing bias would it?

How about the theory that all tech journals, media outlets + the nsa are all out to get blackberry. Is that a pre-existing bias?

If you actually read the press release you'll see its all pretty much fixes and enhancements, only of interest to existing owners. The only standout feature is the fm radio. And remember there is No mention of apk download support.
    01-30-14 04:14 AM
    Of course this wouldn't be your pre-existing bias would it?

How about the theory that all tech journals, media outlets + the nsa are all out to get blackberry. Is that a pre-existing bias?

I see. So it's either Black this or White that. Nothing in-between.

So if a person observes that they read a really crappy, shoddy, snarky, misleading article about a product update for Blackberry, then the only possible reason for that is that that person must think "all tech journals, media outlets + the nsa are all out to get blackberry". Did I get that right?

Knee-jerk much?

If you actually read the press release you'll see its all pretty much fixes and enhancements, only of interest to existing owners. The only standout feature is the fm radio. And remember there is No mention of apk download support.

I guess you have a promising career waiting for you writing articles for Engadget then.

1. OF COURSE the audience is mostly going to be Blackberry users. Is this something special? Do you spend your free time eagerly reading about every Windows Phone software update despite never owning one?
    2. What on this green earth would possess you to think that the FM radio is "the only standout feature" of this software update? Do you even use a Blackberry yourself?
    01-30-14 06:22 AM
    I see. So it's either Black this or White that. Nothing in-between.

So if a person observes that they read a really crappy, shoddy, snarky, misleading article about a product update for Blackberry, then the only possible reason for that is that that person must think "all tech journals, media outlets + the nsa are all out to get blackberry". Did I get that right?

Knee-jerk much?

I guess you have a promising career waiting for you writing articles for Engadget then.

1. OF COURSE the audience is mostly going to be Blackberry users. Is this something special? Do you spend your free time eagerly reading about every Windows Phone software update despite never owning one?
    2. What on this green earth would possess you to think that the FM radio is "the only standout feature" of this software update? Do you even use a Blackberry yourself?
    No, you didn't get it right, as you were the one accusing others of bias.

I'm fed up of hearing from apologists who blame everyone but blackberry. Often the very press that were there all through the affluent good years.

I've had 3 BlackBerry's, including a Z. I even worked for them for 3 years. I've seen the complacency and arrogance from the inside.

Your right though, I'm truly bored with the delusional CB world. So adios all you hard done by victims. X
    01-30-14 07:48 AM
    No, you didn't get it right, as you were the one accusing others of bias.

I seee, so the "apologists" line below doesn't constitute "accusing others of bias", eh?

I'm fed up of hearing from apologists who blame everyone but blackberry.

And I'm fed up with incessant naysayers that seem to find something to complain about with everything, including one of the most significant and excellent OS updates in recent memory.

Mexican Standoff.

Your right though, I'm truly bored with the delusional CB world. So adios all you hard done by victims. X

Ragequit FTW!
    01-30-14 06:14 PM
243 ... 78910