The Waterloo "Record", the newspaper that covers Waterloo Region, and the "birthplace" of BlackBerry, had this story yesterady:

BlackBerry launches FM radio on Z30, Q10, Q5 phones

They also seemed to concentrate on BlackBerry bringing "Fm radio" in update. Shoddy reporting everywhere.
    would have been nice if the person who wrote that article actually wrote that article and didn't instead just copy word for word from engadget... journalistic integrity seems to be a hard thing to find elsewhere around the interwebs,
    01-29-14 08:01 AM
    Stop the presses....this just in BB is not getting good press...lol
    01-29-14 08:13 AM
    would have been nice if the person who wrote that article actually wrote that article and didn't instead just copy word for word from engadget... journalistic integrity seems to be a hard thing to find elsewhere around the interwebs,
    Copied, or based off the same release from BBRY?

Knock the quality all you want, but I think criticizing a professional writer's credibility should be based on a high degree of certainty.
    01-29-14 08:14 AM
    I think some here are focused on the FM radio. I see more things mentioned after they talk about the radio. I also see it mentioned that iPhone doesn't have that, don't know why they bothered to mention that? Maybe because it's something BBRY has that iPhone doesn't?
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-29-14 08:32 AM
    Looks like CB readers clued them in, and they have updated the blog, to include info about the ability to install Android apps.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    01-29-14 08:39 AM
    Wait, we are blaming Engadget when BlackBerry barely mentions the update?

The difference is that Apple and Google shout their updates from the rooftops. BlackBerry just says quietly "guys here's an update for you." It's not these tech sites jobs to sell BlackBerry phones, it's Blackberry's.

It's so funny that people in here want to blame everyone but BlackBerry for their lack of sales. The blame lies squarely with BlackBerry and sites like Engadget, BGR, and the Verge have nothing to do with it. Does anyone actually believe that if they would have reported on the update extensively that sales would all of a sudden spike up? News flash, they wouldn't.

Windows phone has started to grow because shockingly, they advertise it. They also tout a killer camera on their high end phones and have a low end phone for emerging markets. BlackBerry could have gotten in the emerging market game sooner. But priced themselves out of it with the ridiculously priced Q5 at launch. Coupled with the fact that their high end phone (Z30) has a worse screen and camera than other high end phones (I'm not debating the camera again. The Z30 is not up to par with the 5S or other high end Android phones) then what do they have to market as the must have feature of their OS?

Until BlackBerry does proper marketing and has all of the native apps (among other things) that people want they are going to be stuck in this mess in the consumer world. BlackBerry has said themselves they want to focus more on the business sector, so I doubt things are going to change in the consumer world for them any time soon.
    kbz1960, JeepBB, mornhavon and 2 others like this.
    01-29-14 08:41 AM
    Yeah, no one reads garbage Engadget reports on BBRY... except apparently all of the Wall St. and various and sundry BBRY bashers... including Canada's own Financial Post. SMGDH

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Comes with Radio FM 10 OS modernize introduces

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Comes With OS 10 Update Intoduces FM Radio

BlackBerry Ltd launches FM radio for Z30, Q10, Q5 phones — a feature even iPhones don’t have | Financial Post

BlackBerry Update Adds FM Radio, Because Why Not? | TechCrunch

Excerpt from techcrunch report:

"Why wasn�t the FM radio enabled from the start, you ask? Great question, friend. Let me answer with this question: Why didn�t the Playbook launch with native email support? Because BlackBerry!

At this point it�s clear that BlackBerry isn�t exactly sunk, but rather is treading water as its boat sinks to the ocean floor.
    "

lynxs_claw likes this.
    01-29-14 08:54 AM
    The difference is that Apple and Google shout their updates from the rooftops. BlackBerry just says quietly "guys here's an update for you." It's not these tech sites jobs to sell BlackBerry phones, it's Blackberry's. [...]

Windows phone has started to grow because shockingly, they advertise it.

BlackBerry Ltd (Sept 2013)
    Employees: 7260
    Revenue (2013): $11B

Apple Inc.
    Employees: 80,000
    Revenue (2013): $170B

Microsoft
    Employees: 101,000
    Revenue (2013): $78B

Yes, when you have 10 times as many people with 10 times bigger megaphones, your voice tends to be louder.

Blackberry will NEVER, even in their wildest fantasies, be able to compete with the advertising and marketing clout of companies like Microsoft, Google, Samsung or Apple. At least for the next few years at the very least.

So really, we don't need any more people "blaming" a 10-15x smaller company for their advertising "failures" compared to companies 10x their size or larger, with vastly larger financial resources.

It's been done to death. Time to move on to something that actually is debatable. That horse is so dead even its last molecule has gone missing.

And yes, those of us still using and liking the product and the brand are going to talk about journalists that we don't think give it a fair shake, even when it deserves it.

It's the biggest BlackBerry fan site in the world. It's what we do here.
    01-29-14 09:21 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd (Sept 2013)
    Revenue (2013): $11B

Apple Inc.
    Employees: 80,000
    Revenue (2013): $170B

Microsoft
    Employees: 101,000
    Revenue (2013): $78B

Yes, when you have 10 times as many people with 10 times bigger megaphones, your voice tends to be louder.

Blackberry will NEVER, even in their wildest fantasies, be able to compete with the advertising and marketing clout of companies like Microsoft, Google, Samsung or Apple. At least for the next few years at the very least.

So really, we don't need any more people "blaming" a 10-15x smaller company for their advertising "failures" compared to companies 10x their size or larger, with vastly larger financial resources.

It's been done to death. Time to move on to something that actually is debatable. That horse is so dead even its last molecule has gone missing.

And yes, those of us still using and liking the product and the brand are going to talk about journalists that we don't think give it a fair shake, even when it deserves it.

It's the biggest BlackBerry fan site in the world. It's what we do here.
    Please, cry me a river. BlackBerry is a billion dollar company but if it makes you feel better blaming other people for their problems and making them out to be the underdog that is never given a fair shake, be my guest.

And I for one do like their products but I also know their problems are no one's fault but their own, not tech sites that the average consumer doesn't even read.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-29-14 09:32 AM
    Please, cry me a river.

Thank you for your impressive sentiments.

BlackBerry is a billion dollar company but if it makes you feel better blaming other people for their problems and making them out to be the underdog that is never given a fair shake, be my guest.

Well they ARE the underdog. You don't even need a hand calculator to figure that out. No pitched emotional diatribes necessary either.

...but I also know their problems are no one's fault but their own

Like so many other things in life, the real answer is more complex than that.
    01-29-14 09:39 AM
    Remember that crackberry forums does all the marketing for blackberry.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 09:42 AM
    Did they say anything bad about BlackBerry?
    No, it was pretty tame compared to other articles. Want to see snotty? Go to Tech Crunch. :-)

My point was more that they aren't even really researching and dismissed it as a 'minor update;

They gave a "meh" review of a "meh" update.
    You think it's "meh". A lot of us don't
    01-29-14 09:45 AM
    Your point about the size is valid relative to competitors for sure. Though, I too get amused when bloggers refer to BlackBerry as a "small company", like companies with billions in revenue are on every street corner haha.

One note about Apple - they're actually smaller than people think. Most of the employees are in Apple stores actually. The R&D staff is surprisingly small and focused given all the lines they support.

BlackBerry's employee count seems a little low above. I thought they were still around the 10,000 range. Can't find the article from the Record that lists what it's at though
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 09:50 AM
    My point was more that they aren't even really researching and dismissed it as a 'minor update;

You think it's "meh". A lot of us don't

Any reasonable person who has any experience in the industry would never characterize it as such.

Unless they were blinded by emotional bias.

But here we have Apple fans thinking that iOS 7 makes their device waterproof...
    01-29-14 09:50 AM
    The Waterloo "Record", the newspaper that covers Waterloo Region, and the "birthplace" of BlackBerry, had this story yesterady:

BlackBerry launches FM radio on Z30, Q10, Q5 phones

They also seemed to concentrate on BlackBerry bringing "Fm radio" in update. Shoddy reporting everywhere.
    Given its likely they couldn't report on Android app loading they probably see this as the main new feature. To be fair most changes are detailed fixes and enhancements that would only be of interest to bb10 owners. Having said that miracast and wifi calling merited some attention.
    01-29-14 09:51 AM
    Your point about the size is valid relative to competitors for sure. Though, I too get amused when bloggers refer to BlackBerry as a "small company", like companies with billions in revenue are on every street corner haha.

Revenue is of little consequence if it is all tied-up in low-margin devices like smartphones being sold at a loss or nearly so.

One note about Apple - they're actually smaller than people think. Most of the employees are in Apple stores actually. The R&D staff is surprisingly small and focused given all the lines they support.

The point being discussed in this thread was advertising, marketing, and "message", as was the post of mine you followed-up to.

Every single one of those retail employees of Apple's is a public advocate for the company. BlackBerry has NOTHING like that to keep their brand out in the public like that.

BlackBerry's employee count seems a little low above. I thought they were still around the 10,000 range. Can't find the article from the Record that lists what it's at though

It matches other articles I've seen. They announced a layoff of 4,500 in September, and at that time they had around ~12K employees.

The actual figure was from wikipedia, and they stated that it was as of September 2013.
    01-29-14 09:56 AM

Like so many other things in life, the real answer is more complex than that.
    Lol, OK.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-14 10:01 AM
    Revenue is of little consequence if it is all tied-up in low-margin devices like smartphones being sold at a loss or nearly so.
    Agree but not my point. Just stating amusement that people call them "small".

The point being discussed in this thread was advertising, marketing, and "message", as was the post of mine you followed-up to.
    Just stating an interesting anecdote that Apple's R&D isn't as big as people think. Yes, I agree they are ambassadors.

It matches other articles I've seen. They announced a layoff of 4,500 in September, and at that time they had around ~12K employees.
    That doesn't quite add up.

At their peak, they were roughly 20,000.

They announced 2000 under Mike and Jim = 18,000

They announced 5000 under Thorsten = 13,000

Then before John Chen came in, 4500 more ... which would bring them to 8500.

So there's 1000+ missing (maybe attrition not replaced) but I also don't think they're at that number yet because I thought the 4500 was ongoing for a while yet.
    01-29-14 10:08 AM
    Solution: ignore Engadget because they're highly ignorant. Seriously amateurs. They're trolls. LOL@troll comment.
    01-29-14 11:21 AM
    http://us.blackberry.com/software/bl...&d=android&o=m

http://press.blackberry.com/press/2014/new-blackberry-os-10-2-1-lets-you-do-more--more-easily.html

Engadget article was bad. But I don't understand the outrage when BlackBerry is silent on it's own new features. It's as if no matter what boneheaded thing the company does they will get a pass from the apologists on these forums.
    kbz1960, iN8ter and mornhavon like this.
    01-29-14 12:29 PM

New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More, More Easily - Press Releases

Engadget article was bad. But I don't understand the outrage when BlackBerry is silent on it's own new features. It's as if no matter what boneheaded thing the company does they will get a pass from the apologists on these forums.
    It's easier to blame the media for BBRY's woes.

No entity can or should be more excited about BBRY's offerings than BBRY itself.
    01-29-14 12:39 PM

New BlackBerry OS 10.2.1 Lets You Do More, More Easily - Press Releases

They expect Engadget to go to developer.blackberry.com or whatever and scour through all the documents to list every non-factor change listed there.

At the same time, they peddle the Android Runtime as a "better Android than Android" but fail to list the various incompatibilities and unsupported features therein.

I've never seen an article on CB detailing where some Android applications may not perform as expected in that runtime, but God forbid a user comeshere omplaining about an app not acting correctly.

They get lynched off the forums for that.

EDIT: I see Wikipedia is still as strong as ever here...
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-29-14 01:07 PM
    Be kind please rewind!

Engadget's Take on 10.2.1 Update Today...-keep-calm-excellent-each-other-3.png
    01-29-14 01:08 PM
    Still no update here on Verizon. I will be excited about the update when my carrier actually pushes it out.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 01:09 PM
    Still no update here on Verizon. I will be excited about the update when my carrier actually pushes it out.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on Verizon and I have had the update for months. Oh wait I used a leak.
    01-29-14 01:16 PM
243 ... 678910