It's the app gap. And no, sideloading isn't the solution. And yes, Snap and other app stores are sideloads as I've had to clarify before. It's just that no computer is involved.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    It's not the app gap and WP8's current market share is proof enough. It has a lot less features and about the same amount of apps.

Are you actually saying that all the lies the media has been saying about BlackBerry in the past 2 years did no harm? Why do sales people advise customers not to buy BlackBerry phones because they are almost bankrupt (not because they have no apps)? Why does everyone not following the company thinks they are already out of business? Where did they read that exactly?
    Bor Navas likes this.
    01-28-14 01:57 PM
    The people who need help buying phones are calling me and asking me to go to stores with them to pick one (actually did that last night, to an AT&T store), not going to Engadget.
    What did you recommend? Q10 or the Zed?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Ohhh...I see LOL. Why are you here again?
    01-28-14 02:04 PM
    It's not the app gap and WP8's current market share is proof enough. It has a lot less features and about the same amount of apps.

Are you actually saying that all the lies the media has been saying about BlackBerry in the past 2 years did no harm? Why do sales people advise customers not to buy BlackBerry phones because they are almost bankrupt (not because they have no apps)? Why does everyone not following the company thinks they are already out of business? Where did they read that exactly?
    I know for folks that believe there is a media conspiracy BBRY no other logical explanation may suffice, but, yes, I believe most folks who use both platforms will tell you that WP8's ecosystem, when looked upon in its entirety, is better than BB10's. There are more recognized communication apps (IMHO) and you have the tie-in the Office, plus Microsoft's growing core of OneDrive, Outlook Mail, Skype and Calendar; they are somewhat multiplatform too.

And the kicker? The apps are all native. MSFT struggled, but it seems the fruit of its long labor is beginning to pay off. There is no need for MSFT users to depend on publications like Engadget to tell them of a new update that gives them the ability to run apps off of a competing ecosystem. No alternative appstores. They still need apps and the system is a bit too locked for my tinkering tastes, but it feels as though MSFT is getting over the app hump. A great war chest definitely helps.

In any case, not trying to change your mind... just pointing out why some folks may think MSFT actually has a better ecosystem than BBRY.
    01-28-14 02:07 PM

After a while, you'll notice that this site welcomes people of varied phone backgrounds if they follow the rules and are respectful. As we are all guests in someone else's "house" (CB), it's tough to ask fellow guest why they are here, no?
    01-28-14 02:12 PM

If you've used WP8 such, you will notice that it's a night and day difference between BlackBerry World and the Windows Store. Honestly. I know it's not a whole lot larger as far as numbers go, but the top apps are there...you know...apps that people actually want. Not just a bunch of useless crap. That's all I have to say to what you said about Windows Phone.

As far as the media, it's BlackBerry's fault for getting themselves to where they are. They didn't advance when they needed to. They kept producing the same old lackluster products. When they did advance, it is arguable that it's too late. BB10 isn't caught up to the competition. It isn't truly better and it lacks apps.

JeepBB and bbq10l like this.

It's a consumer oriented OS with a feature set heavily designed to make the phone as convenient for those users as possible. The ecosystem is utopia compared to BlackBerry. Microsoft has other properties to leverage in pushing their OS, BlackBerry does not - except to businesses.

Microsoft invested a ton more in marketing. The L520 was dirt cheap, and the L92x much cheaper on contract than Blackberries. They have stand out devices with clear selling points where few other devices can trump them.

Consumers aren't reps and reps were rumored to be doing that for Windows Phone (to benefit Android/iOS) as well as Android (to benefit iOS). People on these forums hear things and it propagates and all of a sudden half the Internet is claiming to have been disenfranchised.

Please pass me a grain of salt, or 10.

That is not the issue here. Articles like this are the reason BlackBerry 10 sales have been so poor.
    LOL. Not even BlackBerry itself believes this.
    01-28-14 02:14 PM
    Because no one I know except techies read those sites. Look at the comments. Those sites are way more important to you than it is to my mom or anyone else I know. I may be the only person in my inner circle the visits forums or reads those blogs. They don't have the impact you people say they do.

You are just using them as a scapegoat for BlackBerry's terrible performance.

First you people say consumers don't know about BB10 and then you flip it to say all the negative tech blog content affects sales? Yes, sales to people who likely wouldn't have bought it to begin with, maybe...

The average Joe isn't reading that. They likely haven't even been to Engadget.com to be quite frank about it.

First, your mom would not buy a smartphone on her own. She would seek advice from someone who probably does read Engadget and the likes.

Secondly, I wasn't only talking about tech blogs. Sites like The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Wall Street Journal hate BlackBerry too.
    01-28-14 02:14 PM
    So this
    Remote search of emails older than 60 days
    Bluetooth Sharing through Android Runtime
    Video Call has the new call screen�
    FM Radio (Only Q10, Q5, Z30.. Z10 does not support this)
    Wi-Fi Direct
    Miracast
    Share Screen
    Direct Install of APK Files on device through File Manager or Browser
    Media Volume displays at top of screen
    New incoming call screen�
    Update to Device Monitor app
    Update to Data Monitor app
    Clock App includes Accuweather information
    Flashlight app added (can be accessed from Quick Settings)
    Ability to arrange accounts in the Hub
    Pinch gesture in the Hub for quick access to specified messages
    Changes to battery icon
    Changes to charging icon
    Battery shows percentage in peek view
    Updates to native weather app
    New Quick Settings functionality for dropdown menu
    Updates to Media Player
    Added Picture Password�
    Speed Dial from homescreen (Q10)
    Added Contact Groups
    Custom contact profiles for email, SMS, BBM and phone calls
    Delete options from Hub (device and/or server)
    Face detection toggle in Camera
    Airplane-Mode automatically turned on in Bedside Mode�
    Lockscreen�previews open directly to application
    New native wallpapers added
    Next email toggle inside email messages
    Updated Twitter app
    BBM adds vibrate on ping and new emoticons
    White balance adjuster in display settings
    IBM notes traveler in accounts settings
    Wolfram Alpha commands
    Dropdown Menu now includes:
    Flashlight App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx)
    Brightness Adjustment
    Location Toggle Switch
    Device Monitor App Button (new app to 10.2.1.xxxx)
    Tethering Toggle Switch
    Hotspot Toggle Switch
    NFC Toggle Switch
    Flight mode Toggle Switch (airplane mode)

Vs

The company's latest software update enables those devices to become FM radios
    Version 10.2.1 also brings a series of minor, but welcome, tweaks to the platform, including a
    new screen for answering calls,
    SMS groups,
    offline reading mode and
    picture passwords.

Update: BlackBerry hasn't publicly announced that BB 10.2.1-enabled Android APK installation from the file manager, so we've been waiting for an official confirmation before making it public. However, several of you have been in touch to say that this feature is working on your handsets.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Omnitech, cjcampbell and dannykavs like this.
    01-28-14 02:15 PM

Uses Google Apps at work, so BB10 isn't an Option. It lacks the apps and you cannot sideboard Google Apps onto that runtime.

jimoates014 likes this.
    01-28-14 02:16 PM
    It's a consumer oriented OS with a feature set heavily designed to make the phone as convenient for those users as possible. The ecosystem is utopia compared to BlackBerry. Microsoft has other properties to leverage in pushing their OS, BlackBerry does not - except to businesses.

Microsoft invested a ton more in marketing. The L520 was dirt cheap, and the L92x much cheaper on contract than Blackberries. They have stand out devices with clear selling points where few other devices can trump them.

Consumers aren't reps and reps were rumored to be doing that for Windows Phone (to benefit Android/iOS) as well as Android (to benefit iOS). People on these forums hear things and it propagates and all of a sudden half the Internet is claiming to have been disenfranchised.

Please pass me a grain of salt, or 10.
    Ah... someone who has read other forums. It's refreshing LOL.

Everyone feels their platform of choice is picked on by the media. Not too many solely blame the media for company performance though.
    01-28-14 02:20 PM
    After a while, you'll notice that this site welcomes people of varied phone backgrounds if they follow the rules and are respectful. As we are all guests in someone else's "house" (CB), it's tough to ask fellow guest why they are here, no?
    Lighten up, bro!
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-28-14 02:20 PM
    It is.
    It's not. Your average smartphone user has no idea about these websites. Remember the iPhone got hate for quite a few years, yet look at the success story it became. The general public is going to get what's popular and advertised. Not the opposite of what Engadget or any other tech blog recommends.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 02:22 PM
    Everyone feels their platform of choice is picked on by the media. Not too many solely blame the media for company performance though.
    I blame BBRY for releasing a phone in 2013 that needed to be released in 2010 in order to compete. But really, what does it matter as long as everyone can get the phone that they want at a reasonable price with good carrier support. I guess the fear of losing that is why people react strongly to media articles.
    01-28-14 02:31 PM
    If you've used WP8 such, you will notice that it's a night and day difference between BlackBerry World and the Windows Store. Honestly. I know it's not a whole lot larger as far as numbers go, but the top apps are there...you know...apps that people actually want. Not just a bunch of useless crap. That's all I have to say to what you said about Windows Phone.

As far as the media, it's BlackBerry's fault for getting themselves to where they are. They didn't advance when they needed to. They kept producing the same old lackluster products. When they did advance, it is arguable that it's too late. BB10 isn't caught up to the competition. It isn't truly better and it lacks apps.

I do use a WP8 phone for work (a Lumia 1020) and I don't agree. There are only a handful of important apps (Instagram, Viber, Vine) missing from BlackBerry World compared to WP8. And WP8's market share started to grow long before some of those apps came to the platform.

Yes, it is BlackBerry's fault for not keeping up, but that was before announcing BlackBerry 10. Everything since then has been a step in the right direction.
    Are you saying BlackBerry 10 is not selling well because BlackBerry OS7 was cr@p? Because so was Windows Mobile.
    01-28-14 02:33 PM
    The people who need help buying phones are calling me and asking me to go to stores with them to pick one (actually did that last night, to an AT&T store), not going to Engadget.

And you read Engadget. So I am right in saying Engadget and other similar sites can influence people's buying decision.
    bennelong likes this.
    01-28-14 02:34 PM
    I blame BBRY for releasing a phone in 2013 that needed to be released in 2010 in order to compete. But really, what does it matter as long as everyone can get the phone that they want at a reasonable price with good carrier support. I guess the fear of losing that is why people react strongly to media articles.
    I feel you, but I guess my view is that no publication can hurt BBRY more than BBRY itself. There is a selfish part of me that wants it to survive, but I also believe that said ezines do little to influence sentiment in the grand scheme of things.

But yes, I agree, arriving late hurt BBRY. Dislodging people that are satisfied with their platform of choice is tougher than most people realize, as even MSFT is figuring it out.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-14 02:36 PM
    Uses Google Apps at work, so BB10 isn't an Option. It lacks the apps and you cannot sideboard Google Apps onto that runtime.

Yeah, I see guys using those to check invoices, etc. and other stuff more and more. They say its much more convenient than using the laptops and tablets they used to have to use.
    01-28-14 02:37 PM
    And you read Engadget. So I am right in saying Engadget and other similar sites can influence people's buying decision.
    Engadget doesn't influence my decisions. Engadget and other sites ripped WP to shreds but I still bought one and used it for almost 2 years (I owned iOS and Android devices at the same time).

You people (generally speaking) were all over that saying "yep, they're right" or things to that effect, until they turned their attention to your beloved platform.

The reason why my mom went from a BB Curve to a One X and then an S3 is because BB took forever and a day to get BB10 out the door and communicating with the REAL WORLD (most of which DON'T use BB devices) is much, much easier on other platforms. Once I had to move her over and she invested herself in that ecosystem, it would have been disingenuous to move her off of it given how comparatively lacking Blackberry's ecosystem is.

Also, she has an Xbox 360, uses Windows 8, etc. The apps for those ecosystems are readily available on Android, iOS, and WP8. They are AWOL on BB10.

The person I helped last night uses Google Apps for Business, which is largely unusable from BB10. It wasn't even in the running, and nor was WP8. That isn't Engadget's fault, and no amount of Pro-BlackBerry bias I theoretically could have would change that.

I live in the real world, where people barely use email, hate having to create a thousand accounts with a thousand unique passwords to patch holes, like having similar devices to influencers in their social circles so that they can get first hand information and be on top of things (If I find a nice new app for my phone that she likes, she doesn't have to worry about whether or not its available for hers, for example), and like most of their things to come on one bill so that it can be easily managed - among other things.

I have people asking me to help them choose dumb phones for their 70+ year old parents. I'm sure Engadget has a huge sway on those decisions...
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    01-28-14 02:40 PM
    It's not. Your average smartphone user has no idea about these websites. Remember the iPhone got hate for quite a few years, yet look at the success story it became. The general public is going to get what's popular and advertised. Not the opposite of what Engadget or any other tech blog recommends.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not only talking about Engadget. Other websites like The Guardian or WSJ are doing the same thing. Also, the average user usually asks someone else for advice when buying a smartphone and that person is likely an Engadget reader.
    I do use a WP8 phone for work (a Lumia 1020) and I don't agree. There are only a handful of important apps (Instagram, Viber, Vine) missing from BlackBerry World compared to WP8. And WP8's market share started to grow long before some of those apps came to the platform.

Yes, it is BlackBerry's fault for not keeping up, but that was before announcing BlackBerry 10. Everything since then has been a step in the right direction.
    Are you saying BlackBerry 10 is not selling well because BlackBerry OS7 was cr@p? Because so was Windows Mobile.
    Instagram, Netflix, Hulu+, Vine, Snapchat, Viber, Reddit, pretty much every news and sports app available, a lot of games. It's more than a handful.

I think you're missing the point. First of all, Windows Mobile wasn't any crappier than OS 5, because that's when Windows Mobile was replaced by Windows Phone...in 2010. BlackBerry waited too long. They waited so long that they were virtually completely irrelevant.

Engadget doesn't influence my decisions. Engadget and other sites ripped WP to shreds but I still bought one and used it for almost 2 years (I owned iOS and Android devices at the same time).

You people (generally speaking) were all over that saying "yep, they're right" or things to that effect, until they turned their attention to your beloved platform.

The reason why my mom went from a BB Curve to a One X and then an S3 is because BB took forever and a day to get BB10 out the door and communicating with the REAL WORLD (most of which DON'T use BB devices) is much, much easier on other platforms. Once I had to move her over and she invested herself in that ecosystem, it would have been disingenuous to move her off of it given how comparatively lacking Blackberry's ecosystem is.

Also, she has an Xbox 360, uses Windows 8, etc. The apps for those ecosystems are readily available on Android, iOS, and WP8. They are AWOL on BB10.

The person I helped last night uses Google Apps for Business, which is largely unusable from BB10.

I have people asking me to help them choose dumb phones for their 70+ year old parents. I'm sure Engadget has a huge sway on those decisions...
    But it might influence your decision. The fact is that you do read Engadget and you do give people advice.

And just to be clear, I think the same happened to WP. It received a lot of unfair criticism. Fortunately for them, BlackBerry 10 happened.
    01-28-14 02:46 PM
    I can only give my opinion, and that is that BB10 is not selling well because when the average Joe turned in his flip phone and decided to give smartphones a go a few years ago there was no BBRY product that caught his eye. Now he has brand loyalty (something we understand here) to Apple or Android.
    01-28-14 02:52 PM
    But it might influence your decision. The fact is that you do read Engadget and you do give people advice.

And just to be clear, I think the same happened to WP. It received a lot of unfair criticism. Fortunately for them, BlackBerry 10 happened.
    Just to be clear, Engadget doesn't influence my decision on what device to recommend to anyone. I'm not going to go around in circles about this.

I have gone into carrier stores with a ton of people and literally none of them have shown interest in the BB10 devices.

I've heard people say the KB was nice on the Q10 or whatever, but that's about it. The OS didn't interest them at all. For some of them, the confusing gesture-based UI was a complete turn-off for them.
    01-28-14 02:57 PM
    Instagram, Netflix, Hulu+, Vine, Snapchat, Viber, Reddit, pretty much every news and sports app available, a lot of games. It's more than a handful.

I think you're missing the point. First of all, Windows Mobile wasn't any crappier than OS 5, because that's when Windows Mobile was replaced by Windows Phone...in 2010. BlackBerry waited too long. They waited so long that they were virtually completely irrelevant.

BlackBerry 10 has more games. Hulu, Reddit and Netflix are only important in the US where WP8 has a tiny market share. Why is their market share 10-15% in Europe where nobody cares about these apps? And as I said, sales picked up long before most of those apps were released.
    As for games, BlackBerry 10 has more quality/popular games than WP8 at the moment.

I think you meant to say OS6. Also, we are talking about BlackBerry 10 and WP 8. I think we all know what BlackBerry did wrong before announcing BlackBerry 10.
    01-28-14 03:00 PM
243 12345 ...