BlackBerry's latest software update turns smartphones into radios

This review (or lack there of) is an absolutely joke. I do not understand how this website can call themselves a tech site...If Android or iOS launched an update as big as this, with this many features it would be announced only once a year as it would be their MAJOR OS update for an entire year, yet BB has launched 3 in a year...I am shocked (actually not really since it is Engadget and we all know their take on BB) that all they focused on was the FM radio receiver! They actually have NO article, NOTHING stating the press release from BB and showing all of the new and great features...

Just saw this article and am quite peeved off and needed to rant and share this joke of a website and article to the CrackBerry people! Read on and comment the the author who clearly does not want to give credit to BB where credit is due.
    sugardad, CDM76, RedFoxOne and 9 others like this.
    01-28-14 09:14 AM
    Let the fward of "awful post", "what about direct android installs", "that's all you've noticed" comments show them that it's time to be serious...

EDIT: What is a "fward"?... I have no idea what it was supposed to be originally, but I am sure I didn't mean to write "fward" lol...
    Last edited by diegonei; 01-29-14 at 07:01 PM.
    fragment137 likes this.
    01-28-14 09:20 AM
    Here the "review". One click on that website is MORE than enough...

"If you own a BlackBerry Z30, Q10 or Q5, then your smartphone can suddenly do a neat little trick. The company's latest software update enables those devices to become an FM radio, letting you stage an impromptu dance party without a data connection. Version 10.2.1 also brings a series of minor, but welcome, tweaks to the platform, including a new screen for answering calls, SMS groups, offline reading mode and picture passwords. The update is making its way to all BlackBerry 10 handsets from today, including the Porsche P'9982, for all you fancy-dans out there."
    01-28-14 09:24 AM
    Fm radio, that's the main feature that they found in this update?

I think direct apk install is such a huge deal they are too scared to mention it lol

Posted via CB10
    Mr.mister and Carjackd like this.
    01-28-14 09:30 AM
    Blackberry are not mentioning it - it is a developer only feature!

At least Engadget have a link to the actual press release. This update went super smooth - im impressed and hope this is the start if good things to come!

Sent from Tapatalk
    howarmat, JeepBB, eldricho and 1 others like this.
    01-28-14 09:33 AM
    In their defense.. BlackBerry hasn't conjured up any kind of fan fare advertising their new features or promoting this update, so why should anyone else?
    01-28-14 09:40 AM
    It's Endgadget.... right up there with BGR... and you expect what!
    Jimberry Storm and brout like this.
    01-28-14 09:54 AM
    I guess all those words after FM radio say nothing else about it?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-28-14 10:02 AM
    Wait a minute, there's no radio for Z10.
    They should have mentioned that, otherwise it's an incompetent review.

Edit, actually they omit Z10 in the list but I didn't notice that after quick reading.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-14 10:08 AM
    No offense intended but why are you surprised?
    01-28-14 10:10 AM
    Yeah thanks to BBRY for shafting Z10 owners re: FM radio.
    01-28-14 10:15 AM
    Engadget is a horrible site of reading any BlackBerry news. They don't cover the important stuff but the stuff they can laugh at, there are no professional bloggers over there

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 and JRF_1986 like this.
    01-28-14 10:17 AM
    It's not supposed to be a review, it's supposed to be an overview. But it still isn't a good enough overview.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    higherdestiny likes this.
    01-28-14 10:19 AM
    I'm excited to download this update. The longer I keep my Q10 the more I realize it's the best smartphone for ME. That's the critical part.

If it only had Sirius radio, a better camera and Instagram it would do everything I need at the moment.

Oh, a trackpad would be nice as well.
    01-28-14 10:25 AM
    Wow, pretty shotty review. FM radio is the only mention of ALL the things now available?

My guess is they spent no more than 20minutes on this article. Either way, its a major fail.
    01-28-14 10:28 AM
    And this is why people don't buy BlackBerry 10 phones. Not because of the app gap or other cr@p like that.
    01-28-14 10:29 AM
    And this is why people don't buy BlackBerry 10 phones. Not because of the app gap or other cr@p like that.
    Though the update is fantastic the non-BB users have no idea about this. Its going to be hard to change the image of BlackBerry, with all the negativity in the media. Hopefully BB can.
    paulomurteira likes this.
    01-28-14 10:37 AM
    Engadget is a BlackBerry Hate site. They used to carry all BlackBerry articles so the daily bash could go on. When BB10 was released, articles were fast and furious bent on BlackBerry destruction. Now that BB10 is maturing and the news is good, Engadget hardly mentions BlackBerry. It refuses to give it a platform. Every BlackBerry user should go to the comment section of Engadget and state that Engadget Sucks!

Posted via CB10
    JRF_1986 and acovey like this.
    01-28-14 10:39 AM
    Though the update is fantastic the non-BB users have no idea about this. Its going to be hard to change the image of BlackBerry, with all the negativity in the media. Hopefully BB can.
    What I don't get is why the media is so negative about BlackBerry. I would understand if companies like Apple or Google were pouring money into their accounts, but writing bad things about a company without even being paid for it makes no sense. What do they get out of it?
    01-28-14 10:46 AM
    "If you own a BlackBerry Z30, Q10 or Q5, then your smartphone can suddenly do a neat little trick. The company's latest software update enables those devices to become an FM radio, letting you stage an impromptu dance party without a data connection. Version 10.2.1 also brings a series of minor, but welcome, tweaks to the platform, including a new screen for answering calls, SMS groups, offline reading mode and picture passwords. The update is making its way to all BlackBerry 10 handsets from today, including the Porsche P'9982, for all you fancy-dans out there."
    Seems positive enough. What did you really expect them to say?
    JeepBB and Mecca EL like this.
    01-28-14 11:00 AM
    Engadget is a BlackBerry Hate site. They used to carry all BlackBerry articles so the daily bash could go on. When BB10 was released, articles were fast and furious bent on BlackBerry destruction. Now that BB10 is maturing and the news is good, Engadget hardly mentions BlackBerry. It refuses to give it a platform. Every BlackBerry user should go to the comment section of Engadget and state that Engadget Sucks!

Posted via CB10
    But WHY??? What do they get out of it?
    01-28-14 11:02 AM
    Seems positive enough. What did you really expect them to say?
    To list all the important updates maybe?
    01-28-14 11:04 AM
    I'm excited to download this update. The longer I keep my Q10 the more I realize it's the best smartphone for ME. That's the critical part.

If it only had Sirius radio, a better camera and Instagram it would do everything I need at the moment.

Oh, a trackpad would be nice as well.
    With this new update you can download the android versions of Sirius, and Instagram (or download the native IGrann from BlackBerry World) but direct APK. downloads you can get those apps!
    01-28-14 11:13 AM
    Ha ... pretty funny .. more information given in the comments than in the actual article... the author should take a note from real journalism.. sad when the tech sites are so blatantly biased against particular companies...
    01-28-14 11:13 AM
    From the link:

Update: BlackBerry hasn't publicly announced that BB 10.2.1 enabled Android APK installation from the file manager, so we've been waiting for an official confirmation before making it public. However, several of you have been in touch to say that this feature is working on your handsets.
    reeneebob and h20work like this.
    01-28-14 11:20 AM
243 123 ...