Nice to see "rebirth" instead of "doom"...

BlackBerry's downfall and rebirth
    Q10Bold, tryfe and SmileDahling like this.
    08-05-14 05:56 PM
    So true! Thanks for the link!
    08-05-14 05:59 PM
    Good headline. But the article is still not as positive. At least to me it was meh.

The positive is the articles are going from down eight negative and hostile to neutrality.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 06:07 PM
    Can't even make it as one article? Effin hate slide show.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 06:08 PM
    It's not positive, but neutral, which is a step up from a headline like "BlackBerry's downfall". The "rebirth" part is what makes it positive. Since it's Engadget, it'll get picked up by Yahoo! Finance and some people will just read the "rebirth" part and think, "Hey, BlackBerry is back/still around."
    08-05-14 07:19 PM
    I think BlackBerry has a lot hanging on the success of the Passport. I hope it is successful and the positive press will continue.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    08-05-14 10:09 PM
    Much like anything else Engadget, this slideshow has nothing of substance. Not even an opinion, just useless regurgitated facts.
    08-05-14 11:58 PM
    The Passport is not the only product they have up their sleeve. Just saying.

Posted from my big beautiful BlackBerry Z30!!! I love this phone!!
    08-06-14 12:04 AM
    It's either here nor there article.. thanks for the share though

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    08-06-14 12:04 AM

As well as the Z3 LTE, the Classic, and the touch screen device slated for 2015. You forgot to mention those.

Posted via CB10
    blusls likes this.
    08-06-14 12:07 AM

Care to elaborate on what the others are?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-06-14 12:43 AM
    Care to elaborate on what the others are?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    The classic? Future products?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-14 01:03 AM
    Think BES12 is the most important product they have coming. Enterprises is their niche, but enterprise hasn't been buying into the new platform. If BES12 has everything they want as Chen suggest, then device sales will pick up.

If BES12 gains no more interest than BES10... then the Passport and the Classic have no where to go.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-06-14 05:47 AM
    I think BlackBerry has a lot hanging on the success of the Passport. I hope it is successful and the positive press will continue.

They aren't as dependent on phone sales anymore. They are relying on services, software, and grabbing a big piece of the IOT pie.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    08-06-14 08:42 AM

If BB has anything hanging on the Passport, they are dead dead dead. That's going to go down as probably the biggest BB flop in history...and that's saying something.
    08-07-14 07:53 PM
    If BB has anything hanging on the Passport, they are dead dead dead. That's going to go down as probably the biggest BB flop in history...and that's saying something.
    Unfortunately, I'm worried that you're right. If it does fail I think that will be one of the final nails in BlackBerry's coffin.

I hope that we're both wrong.

08-07-14 09:12 PM
    They aren't as dependent on phone sales anymore. They are relying on services, software, and grabbing a big piece of the IOT pie.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    Right now they are still pretty reliant on phone sales. They plan to be less reliant in the future but they are there yet.

08-07-14 09:13 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm worried that you're right. If it does fail I think that will be one of the final nails in BlackBerry's coffin.

I hope that we're both wrong.

The Passports success isn't about it being an iPhone sized success or Moto X colossal failure.

It's about the sales it generates adding to the 10 million annual BB10 device sale total. The number quoted by John Chen that will allow them to continue making BlackBerry devices.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-07-14 11:54 PM
    The Passports success isn't about it being an iPhone sized success or Moto X colossal failure.

It's about the sales it generates adding to the 10 million annual BB10 device sale total. The number quoted by John Chen that will allow them to continue making BlackBerry devices.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Unfortunately, I think that the Passport might just be a colossal failure along the lines of the Moto X. I hope I'm wrong.

08-08-14 08:50 AM
    Unfortunately, I think that the Passport might just be a colossal failure along the lines of the Moto X. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't. I hope I'm right

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 01:18 PM

Why hope when you're already there.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-08-14 01:34 PM
    The Moto X's main selling point is customization for style, which isn't enough of a differentiation from the other Android phones.

For BlackBerry 10 fans, there is no other competition for the Passport. It'll be the high-end flagship phone to get until next year.

For the general mobile market, the Passport represents a new form factor. Whether it'll be enough to draw general consumers is unknown, but given how security has been in the headlines lately, perhaps corporations will go back to issuing BlackBerry's for their employees. It'll be the Passport or the Classic, with the Passport more likely for the higher ups since it's premium...
    08-08-14 02:13 PM
    I think it's a reasonable article. Chen played the best card he could with what he has to work with by doing a pivot, stemming the bleeding, and repurposing BB as an enterprise company. This is essentially what IBM did when they lost their status as a tech superpower. While they might only be a shade of their glory days, they survived to still remain a viable and healthy company today. BB will most likely never again become a giant like Google or Apple but an enterprise focused BB could continue to be a decent and long lived company. What's going to be their biggest threat now will be the existing tech giants moving in on that turf.

I'd never buy a BB for personal use, but as a business device I'd find something very compelling about a product like the Passport. Better suited for documents than a "phablet", and nobody else has anything like it.
    08-08-14 03:53 PM
    Why hope when you're already there.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    That doesn't make any sense.

08-08-14 04:14 PM
    That doesn't make any sense.

Oh sorry. It means you're wrong.
    08-08-14 04:19 PM
26 12