Below is link to article. Somewhat unbiased. Engadget has been pretty accurate about RIM

Editorial: Betting on BlackBerry (or hoping) -- Engadget
    bluetroll and zyben like this.
    10-15-12 03:18 PM
    I thought this article was another big positive for BB10. Having big tech names like this get excited for BB10 is the key because they will start to spread some positive vibes months before its even released.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/15/b...rry-or-hoping/

Carrying a BlackBerry Storm requires a certain capacity to face scorn with pride. You have to have a thick skin for pity, too. Also condescension. And incredulity. BlackBerry's reputation is in the gutter, but that's better than being down the sewer, which it was before RIM started showing prototypes of the BlackBerry 10. On the strength of an undeniably cool interface, the BlackBerry brand has clambered back up to ground level, where it sits in delayed-launch limbo. RIM is smartly spending the extra time exposing BB10 prototypes to the smartphone-using audience (and, crucially, app developers).
    grover5, zyben and kbz1960 like this.
    10-15-12 03:39 PM
    Really. We'not supposed to post full articles on here. That's why I didn't in OP
    10-15-12 05:46 PM
    Really. We'not supposed to post full articles on here. That's why I didn't in OP
    I thought you could as long as you provided the source link and not try and take the credit for yourself.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-15-12 06:34 PM
    I read it over there. Good article. I hope that people give BB10 a chance.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-15-12 08:11 PM
    Now, this feature might seem frivolous. But I'm here to tell you: If Time Shift were introduced by Apple at one of its live events, large portions of the discipleship would undergo Rapture and rise to the heavens.
    This is probably one of the greatest lines I've read in awhile.
    10-15-12 08:21 PM
    Yes correct. All Apple iSheeps will praise it like it the second coming of Jesus.
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    10-15-12 09:02 PM
    Engadget still somehow makes the last line saying that it's too late. "Which is exactly what RIM needs to do with the BlackBerry 10: Wind back time and insert a revised version of the company's role in the smartphone wars." Nobody knows the outcome of BB10...
    10-15-12 10:33 PM
    I certainly get the impression that RIM have pulled out all stops to really make BB10 the best they can. Quite a contrast to the in fighting that marked the development of MeeGo @ Nokia as well as the managerial bungling that led to its demise. See a lot of MeeGo in the swiping with BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-16-12 01:10 AM
    I thought you could as long as you provided the source link and not try and take the credit for yourself.
    The end result is the same, you are taking and repackaging someone else's IP without permission - as far as I am aware because Blackberry editorial staff actively moderate the forum they would have no safe habour protection from legal action.

Leaving that aside, it's just plain rude.
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-16-12 03:07 AM
    The end result is the same, you are taking and repackaging someone else's IP without permission - as far as I am aware because Blackberry editorial staff actively moderate the forum they would have no safe habour protection from legal action.

Leaving that aside, it's just plain rude.
    In the US it is fine to post an article as long as credit is given to the author and indicate where your source is. Now if you pull it from a paid for paper or source that might be different. But if pulled from a public, non-subscription based source it is in the public domain.
    I also do not see any statement with the article prohibiting reposting.

As for being "rude" that is not a legal issue and not sure where your getting that from.

The "BlackBerry Editorial Staff" would not be legally affected by this sort of posting.

I think you need a new lawyer.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    esk369 likes this.
    10-16-12 08:58 AM
    Not a bad write up overall. I have never had anyone scorn or put me down for using a BB. Sort of shallow and ego biased I would think.

The Storm does what the author needs it to do. But it does show that said author is not a real tech geek and has lower expectations/needs from his device. Thus I am not sure how qualified they are to offer a solid tech based opinion.

So that what it is
    Someone's opinion.

It is good to see some positive words though. I hope RIM is up to the hype.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-16-12 09:06 AM
    Yes correct. All Apple iSheeps will praise it like it the second coming of Jesus.
    The problem is that there are BlackBerry, Android and Windows Phone sheep as well, which are as blind and loyal as any of Apple's. in fact, the only real difference is in the numbers.
    esk369 and torndownunit like this.
    10-16-12 09:15 AM
    In the US it is fine to post an article as long as credit is given to the author and indicate where your source is. Now if you pull it from a paid for paper or source that might be different. But if pulled from a public, non-subscription based source it is in the public domain.
    This is 100% wrong, see L.A. Times v. Free Republic for example, that is very similar to here because crack-berry has commercial interests. The idea that become something is non-commercial or non-subscription that it is in the public domain is so wrong it is hard to know where to start. It's a very persistent urban myth. Copyright exists on anything published (it's different for content published before 1989) unless explictly and expressed released into the public domain. Fair use allows you to quote an article or selected elements not republish the whole thing.

I also do not see any statement with the article prohibiting reposting.
    � 2012 AOL Inc. All rights Reserved. - might be a clue.

The "BlackBerry Editorial Staff" would not be legally affected by this sort of posting.
    That wasn't my point - the site would be impacted because the act of moderating is seen as creating editorial control over the site and its contents - this is why at Wikipedia, the editing of the site is never done by Wikipedia foundation staff except in very limited circumstances so that they can have a safe habour defence.
    VerryBestr and Blacklatino like this.
    10-16-12 02:07 PM
    The problem is that there are BlackBerry, Android and Windows Phone sheep as well, which are as blind and loyal as any of Apple's. in fact, the only real difference is in the numbers.
    Exactly. How many times have I read on this site people saying they will be buying BB10 regardless, and will be first in line. All this without knowing build quality, ecosystem, bugs, reviews etc. But Apple people are "sheep"
    10-16-12 02:29 PM
    that site is poison
    10-16-12 04:28 PM
    I disagree. By a long shot most of the iPhone flag wavers I've met have been people who aren't even remotely interested in tech beyond how they can IM or SMS their social circles. Let's be honest here too - a lot of people will buy an iPhone for the same reason they buy handbags from Coach. Conversely, android seems to attract a lot of people who don't want to shell out for overpriced electronic fashion statements, and also quite a large number of techies (most of XDA developers website members are android people).
    10-16-12 08:56 PM
    This is 100% wrong, see L.A. Times v. Free Republic for example, that is very similar to here because crack-berry has commercial interests. The idea that become something is non-commercial or non-subscription that it is in the public domain is so wrong it is hard to know where to start. It's a very persistent urban myth. Copyright exists on anything published (it's different for content published before 1989) unless explictly and expressed released into the public domain. Fair use allows you to quote an article or selected elements not republish the whole thing.

� 2012 AOL Inc. All rights Reserved. - might be a clue.

That wasn't my point - the site would be impacted because the act of moderating is seen as creating editorial control over the site and its contents - this is why at Wikipedia, the editing of the site is never done by Wikipedia foundation staff except in very limited circumstances so that they can have a safe habour defence.

SUSTAINED!
    10-16-12 10:47 PM
    I disagree. By a long shot most of the iPhone flag wavers I've met have been people who aren't even remotely interested in tech beyond how they can IM or SMS their social circles. Let's be honest here too - a lot of people will buy an iPhone for the same reason they buy handbags from Coach. Conversely, android seems to attract a lot of people who don't want to shell out for overpriced electronic fashion statements, and also quite a large number of techies (most of XDA developers website members are android people).
    This is laughable. By FAR the biggest selling point for BB in Indonesia, South Africa, Nigeria, Phillipines (you know, the countries where BB marketshare is increasing and not decreasing) is BBM. Even in the UK, BBM is the key selling point for loads of consumers. So you have exactly the same scenario where folks are just in it for BBMing their social circles.

Sometimes I think you folks in North America have no idea how much RIM depends on BBM to stay alive.
    10-17-12 01:37 AM
    This is laughable. By FAR the biggest selling point for BB in Indonesia, South Africa, Nigeria, Phillipines (you know, the countries where BB marketshare is increasing and not decreasing) is BBM. Even in the UK, BBM is the key selling point for loads of consumers. So you have exactly the same scenario where folks are just in it for BBMing their social circles.

Sometimes I think you folks in North America have no idea how much RIM depends on BBM to stay alive.
    lol. the main reason why 100% of my colleagues use BB as main phone. because of bbm.
    and the second phones are normally samsungs.
    we ONLY use BB because of bbm. other than that, photo, video and surfing the web, we use notes for the screen and playback.

Sent from my torchy Torch 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-17-12 01:47 AM

Laughable huh? Ironic considering your reply has absolutely nothing to do at all with the context of what I said. If I had said "the sky is blue" your reply makes about as much sense based on that statement as replying "that's laughable, jets are fast". You're the second person to reply to me like that tonight, did I miss a party with a free open bar somewhere tonight?
    10-17-12 03:08 AM
    Wow it seems people have short memories. You do remember a time when Blackberries were the cool product, and everyone that owned one looked down on people using other products? So does that automatically mean they were technically illiterate sheep as well? People really need to stop worrying about why other people use the products they use, and stop making blanket about why they do. It sounds ridiculous and doesn't do anything to help RIM or people's perception of RIM.
    10-17-12 05:35 AM
    Agreed. I actually spit out some of my coffee reading this unexpected funny. It is funny mind you because it's so very true.

Also - To those that think that BB had mindless followers that looked down upon all others is somewhat misleading and somewhat true depending on how you look at it. Many credit RIM for actually inventing the 'smartphone' so to that extent, they really were superior. Don't get me wrong, spending the days mocking people for their phone choice beyond the playful banter, demonstrates a lack of maturity as one recent op ed pointed out. That holds true regardless of what phone(s) you have. On the other hand, one could also argue that since BB fans have suffered through a massive decline in both public opinion and competitiveness (in certain areas), we are the most capable of being informed in our views about the products. Now I have to mention the 'of course' factor for those that are unable to piece it together. 'Of course' not all CB members or BB users in general are the same and I'm not trying to speak for everyone.

Since I am typing with my now spilled coffee on my desk, I might as well address the other theme that this thread has morphed into. Can some of the forum lawyers please summarize whether it is ok to post a link or story from another site on here? I am not a lawyer obviously and I have read that people should post the article here (with source mentioned) so that we dont give 'hits' to particularly flaming posts elsewhere on the internet. It seems that people also say that it is illegal to do that and burn in (all in legal talk). Speaking for my layman self here, once people get too crazy with x vs y and this and that precedent, I get turned off linking anything at all from another site which hinders the quality of conversation and debates in my opinion.
    Last edited by metz9444; 10-17-12 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Update
    10-17-12 08:22 AM
    There's an important qualifier in your post: "flag wavers you've met." Your statement may accurately reflect the people you've met, but you fail to establish any evidence that shows the people you have met are representative of users generally.
    10-17-12 09:27 AM
    Hi,
    I just registered on Crackberry. I can read and reply to forums but cannot see where I can start a new thread. I have been looking for hours to get help with an issue. Sorry to jump in with this unreleated topic. I would really appreciate any help to get me started.
    10-17-12 12:32 PM
34 12