11-07-09 04:05 PM
34 12
tools
    I love how people on these forums act like they know exactly what's going on inside RIM headquarters right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 05:20 AM
    Without seeing RIM's books it's hard to say.

Based on the fact that their entire business is built on commerical/business customers, I think the consumer market is just bonus for them. That's probably why they're not even trying to make an iPhone killer. The Storm/2 do not count. Despite what many people think, they're not iPhone killers and were never meant to be. They're traditional BlackBerries with a touch interface for folks who prefer it over the typical keyboard. Any "this is the iPhone killer!" buzz is regurgitated nonsense from BlackBerry fans who wanted to have something to brag about over Apple.

Why doesn't RIM "innovate harder or faster?" Because completely new products require new training. Corporations with a heavy user base of BlackBerries (especially those corporations that practically DEPEND on BlackBerries) don't want to spend precious resources re-training their employees how to use their newfangled phones. RIM is smart to take baby steps.

Sure, I could learn a whole new phone in a day or two. But I'm gadget-minded. I could NOT train 100 employees, let alone thousands, how to use a whole new phone in a day or two unless they were all gadget-minded like me. The **** it would wreak on my business if my bottom line required my employees to know their phones inside and out would be too terrible to contemplate.

"New BlackBerries aren't hard to learn!" you say. Yeah, that's right. That's because they don't change much. Businesses like it that way. Gradual change = good. Fast change = bad. Even if the end result is the same.
    Wow, that's some insight, I was wondering why my wife's work still uses windows xp and an old version of microsoft office, I haven't thought of cost of retraining etc

Consumer market is volatile, it changes with the wind.
    Business market is rock solid and a stable income provider.

I know what I would chose

11-06-09 05:28 AM
    The very reason that I do not think that I could switch now. I'm hooked on push email haha
    Me too. I never thought it was a big deal until I met AND booked a client within 3 days of the initial email due to the speed at which I can reply to inquiries. Before push email it would have dragged out because I could only check and reply to email when I had time to sit down at my laptop. Sometimes they'd lose interest by the time I could get back to them.
    11-06-09 05:30 AM
    all busineses need to grow. you can't just invent something and sit back. well, you can of course, but if you've got drive to succeed and want to be the best in your market you have to innovate and develop. look at google. if they had sat back after nailing the 'search' world we wouldn't have maps, earth, gmail - nothing. RIM need to compete in the 'frills' space or their competitors will catch up on Push tech and leaving them for dust.
    11-06-09 06:07 AM
    I love how people on these forums act like they know exactly what's going on inside RIM headquarters right now.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm expecting the crystal ball and the circa 1920's decor as well.

Unless you work for RIM, you really need to find a hobby when it comes to this subject.
    11-06-09 06:17 AM

Agreed. I have yet to encounter a RIM CEO roaming around these forums. RIM has been hitting the consumer market, without jeopardizing their core targets, business consumers. Push email, rock-solid security, and a services built directly for businesses has put RIM on top, and I sure RIM will always be a strong player in the smartphone market.
    11-06-09 06:19 AM
    Agreed, you have to continue to innovate to grow and succeed. Here's a brief bit of history to reflect on:
    Apple Computer--1999
    by David B. Yoffie, Mary Kwak

22 pages. Publication date: Mar 29, 1999. Prod. #: 799108-PDF-ENG

In 1980, Apple was the leader of the PC industry, but by 1999, it had suffered heavy losses at the hands of the Wintel camp. This case examines Apple's efforts to create sustainable competitive advantage as the PC industry evolves. After discussing Apple's history and past strategic moves (1977-1999), the case poses the question: Can Steve Jobs make Apple "insanely great" again?
    From Harvard Business Publishing, circa 1999

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, had written off Apple as a washed up company. So much for Business writers....
    11-06-09 06:26 AM
    Obviously someone hasn't been paying attention to how the cell phone market has been working for the last 5 yrs!

I guess you got me there. I've only been following the cell phone market for about a year now. I'd rather call it the Con artist market. Its almost comparable to the car industry. Nothing but smiles and handjobs until you sign that contract. This is what I've gathered so far in a year or so through personal experience.
    11-06-09 07:17 PM
    That is a very good point!

I also may wanna note that Ford was one of the few (of not the only) American automakers that did not require a bailout. So if this analogy holds water...

I am not concerned that RIM is in trouble, because I somehow doubt they are.

Rim had almost absolute dominance a few years ago - there was no real competition in the smartphone market. From that position there is only one way their market share can go - downward as other manufacturers join the game. That doesn't mean the company or the product is failing, simply that users now have a wider choice and the market is growing.

Many years ago Ford was in a similar position - there was no real competitor to the Model-T (black only), and customers in that market had to buy Ford even if it was not ideal for their needs. Then other companies formed, and Ford's market share declined - but Ford continued to grow and generate profit.
    11-07-09 04:05 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD