What do you all think about the article on the businessinsider.com yesterday suggesting that RIM needs finding a buyer now? I can't post the link to the article since my post is less than 10. But, the article predicts RIM's market share will shrink, and so right now, it is the best time to find the buyer.
    11-05-09 03:19 PM
    i really dont think they have anything to worry about
    11-05-09 03:20 PM
    i think its a bit overdramatic to think RIM is done for because of an article on a business website dont you think?
    11-05-09 03:24 PM
    Storm 2 and the 9700, they aren't done in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 03:33 PM
    Storm 2 and the 9700, they aren't done in.

Yea? So it's just more of the same old rehashed garbage-

They aren't done for.

Not even close-

Palm was closer to destruction, and they're still moving forward (albeit with a limp)
    11-05-09 03:36 PM

They aren't done for.

Not even close-

Palm was closer to destruction, and they're still moving forward (albeit with a limp)

Agreed, well put Prada...
    11-05-09 03:38 PM

They aren't done for.

Not even close-

Agreed. If Palm and Sprint can continue to trudge forward, RIM shouldnt worry too much. They do need to continue to improve and innovate though, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by cenloe; 11-05-09 at 10:07 PM.
    11-05-09 04:12 PM
    i dont think they're done but if they keep up with this "same phone different name" garbage they're goin gto be in trouble in the near future....
    11-05-09 04:21 PM
    exactly. keeping up with the competition.
    11-05-09 05:40 PM
    Rim has the government and business market pretty well in their back pocket, they aren't going anywhere. If Iden can keep limping along for all thse years, Rim is in good shape

11-05-09 06:43 PM
    If Saturday Night Live is still on the air then RIM can survive
    11-05-09 07:02 PM
    Not that revenue is the only factor to consider, but RIM is generating $1.7B-$2B/quarter in revenue. Somebody's buying. That said, they need to get their a$$es in gear in many areas.
    11-05-09 07:23 PM
    The funniest **** is that they are actually growing, just not as fast and people are over-reacting.
    11-05-09 07:25 PM
    Not that revenue is the only factor to consider, but RIM is generating $1.7B-$2B/quarter in revenue. Somebody's buying. That said, they need to get their a$$es in gear in many areas.
    It's because a lot of people here and on other sites like to look at the consumer side and that's it. They figure if they aren't driving consumer innovation = flat out failure and losing money...

That's a pretty huge and incorrect assumption....
    11-05-09 07:26 PM
    If Saturday Night Live is still on the air then RIM can survive
    hahaha well said..

BB OS is one of the most secure smartphone OS' out there. Yeah they do need to improve some stuff but its getting there.

The one thing people often forget about is that BIS and BES are completely different. Although BIS might be lacking some features we would love like push calendar etc., with BES, they don't just sell you a cell phone, they also offer the support and the IT infrastructure to use it to its full extent.
    11-05-09 07:36 PM
    and so right now, it is the best time to find the buyer.
    Definitely.

Microsoft and Google better be nervous too.
    11-05-09 07:45 PM
    RIM isn't nearing it's end anytime soon...
    11-05-09 07:46 PM

They aren't done for.

Not even close-

Palm, even with the high PRE sales numbers, still reported a loss because of R&D and production costs. Palm isnt exactly trudging forward. They are falling backwards. They overextended themselves in a market where their marketshare was miniscule.
    11-05-09 08:08 PM
    With their recent track record I wouldn't be surprised. S1 seemed like more of a scam for money than anything else according to reviews. And the Tour as well (mine works OK) but how many people have complained and are still complaining about the trackball issue. They need to shape up their act, IMO. Why hype up the S1 so much and let everyone down like that, then a year later come out with the S2 that works like the S1 should have. Plus the majority of people are locked into their S1 for a while now. Kind of shocking that this happened. Oh and the Tour2 is already in the works?? why not make a decent product the first time.
    11-05-09 08:37 PM
    With their recent track record I wouldn't be surprised. S1 seemed like more of a scam for money than anything else according to reviews. And the Tour as well (mine works OK) but how many people have complained and are still complaining about the trackball issue. They need to shape up their act, IMO. Why hype up the S1 so much and let everyone down like that, then a year later come out with the S2 that works like the S1 should have. Plus the majority of people are locked into their S1 for a while now. Kind of shocking that this happened. Oh and the Tour2 is already in the works?? why not make a decent product the first time.
    Obviously someone hasn't been paying attention to how the cell phone market has been working for the last 5 yrs!

11-06-09 03:15 AM
    I actually hope RIM thinks that its end is near. That way, they'll step up their game! The dying always fight the hardest.
    11-06-09 03:53 AM
    Rim's still king in push email, I can't believe nobody has a real alternative to BIS or even BES yet. A handset is only half the story, what's the point in having a fancy iphone or android if they don't supply a 10 accounts push email service like Rim does.
    I get my emails in 7 timed seconds, as long as there's no alternative to that Rim can count on my money.

11-06-09 04:44 AM
    What do you all think about the article on the businessinsider.com yesterday suggesting that RIM needs finding a buyer now? I can't post the link to the article since my post is less than 10. But, the article predicts RIM's market share will shrink, and so right now, it is the best time to find the buyer.
    Without seeing RIM's books it's hard to say.

Based on the fact that their entire business is built on commerical/business customers, I think the consumer market is just bonus for them. That's probably why they're not even trying to make an iPhone killer. The Storm/2 do not count. Despite what many people think, they're not iPhone killers and were never meant to be. They're traditional BlackBerries with a touch interface for folks who prefer it over the typical keyboard. Any "this is the iPhone killer!" buzz is regurgitated nonsense from BlackBerry fans who wanted to have something to brag about over Apple.

Why doesn't RIM "innovate harder or faster?" Because completely new products require new training. Corporations with a heavy user base of BlackBerries (especially those corporations that practically DEPEND on BlackBerries) don't want to spend precious resources re-training their employees how to use their newfangled phones. RIM is smart to take baby steps.

Sure, I could learn a whole new phone in a day or two. But I'm gadget-minded. I could NOT train 100 employees, let alone thousands, how to use a whole new phone in a day or two unless they were all gadget-minded like me. The **** it would wreak on my business if my bottom line required my employees to know their phones inside and out would be too terrible to contemplate.

"New BlackBerries aren't hard to learn!" you say. Yeah, that's right. That's because they don't change much. Businesses like it that way. Gradual change = good. Fast change = bad. Even if the end result is the same.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 11-06-09 at 05:01 AM.
    11-06-09 04:46 AM
    It's because a lot of people here and on other sites like to look at the consumer side and that's it. They figure if they aren't driving consumer innovation = flat out failure and losing money...

That's a pretty huge and incorrect assumption....
    Rim had almost absolute dominance a few years ago - there was no real competition in the smartphone market. From that position there is only one way their market share can go - downward as other manufacturers join the game. That doesn't mean the company or the product is failing, simply that users now have a wider choice and the market is growing.

Many years ago Ford was in a similar position - there was no real competitor to the Model-T (black only), and customers in that market had to buy Ford even if it was not ideal for their needs. Then other companies formed, and Ford's market share declined - but Ford continued to grow and generate profit.
    11-06-09 05:18 AM
    It would be interesting to see a consumer line with a different OS. Same features, just a different OS. I like my BB the way it is now, but I wouldn't mind having it a bit more up to date. I understand that they are primarily for business and I use my personal BB for work as well as personal things. If everyone is looking for a fast OS, with a touch screen, and kinetic scrolling they're really looking at an iPhone. All RIM would have to do is give their OS some shine.

Rim's still king in push email, I can't believe nobody has a real alternative to BIS or even BES yet. A handset is only half the story, what's the point in having a fancy iphone or android if they don't supply a 10 accounts push email service like Rim does.
    I get my emails in 7 timed seconds, as long as there's no alternative to that Rim can count on my money.
    The very reason that I do not think that I could switch now. I'm hooked on push email haha
    11-06-09 05:19 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD