Is this the future?

http://www.infowars.com/verizon-follows-google-in-turning-phones-tvs-into-wiretaps/
    12-06-12 01:07 PM
    12-06-12 01:08 PM
    Classic scaremongering from Infowars.
    If you read the actual patent, it states that it's only building on existing technology that people use, for example smart TV's with gesture control or Microsoft's Kinect. A lot of the technology it uses is similar to Kinect in the way it recognizes people. Plus, just because it's patented, doesn't mean they're planning on using it. With smart TV's getting cheaper and cheaper it's no surprise that someone took the initiative to patent the method.

Patent Website

Edit* Didn't see you'd posted the patent link.
    12-06-12 01:21 PM
    Classic scaremongering from Infowars.
    If you read the actual patent, it states that it's only building on existing technology that people use, for example smart TV's with gesture control or Microsoft's Kinect. A lot of the technology it uses is similar to Kinect in the way it recognizes people. Plus, just because it's patented, doesn't mean they're planning on using it. With smart TV's getting cheaper and cheaper it's no surprise that someone took the initiative to patent the method.

Patent Website

Edit* Didn't see you'd posted the patent link.
    6 years ago when they first talked about it maybe it was scaremongering, now it's reality.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-06-12 01:39 PM
    6 years ago when they first talked about it maybe it was scaremongering, now it's reality.
    It's scaremongering how they present it. The way they spin the story connotes that it's some sort of evil conspiracy, whereas in reality it's a tech company seeing a trend and patenting an idea for it. Imagine in the near future, a smart TV that recognizes your face, logs you into your account and then displays content tailored to you, for example, "You watched x program, so you may like y." Patenting a system that capitalises on such a system is a very smart move on Verizons part.
    jafrul likes this.
    12-06-12 01:47 PM
    It's scaremongering how they present it. The way they spin the story connotes that it's some sort of evil conspiracy, whereas in reality it's a tech company seeing a trend and patenting an idea for it. Imagine in the near future, a smart TV that recognizes your face, logs you into your account and then displays content tailored to you, for example, "You watched x program, so you may like y." Patenting a system that capitalises on such a system is a very smart move on Verizons part.
    But does it really need to know if you're eating or cuddling on the sofa?

Personally I find it very scary and I'd rather give up TV then have one of those in my house.
    12-06-12 01:50 PM
    I personally believe that its a discrace. There's no way of stopping it though. Its becoming a sterile world with no privacy.
    12-06-12 01:55 PM
    But does it really need to know if you're eating or cuddling on the sofa?

Personally I find it very scary and I'd rather give up TV then have one of those in my house.
    Patents can often include crazy things like that. They cast a wide net so that competition can't patent something similar. I agree with you that it's a bit creepy and I personally wouldn't want something watching me eat either but I don't think it's quite the conspiracy Alex Jones makes it out to be .
    jafrul likes this.
    12-06-12 01:59 PM
    Again, BD.. I have to agree with you my Belfast Laddy...

Truly unbelievable!!!
    But, I guess I have to start believing....
    I am sooooo against this. It makes me sick.

It seems straight forward with no shame. But, what really gets me is that they are asking consumers to actually pay to lose their privacy?
    Americans buying the product would not only be literally inviting big brother to come into their homes, but asking him to walk about inside it with them.
    H*ll, even a simple phone application is free, if they want to inundate you with advertisements!
    Who in their right mind would pay for these boxes.
    I can't wait to hear from someone who would...
    12-06-12 02:08 PM
    It's only really scary when it becomes illegal to turn them off.
    12-06-12 02:14 PM
    I'd rather give up TV then have one of those in my house.
    That's what it seems like it's going to come down to...
    12-06-12 02:20 PM
    Dude, your tinfoil hat is on so tight its making your nose bleed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007, Rickroller and rottonj like this.
    12-06-12 02:36 PM
    Dude, your tinfoil hat is on so tight its making your nose bleed.

So, dude, would you put one of them tv boxes in your house? Would you be happy to use one?
    12-06-12 02:50 PM
    So, dude, would you put one of them tv boxes in your house? Would you be happy to use one?
    Okay, we're taking about a patent here first off. Let's make that understood. I mean, we've seen some sh*t crazy patents over the last 3 years that intentions will likely never see the light of day. Then other ideas that do make it into products, but are a complete far cry from what was seen in the pending patents. Obviously Verizon knows that the details of the patent isn't anything a sane person would want to be apart of. But that's why it's a patent and not a product. We're talking about nothing more than an idea being licensed.

And no I wouldn't want such a product in my life.

JR0898 likes this.
    12-06-12 03:10 PM
    Wow, the comments after that article is like paranoia in print lol. All those people sound like they're one brick short of a load.

Better move up into the mountains and live in some caves people, because that's the only way you'll be safe from prying eyes.
    JR0898 likes this.
    12-06-12 03:34 PM
    They are going to make it that all tv's have them. Television manufacturers will be subsidized by verizon and google. Verizon and google will get their take from the companies advertising. Just like targeted google ads online right now. Theyvwill somehow make it that if the sensor is not working, or covered up, or tampered with that the whole television does not work. So you have to go in and get the latest model with better sensors.
    12-06-12 04:08 PM
    They are going to make it that all tv's have them. Television manufacturers will be subsidized by verizon and google. Verizon and google will get their take from the companies advertising. Just like targeted google ads online right now. Theyvwill somehow make it that if the sensor is not working, or covered up, or tampered with that the whole television does not work. So you have to go in and get the latest model with better sensors.
    Source?
    12-06-12 04:09 PM
    Source?
    Sometimes you just know that's what's gonna happen.

Take motorcycles for example, somebody decided in Europe a few years ago that all motorcycles should have the headlights on at all times............so they took away the button to turn it off even if there's no law to do so.
    12-06-12 04:17 PM
    Sometimes you just know that's what's gonna happen.

Take motorcycles for example, somebody decided in Europe a few years ago that all motorcycles should have the headlights on at all times............so they took away the button to turn it off even if there's no law to do so.
    Come on, you're comparing apples to oranges...
    12-06-12 04:33 PM
    Source?
    Joined november 2012. Who are you
    12-06-12 04:38 PM
    Come on, you're comparing apples to oranges...
    Just saying, before you know it you'll not have a choice, it will be that kind of TV box or nothing.
    12-06-12 04:39 PM
    Joined november 2012. Who are you
    Why Instead of asking a pointless question can't you just provide your source?

Rickroller, JR0898 and mikeo007 like this.
    12-06-12 04:49 PM
    Just saying, before you know it you'll not have a choice, it will be that kind of TV box or nothing.
    I highly doubt it. Infact I'm willing to put money on it. Infowars has been scaremongering with stuff like this for years, nothing has ever come of it. Alan Carr sums up technology fears perfectly in the first 40 seconds of this video :

Targeted ads are nothing new, Smart TV's with gesture and facial recognition are nothing new. The two will inevitably meet and ads like that will only work for online content.
    12-06-12 05:07 PM
    Why Instead of asking a pointless question can't you just provide your source?

Its not a source. Its my own take on how this may pan out. The only information available is the patent. Is that not clear?
    12-06-12 05:07 PM
    Again, BD.. I have to agree with you my Belfast Laddy...

Truly unbelievable!!!
    But, I guess I have to start believing....
    I am sooooo against this. It makes me sick.

It seems straight forward with no shame. But, what really gets me is that they are asking consumers to actually pay to lose their privacy?

H*ll, even a simple phone application is free, if they want to inundate you with advertisements!
    Who in their right mind would pay for these boxes.
    I can't wait to hear from someone who would...
    In this day and time people stand in line for the latest technology not caring if it's harmful or not. NOT ME!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-06-12 06:32 PM
45 12