Don't BB apps get tied to a PIN/BB I D? Don't they need an activation code?
    Not all do, and there are ways around it. For the record, I do not steal apps; however, I have the technical knowledge of how it's done.
    02-08-12 02:39 PM
    Only legitimate apps. Stolen ones bypass this activation.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 04:26 PM
    You can trust what lak611 and xandermac are posting. All platforms can use stolen apps. Easy to do. Not really why the majority of people jailbreak their devices. There isn't really anything more to add.

I had the same argument a few months ago with a member on this board. He was convinced all torrents were warez. It's going to be the same with jailbreaking. There are legitimate reasons for wanting to JB your iPhone or root your Android. The majority of those who do this (very small percentage when compared to all users of the same device, OS, etc..) do not even know how to download and install an app illegally.
    02-08-12 04:43 PM
    You can trust what lak611 and xandermac are posting. All platforms can use stolen apps. Easy to do. Not really why the majority of people jailbreak their devices. There isn't really anything more to add.

I had the same argument a few months ago with a member on this board. He was convinced all torrents were warez. It's going to be the same with jailbreaking. There are legitimate reasons for wanting to JB your iPhone or root your Android. The majority of those who do this (very small percentage when compared to all users of the same device, OS, etc..) do not even know how to download and install an app illegally.
    There are people who use bittorrent and jailbreaking for legitimate reasons, but that's relatively a small number. I have no need for either one, and I don't see why many people will want them.
    02-08-12 05:06 PM
    There are people who use bittorrent and jailbreaking for legitimate reasons, but that's relatively a small number. I have no need for either one, and I don't see why many people will want them.
    Linux users frequently choose BitTorrent.

Fedora Project - All available methods to get Fedora.

Alternative downloads | Ubuntu

software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3

Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" - DVD (64-bit) - Linux Mint

Debian -- Getting Debian

Arch Linux - Downloads
    02-08-12 06:44 PM
    I know this. Take a look at numbers. How many Linux users are out there vs Windows users? Then do all Linux users use bittorrent to download new distros or updates?

I use linux regularly, and we use several distros. I have no problem downloading them directly from one of the available links, never bothered to use bittorrent for it.

Now can we safely say majority of bittorrent traffic are Linux distros? I don't have any numbers for this but it's not difficult to see it is at best very small percentage.
    02-08-12 07:00 PM
    I have no need for either one, and I don't see why many people will want them.
    Well that's that then. We've solved piracy. Just ban any app or hardware that "could" be used for the purpose because we don't see a need for it. Job jobbed.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-08-12 at 07:22 PM.
    02-08-12 07:14 PM
    Problem is, what the convo has drifted off to is jailbroken apps, not the device itself. With the right skills or program, virtually any app can be made to work for free, and installed on a BlackBerry phone. Jailbreaking in that sense is irrelevant. Now with the next gen, BB10, it could become very relevant, just like on the PlayBook.
    02-08-12 08:23 PM
    Jailbreaking that's the only reason why I bought an iPhone over a blackberry for the free apps
    02-09-12 03:49 PM
    Jailbreaking that's the only reason why I bought an iPhone over a blackberry for the free apps
    That's because you're a little sleazy.

02-09-12 03:51 PM
    I jailbreak for basically two reasons - first, I use My3G to fool the app store (and other apps) into thinking I'm using wifi, which can get you around download restrictions and allow you to FaceTime over 3G. Second, I have a need to tether once in a while.

If the iPhone ever becomes non-JB, then I would move to Blackberry for sure, if they offered a similar solution. As of right now, BB only has tether, and at a high price to boot (compared to TetherMe).

The smartphone manufacturers that produce Android devices, IMO, do not produce a quality product. I think that is where BB and iPhone are clearly better.
    02-09-12 04:04 PM
    I jailbreak for basically two reasons - first, I use My3G to fool the app store (and other apps) into thinking I'm using wifi, which can get you around download restrictions and allow you to FaceTime over 3G. Second, I have a need to tether once in a while.

If the iPhone ever becomes non-JB, then I would move to Blackberry for sure, if they offered a similar solution. As of right now, BB only has tether, and at a high price to boot (compared to TetherMe).

The smartphone manufacturers that produce Android devices, IMO, do not produce a quality product. I think that is where BB and iPhone are clearly better.
    My 9900 has free wifi hotspot, free as in using my data plan, no extra cost and BB doesn't have download restrictions.
    02-09-12 04:14 PM
    That's because you're a little sleazy.

How bout, very SCUMMY......
    02-09-12 04:35 PM
    If I couldn't jailbreak an iPhone, I wouldn't want it. And that's because I really enjoy customizing the look of my device. I get bored looking at the samething too long. I always had themes on my Blackberrys and I'm always tinkering with my Android device.

Could care less about stealing apps...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 04:57 PM

This is an important distinction. Many folks do NOT jailbreak to steal apps.

They do it so that they can violate carrier terms of service.
    02-09-12 05:02 PM
    They do it so that they can violate carrier terms of service.
    Personally I don't blame anyone for this. I pay for 2 GB of data I should be able to use it however I choose. I haven't jailbroken and I don't tether but if I ever needed to I would most certainly violate those terms of service.

02-09-12 06:37 PM
    Personally I don't blame anyone for this. I pay for 2 GB of data I should be able to use it however I choose. I haven't jailbroken and I don't tether but if I ever needed to I would most certainly violate those terms of service.
    Oh, I understand. I was speaking with a customer about a contract yesterday and she said "Those are just words on paper, you can't stop me".

I'd like to think that everyone intends to honor contracts they sign, but that would be naive.

(Oh by the way... I stopped her).
    02-09-12 07:00 PM

Yeah, I don't blame people for this either...

Part of the main reason I rooted my device.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 07:01 PM
    I jailbroke to customise the look only. I have a 6 GB plan that includes tethering so no need to worry, and unlike some rather shall we say sleazy users I don't steal apps income from the developers who worked to make them.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to pay for apps? Download free ones from the app store or don't have a smartphone. I'd love for he makers of installous to have the book thrown at them.

Thieves suck. Thieves who try to justify their thieving are worse.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-09-12 09:55 PM
119 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD