In a few days the DCMA will decide whether or not to extend their approval on individuals jailbreaking their phones. One potential outcome, although unlikely, is that they could choose not to. In such a case individuals could be sued by apple for example for doing it.

I would expect if such a thing were to occur that a lot of people might want to come back to their blackberries. Just a thought. Perhaps a wishful one. What say you?
    02-06-12 08:16 AM
    Can't see it having a major impact. That's not the main reason for choosing iPhone over a BB.
    02-06-12 08:20 AM
    No. But rather that being actually limited to the IOS enviroment for the first time might be very upsetting an rather limiting to a lot of people. My iphone was always jailbroken and I left that because it was too limiting.
    02-06-12 08:25 AM
    I'd say the major reason for Jailbreaking is for the ability to customize the phone. If anything, these people would be more compelled to Android, because of it's huge customizability.
    deezy87 likes this.
    02-06-12 08:27 AM
    I would argue that the reason most people are attracted to iOS is precisely because they don't have to customize anything. They are held by the hand and taken for strolls through a very high-walled garden. And a lot of people seem to like that, particularly those without any technological bent.
    02-06-12 08:33 AM
    Mine is jailbroken as well but to be honest I ran jailbroken before and I'd do it again, so it wouldn't bug me.

However I was informed by another poster here that 90% of jailbroken phones are jailbroken to use installous and steal apps and that's the only reason to jailbreak. So I suppose for the thieves it may cause a problem.

Well a bigger problem than being a thief. Lol. I guess I'm the only jailbreaker who still pays for apps, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    02-06-12 08:33 AM
    Mine is jailbroken as well but to be honest I ran jailbroken before and I'd do it again, so it wouldn't bug me.

However I was informed by another poster here that 90% of jailbroken phones are jailbroken to use installous and steal apps and that's the only reason to jailbreak. So I suppose for the thieves it may cause a problem.

Well a bigger problem than being a thief. Lol. I guess I'm the only jailbreaker who still pays for apps, apparently.

The fact jailbreaking can be used to steal apps could be a deciding factor.
    02-06-12 09:21 AM
    No. But rather that being actually limited to the IOS enviroment for the first time might be very upsetting an rather limiting to a lot of people. My iphone was always jailbroken and I left that because it was too limiting.
    Here's a tip: most people don't jailbreak.

Here's another: Android has had a much bigger impact on BlackBerry sales decline than the iPhone has.
    02-06-12 09:42 AM
    Agreed: the vast majority don't jailbreak or root.

Now, is it really true that most jailbroken phones are used to steal apps? I truly don't know.
    02-06-12 10:18 AM

I never installed Installous. I have no problem paying for a quality app. I jailbreak for the extra shortcuts (SBsettings) and some customization. I left my iPhone 4 stock since VZW release and only decided to JB when the 5.0 JB came out. My 3G and 3GS were jailbroken at all times though.

The fact jailbreaking can be used to steal apps could be a deciding factor.
    I'm pretty sure it's easy to steal apps on all the platforms as well without jailbreaking/rooting.
    02-06-12 10:19 AM
    ...snip....
    I'm pretty sure it's easy to steal apps on all the platforms as well without jailbreaking/rooting.
    The DCMA doesn't think like this.
    02-06-12 10:35 AM
    I imagine most people were jailbreaking before the DMCA exemption and will continue to after it expires. I jailbroke my 1st gen iPhone long before the exemption. I haven't jailbroken my newer devices but the "law" on jailbreaking has nothing to do with that decision. The exemption was granted July of 2010 so the millions of jail breakers prior to that weren't too concerned either.

Edit. FYI, when I did jailbreak it wasn't for stolen apps. I purchased apps through cydia (in additions to the $100s I've spent at the AppStore). I have no problem buying apps.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-06-12 at 10:55 AM.
    02-06-12 10:47 AM
    The DCMA doesn't think like this.
    Yep. Stealing will be done no matter what. Just like all these bills trying to restrict the internet. Piracy will still happen. All day, every day.
    02-06-12 10:51 AM
    Noob iOS question - Do you need to jailbreak to unlock the phone for use with a SIM card of your choice? Especially if your iPhone is CDMA (lime the 4S) with global capabilities?
    02-06-12 12:03 PM
    The JailBreacking is one of the major reason why iPhone is popular now. Everyone I know that use iPhone is jailbroken so they get free apps. Without apps it is just stanadrd touch screen phone. Apple was smart enough to let people jail break the phone so it becomes popular and increase their own profit rather than developers.
    Kosmann likes this.
    02-06-12 12:17 PM
    The JailBreacking is one of the major reason why iPhone is popular now. Everyone I know that use iPhone is jailbroken so they get free apps. Without apps it is just stanadrd touch screen phone. Apple was smart enough to let people jail break the phone so it becomes popular and increase their own profit rather than developers.
    No.

Apple does not encourage jailbreaking, and the VAST majority of folks are stock.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-06-12 12:20 PM
    I seriously doubt if more than 1% of all iOS devices are jailbroken. Maybe in certain circles there is a larger percentage, but 99%+ of all iOS users don't mess with it.
    02-06-12 12:22 PM
    Can't see it having a major impact. That's not the main reason for choosing iPhone over a BB.
    It wasn't for me.

I seriously doubt if more than 1% of all iOS devices are jailbroken. Maybe in certain circles there is a larger percentage, but 99%+ of all iOS users don't mess with it.
    I'm not planning on JBing my 4s. My sister jailbroke her 3GS and effed it up. Stock works just fine for me.
    02-06-12 12:32 PM
    No.

Apple does not encourage jailbreaking, and the VAST majority of folks are stock.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Of course Apple can not encourage it openly, if they do not then why APple has not been able to fix it for years. There is no data out there how many phones are jalilbroken but based on website for jailbroken, local ads on craigslist it's huge.
    02-06-12 01:27 PM
    If theyre using the IOS ecosystem and are used to the IOS experience, why would they go to BB if jailbreaking was removed...

That really doesn't make any sense at all. They would either stick with IOS regardless, or go to another platform that offers a similar level of browsing experience + app availability and also allows customization. BB7 is not that...
    02-06-12 01:35 PM
    Android isn't it either, too complicated for the ios user. Maybe Windows.
    02-06-12 01:53 PM
    Android isn't it either, too complicated for the ios user. Maybe Windows.
    WP is largely an unknown to most still and the apps are not there, nor are a lot of services.
    02-06-12 02:04 PM
    Of course Apple can not encourage it openly, if they do not then why APple has not been able to fix it for years. There is no data out there how many phones are jalilbroken but based on website for jailbroken, local ads on craigslist it's huge.
    Your evidence is a website and craigs's list? Man please. Come back when you have some verifiable numbers.
    02-06-12 02:17 PM
    WP is largely an unknown to most still and the apps are not there, nor are a lot of services.
    True, so in theory, then, the IOS user has to stick with an unjailbroken device. If IOS users will not migrate to Android or BB, that leaves them at square one.
    02-06-12 03:07 PM
    Basically, if every person with a jailbroken iOS device said they were leaving the platform for another because they couldn't jb anymore, Apple would still not lose much by way of sales.
    02-06-12 03:17 PM
119 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD