02-27-11 09:51 PM
35 12
tools
    Yes um, I think its the carriers, not RIM.

I am sure Apple or any company wants control over its phones. What better way to do that than through one carrier? Instead of having to train RIM employees how to handle the Storm on ATT, they can just train them for Verizons network. So it does make sense too.

BUT, I am sure the carriers do it. Just like how Microsoft would buy the rights to exclusive video game titles that use to be only for Playstation.

How many loyal customers do you think ATT has now, even though the iphone is on Verizon? By locking it on to ATT, people tried it out and most of them liked it. Yes a lot complained, but no other phone has sold that well so its only natural for its complaints to be that loud too.

As long as girls look better than another, guys will try to handcuff her until she is married

And as long as phone stand apart from each other companies will attempt to lock on to their rights, at least for the initial 6 months.
    02-22-11 12:54 AM
    WTF?! No NFC support?! Another failure.
    Add that in as well, it would change nothing. Although what is NFC?

Oh, and while I'm at it, let's have full 3D/1080p HD video recording,
    02-22-11 03:01 AM
    NFC - near field communication. Devices "talking" to each other.

For the latest hot appliation, being able to make purchases with your phone. Some of the new BBerries are said to support it. I was trying to remember which ones but I'm drawing a blank.

Oh! The Torch 2, at least.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-22-11 at 03:52 AM.
    02-22-11 03:47 AM
    Something to keep in mind is that carrier exclusives are generally not what RIM wants. They never benefit RIM, only the carriers. RIM only provides carrier exclusives under pressure from carriers. So lectures to RIM that they should try to avoid exclusives aren't going to the right people. Of course they want their phones to go to everyone. If carrier walls are coming down, it is either because RIM managed to negotiate better, or because they are finally unshackled from the exclusivity period, or because the carriers aren't pushing that hard now for exclusivity.
    I think it is shortsighted to think that Rim doesn't benefit from an exclusive e.g. if they weren't getting any benefit from the Torch exclusivity then they could obviously just go to the other 3 carriers in the states and thus force at&t to toe the line or risk missing out. The simple fact of the matter is that they don't have the same advertising budget as apple (no other handset maker does) so at&t promoting the torch quite heavily benefits Rim and Blackberry as a whole (similarly with the Style and Sprint to a less extent) and if the same thing happens for Torch 2 they will see an even bigger benefit since the other carriers will also have far more compelling options such as Dakota, Monaco etc too.

Too many exclusives are a bad thing, but them doing one from time to time isn't such a bad thing overall providing that the vast majority of the range continues to be available.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 02-22-11 at 04:43 AM.
    02-22-11 04:40 AM
    I would hope that carrier exclusives would end in 2011 for RIM. I've been saying this for years, it's only hurting RIM in the end.

Tons of people on VZ would want a Torch.
    Tons of people on AT&T wanted a Storm (regards of how bad the device was)

Limiting people to choose a carrier for a device they want is a bad move IMO. Make the devices available on all carriers and you can only expand your numbers, which isn't a bad thing last time I checked.
    If the the Torch doesn't come to Verizon before the IPhone 5, I'm moving 20 Blackberries to Apple...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 11:03 PM
    If the the Torch doesn't come to Verizon before the IPhone 5, I'm moving 20 Blackberries to Apple...

I'm wondering why you think the Torch is even better than the iPhone4.

Honestly, the hardware in the next Storm will be better than the Torch is and with 6.1, I'd expect that to be a slightly better "holdover" device than a Torch ever will be.
    02-24-11 11:13 PM
    He most probably means a Torch 2 which looks like it is going to have basically the same specs as the next storm, but the odds are that he is going to be disappointed as the Torch series seems most likely to be exclusive if any out of the new devices.

The slightly weird thing with the claim is that the lack of a torch would force him to move to an all-touch phone when vzw offer other keyboard + touch options.
    02-25-11 03:27 AM
    Unfortunately for them, they've lost the "exclusivity" aspect of the handset market. Blackberry is the new Toyota/Honda of the mobile world... everyone has one and the models range from low to high. Nothing special, just gets the job done cheaply.

i believe that the iphone is doing the same.. losing it's exclusivity.
    From the soccer moms to the clerks checking you out at the grocery.
    from my mechanic to my investment advisor,
    from someone who's 10 to somebody who's 70.
    and maybe it's not a bad thing.
    02-25-11 10:47 AM
    It would be fantastic if carrier exclusives were done. The newest BS is already available for one and not the other, forces you to unlock it (GSM) or sell it (CDMA) to get another.

02-27-11 12:47 PM
    He most probably means a Torch 2 which looks like it is going to have basically the same specs as the next storm, but the odds are that he is going to be disappointed as the Torch series seems most likely to be exclusive if any out of the new devices.

The slightly weird thing with the claim is that the lack of a torch would force him to move to an all-touch phone when vzw offer other keyboard + touch options.
    not weird at all. many people want the screen real estate more than a keyboard.
    02-27-11 09:51 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD