Article from the Globe and Mail

The end of BlackBerry as we know it - The Globe and Mail

Innovate or Die is a new series that focuses on generating ideas to create new markets, products or services that will drive new waves of growth.

Late last year, John Chen, CEO of BlackBerry Ltd., came out and openly questioned the value of ‘leap’ innovations – the kind that set them apart from the competition.

In an open letter, Mr. Chen wrote: “innovation is a word that gets used too often and carelessly. Innovation is not about blowing up what works to make something new – it’s about taking what works and making it better.”

Mr. Chen then went on to promote BlackBerry Classic, citing that by rolling back to what made them great, in addition to new innovations such as BlackBerry Blend and Hub, they would become a stronger player in the market.

So is Mr. Chen’s position on innovation right or wrong?

BlackBerry is treading water in a pool full of sharks. It needs a leap innovation to get them to a level their competitors have yet to reach.
    02-03-15 10:44 AM
    Please don't give links to bashing articles. It gives them more reason to post them. The Glob and Fail is becoming synonymous with BlackBerry bashing.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:08 AM
    Innovation is lacking. All the products released except the Classic was in the works prior to Chens coming to town.

He has refined the cuts started by Thor. So far that's about it.

The next P&L will say much as he is out of accounting tricks.

BlackBerry hates America!
    gtkw1 and crackberry_geek like this.
    02-03-15 11:13 AM
    Blackberry is always badmouthed by the press. Notice how they are bashed in financial and main stream media and not that much in tech media because that media has now more interest than the technical side of it. So, it's more that they want Blackberry to fail because Blackberry does not comply with privacy intrusion that exist in other mobile operating systems, that's my theory. Also I see how they are not available in retail stores at all.
    02-03-15 01:27 PM
    The Classic is simply a concession to the hordes of Bold 9900 who want a new phone....only not a new phone. In other words, I like what I have, just make it new. I'm sure in Chen's early days he heard many large Corporate CEO, CIO, COO's making this exact request. So, he had the Team build the Bold 2.0 in deference to this important customer segment.

Now the Passport, that was true piece of innovation.

I wonder how many of these CXX clients actually ordered the Classic in bulk for their large enterprises ? I'll bet not many.
    02-03-15 01:29 PM
    Does anyone read the Globe and "Fail" with any trust these days?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 01:29 PM
    The article is not entirely negative; the writer sees a potential way forward. He suggests that the tablet area is still viable for innovative solutions provided they are purpose designed. Quoting from the article:
    The BlackBerry PED leverages the phablet design for easy reading as well as transportation. The PED, which is built solely for sales, incorporates all of the major functions a professional needs to be successful in the field such as a full customer relationship management (CRM), the ability to track and send e-mails, send and sign documents, data mining tools for prospecting, report generation, web conferencing functionality, sales education and more all from the palm of their hand.

I�m not privy to BlackBerry�s strategic plan � and this is only one idea from an outsider who comes to the table with a particular worldview.

So the article is not entirely negative, even if the headline suggests that.
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-03-15 01:45 PM
    I don't see it as bashing, grow or die would have been my take. The author has some insight into where they could go with their device strategy, something that has been lacking from the start of QNX/BB10, vision.

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-03-15 01:45 PM
    How many more years will the media keep writing these "The End of BlackBerry" type articles?

They look ridiculous now.

BlackBerry isn't going anywhere.
    anfidhlear and Sulaco757 like this.
    02-03-15 02:50 PM
    These articles will continue to get published. No need to get upset about them. BlackBerry will continue to make solid devices for its fans and the industry on which it has kind of come to depend.

The problem with most people, who are sheep of iOS and Android, is that the moment someone says BlackBerry, their panties go into a bunch, they become Anal.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 04:40 PM
    Same ol' articles. Just a different year and a different author.
    02-03-15 04:48 PM
    Every company has there issues...let's not forget apple back in 97 being bailed out by microsoft....also samsung android and ios operating systems when they first came out, they all had problems....so Mr media backoff from BlackBerry let them do there job they will be fine kudos to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-03-15 05:59 PM
    So, it's more that they want Blackberry to fail because Blackberry does not comply with privacy intrusion that exist in other mobile operating systems, that's my theory.
    That's a new one.
    02-03-15 06:31 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Most in the media are followers not leaders.. nor are they current or well informed usually, just good at repeating old worn out clich�s.... and saying what they think is popular or cool... like politicians.. when the wind changes direction... they will too...

Under capable CEO Chen that is slowly changing as BlackBerry returns to focused innovation ... it will take some time to "educate" those who still think Blackberry is 2008 devices...

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 07:59 PM
    The people who bash the classic don't understand how people are still refusing to upgrade from the 9900. It's a matter of addressing commercial realities. Why don't they talk about the innovation on the passport and all the other stuff they are working on? The asset tracking stuff and the genome sequence viewer hasn't been done anywhere. At the end of the day, John Chen only cares about bringing shareholder value and how to go about doing that will involve innovation....may be not the type the tech press expects (i.e. Going from an iPhone 5 to a 6plus)....

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 11:06 PM
    In this thread: People who didn't read the article past the clickbait title. Maybe if people read the whole thing they'd see final take away: "But ultimately the company has two choices: innovate or die. I’m optimistic that they’ll choose the former."
    02-04-15 08:21 AM
    Why don't they talk about the innovation on the passport and all the other stuff they are working on? The asset tracking stuff and the genome sequence viewer hasn't been done anywhere.
    All of those things have been reported on in the press - but they haven't moved the needle when it comes to BB's #1 mission: selling phones.

The innovations you listed are only relevant for a relatively small number of people, which is another reason they don't get a lot of extra coverage. Apple, Google, and Microsoft are putting out products and features and innovations that have mass appeal - millions, even billions of people care about those things.

How many people care about genome sequencing on a regular basis? What percentage of smartphone users are using a hardware keyboard? How many other asset tracking systems exist? Answer those questions, and you'll know why BB doesn't get tons of press.
    deda1002 and JeepBB like this.
    02-04-15 12:07 PM
    Please don't give links to bashing articles. It gives them more reason to post them. The Glob and Fail is becoming synonymous with BlackBerry bashing.

Posted via CB10
    OK. From now on only articles that praise BlackBerry. We can ignore anything that is negative because it's all a big conspiracy against BlackBerry. BlackBerry is perfect and anyone that suggest otherwise should be summarily executed!

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-04-15 12:45 PM
    OK. From now on only articles that praise BlackBerry. We can ignore anything that is negative because it's all a big conspiracy against BlackBerry. BlackBerry is perfect and anyone that suggest otherwise should be summarily executed!

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    It's going to get awful quite in here.....
    02-04-15 03:24 PM
    I was using the Iphone for the past few years. Dumped it and got a BLACKBERRY Q10. Everything works so much better that I can say
    "Iphone for teenagers and BLACKBERRY for adults".
    If I had myself positioned heavily in APPLE stock, would probably be bad mouthing all others and put up with a "kiddy" phone.
    02-04-15 05:56 PM
    I think the article raises an interesting dilemma for Chen - does he continue to develop new and innovative products to remain relevant as Heins did (BB10, hub, Passport etc), despite Heins often being viewed as a failure, or does he continue on the path of looking backwards (Classic, enterprise etc), and which path ultimately will bring more success?

It is my strong hope that he'll do both, and not sacrifice innovation. I will be very interested to see what the next major device from BlackBerry will be, and whether we see (longer term) a follow up to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 12:19 AM
    But one idea is all it takes. As long as that idea is meaningfully unique, it can be communicated and be commercialized in an efficient manner – without taking on a great deal of risk – then it has a great chance of restarting BlackBerry’s business growth curve.

BlackBerry can continue to ride it out selling products that brought them to the dance initially, or they can take control of their company’s future and generate innovations for their corporate clients that they cannot live without.
    Too be honest... BES12, BLEND, BBM PROTECT, BBM MEETINGS.... all seem to be a suite of products that should have great appeal in the corporate world. Tied in with the security aspects of the platform, it should be a no brainer!

But unfortunately (and very frustrating for Chen), APPS also seem to have a lot of appeal in the corporate world.... and while many here are enjoying the bypasses that SNAP and Colbalt's "ways" of getting Android Apps allow us for now. That isn't a solution for the enterprise world.

Innovation without meeting the needs of your customers... is wasted.
    02-05-15 08:18 AM
    Every company has there issues...let's not forget apple back in 97 being bailed out by microsoft....also samsung android and ios operating systems when they first came out, they all had problems....so Mr media backoff from BlackBerry let them do there job they will be fine kudos to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    When did this become about anyone other than BlackBerry? Also, why is the default response to criticism about BlackBerry always comments detailing issues that other companies may have faced in the past? I've never understood the need for the "But...but (insert company name here) has had problems, too!" comments. And why would or should the media "back off" of BlackBerry if or when they deserve criticism?
    02-05-15 09:11 AM
    I think unfortunatly that public perception is more closely tied to their success than any innovation. Take a look at the passport keyboard, wow, and yet people are like Ehh. I guess we will see as time goes by.
    02-05-15 09:22 AM
    I think unfortunatly that public perception is more closely tied to their success than any innovation. Take a look at the passport keyboard, wow, and yet people are like Ehh. I guess we will see as time goes by.
    Yes but the issue is most of the people going "Ehh" are now using Virtual keyboards on a daily basis, so improved functionality in something they don't want to use anymore is kind of useless. I switched from a PKB BlackBerry to BlackBerry's Z10 at launch and now I'm on a Z30, I view the Passports keyboard the same, useless for I want now in a smartphone. I see the Visa concept and I'm thinking the same thing. I don't need or want a PKB, a trackpad, or physical call/end buttons, so nothing about the Passport or Classic launches interests me one bit. Release a new, high end all touch, and I'll be interested.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:38 AM
134 123 ...