The iphone and BB are two drastically different types of phones. The iPhone is an entertainment portal. Lets think this through logically....iPhone, made by Apple. Apple computers, entertainment driven devices only. That's what you do not see ibooks, imacs, or whatever they want to call it in a professional world.

BB on the other had is a professional business directed phone, with personal touches of twitter,facebook, myspace and all that. Yes the iPhone has those too, but where is the business dynamics of it?

The fact is the BB is going to be around for a long long time and companies need to stop trying to "kill" the iPhone because it's not going to happen until the fad runs out.
    02-18-09 06:15 AM
    You cant say the iPhone is a completely different phone when the BB Storm was made to directly compete with the iPhone
    02-18-09 06:21 AM
    It's the built in corporate users that keep BlackBerry going and keep their devices and OS's behind the times. No IT person is want's to deal with a million "I can't view Youtube" or "Facebook isn't working" questions.

It's only in the last 18 months since the Curve came out and really the the last 9 months since reliable OS 4.5 beta's came out that the BB has moved into the entertainment end of things. But, while the latest OS and devices can support these things, they are still not being marketed to the younger "get a new phone every year" crowd.

Until Apple or another non-carrier entity breaks in big to the corporate market, BB will continue as it is. It's not likely to happen. Good, bad or otherwise, RIM has become the Microsoft of smartphones. Last fall Apple ran commercials about being able to get corporate email (via MS Exchange Server) on the iPhone. BFD!, and I haven't seen the commercials since.

Overall BB is a good compromise for many things, and I can get past the shortcomings that others have mentioned. I think the devices are well made, and the support is both on RIM's website and from CB and other BB forums is great.

The model for RIM going forward is to split into an entertainment wing and a Corporate wing. For instance, there can be the corporate and entertainment versions of the Curve and OS. Some devices can just be entertainment such as the Storm and some for Corporate such as the 7xxx series.

Hassesie:
    I don't think the Storm was made to directly compete. There are many touch screen devices out there. Given the problems I seen people post about the Storm and those who have gone from the Storm back to their previous device, I think the Storm at this point is just a throw away to get or keep people focused on BB.
    Last edited by wnm; 02-18-09 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Storm Comment
    02-18-09 07:00 AM
    Haha wow, what a funny question. Dude, RIM was the first PDA phone ever, they've had a huge head start, and they have the most users right now in the U.S. with what... 19 million? iPhone and Treo don't have that many. Unless RIM starts getting lazy, they'll remain #1 PDA phone maker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 07:43 AM
    I don't even like the Storm, but if I had to choose between the Storm and the Iphone I would totally go with the Storm. Storm has better capabilities than the iphone!

But I love my curve! And I will until the bold or 8900 comes out to Verizon!
    02-18-09 07:47 AM
    Sure they have to worry but I don't think they have to worry too much. I don't like the iPhone a bit. I do like Palms, though I haven't had one for several years. The things I think BBs do better are more important than the things I think Palms do better. I do agree that RIM needs to better its OS, though.
    02-18-09 08:43 AM
    The iphone and BB are two drastically different types of phones. The iPhone is an entertainment portal. Lets think this through logically....iPhone, made by Apple. Apple computers, entertainment driven devices only. That's what you do not see ibooks, imacs, or whatever they want to call it in a professional world.

BB on the other had is a professional business directed phone, with personal touches of twitter,facebook, myspace and all that. Yes the iPhone has those too, but where is the business dynamics of it?

The fact is the BB is going to be around for a long long time and companies need to stop trying to "kill" the iPhone because it's not going to happen until the fad runs out.
    all very true, my gf has an iphone (which i pay for, may i add!) and i have a BB....very simple reason for this is that both devices do what WE want them to do - i have instant email and a qwerty keyboard and she wants an mp3 player and a fashion statement.

it's as easy as that!
    02-18-09 09:13 AM
    Sigh. What's all this talk of an unstable OS and having to pull batteries all the time and all that rot? Maybe true for some people but my Curve has been more stable than my trusty old WinXP laptop, and since September I've pulled the battery exactly once, and then only out of curiosity. I upgraded the OS once to get HTML e-mail and a video recorder, and since then because I'm a geek.

And one of my golfing buddies got a Storm (instead of an iPhone) and has had pretty much zero problems with it.

Talk about silly generalizations based on a few outliers.
    02-18-09 09:18 AM
    No IRDA. Really? in 2009?
    Am I missing something here? I didn't realize the iPhone had IRDA. I'm not even sure what I'd use IRDA for...that seems so 90s. I'll take a bluetooth printer any day. The Blackberry does have some work to do, 5.0 will help. But come on, the iPhone can't natively cut and paste. How long has the Blackberry been able to do that? I think Wordstar could do that back in 1982. Whenever I respond to an email on my Touch it throws me when I don't see the reply arrow in Outlook. It's little things, but its the whole experience.

As for the Pre, I'm not even sure it will work in our environment. We use a GoDaddy SSL cert, and PalmOS at least won't work. They say because they don't support that type of SSL cert, even on a Centro, yet Windows Mobile 5 works. Maybe WebOS will.
    02-18-09 09:26 AM
    It seems that the recent trend for Blackberry has been showing RIM targeting the consumer side of the phone/pda market. Most hardcore users know that Blackberry has been a fixture in the business community for years but until recent, they have made a strong move into picking up some of the consumer market. Just look at their most recent advertising campaign.
    As the cellular network infrastructure improves to 4g and 5g over the next 10 years or so, these devices will become so mainstream that the days of just having a "cell phone" will be long gone just like the basic corded home telephone has become a relic of sorts.
    I think this says it all along with Amazingly Graceless' comment about the competition aspect. Now that RIM his recognizing the consumer market......more 3rd party apps are being developed and RIM is upgrading its OS software to address the needs of consumers as well as business'. BB's are only going to get better! I never would have considered having one a year or so ago, now I am pretty much connected to it day and night. Its sure a lot lighter than my laptop

~Jazzi~

02-18-09 09:27 AM
    Yes RIM and the BB's will be around for a long time mainly due to the fact that was stated earlier: They are the best device for the corp world.

And with most BES setups (especially with IT policies in place) you cannot browse YouTube and the like due to corp filter policies.

And just an FYI most of the apps for the Iphone are 3rd party apps also. Yes you download them thru Itunes but they are built by someone else and Apple will either buy them from the developer or take a cut of the profits for them.

I too have not had any problems with my BB and I am constantly working on it doing either software updates or OS updates or just tearing it apart.

Iphone= Icandy
    Blackberry= Business
    02-18-09 09:34 AM
    Compared to what I've used before, I'm finding the BlackBerry OS to be quite advanced.

Sure, it's not as flashy to watch as something like TouchFlo 3D, but this seems to be the fashion at the moment. WebOS looks great, and the ideas behind it are pushing the envelopes of usability, but at the same time, how hateful is the thought of actually opening the web browser and then typing in your search.

The smartphone is rapidly catching up with the computer - we are seeing all kinds of devices which claim to be powerful (Nokia appear to confuse storage capacity with power, oddly enough), and the truth of the matter is that they are then shoving hefty memory intensive UI onto them, so that they don't actually run any quicker. Devices like the new Toshiba TG01 are all well and good, but the phone itself has no need to run such HD video unless attached to a HDTV - the so called power is being wasted on things that won't be used, or animations that do nothing more than please the eye. Most of the things that these devices do that are actually smartphone related, the BB does anyway.
    02-18-09 09:42 AM
    It makes me laugh when people exalt the "stability" of the iPhone. These people are usually major fanboys or just bought the thing with 2.2 installed. The 2.0 firmware was unstable to the point of unuseable. Safari would crash constantly, the phone would lock up etc. It still doesn't have push notification (promised by apple to debut in sept 08). It can't multitask. It can't do basic cell phone stuff let alone smart phone stuff.

As far as hybrid OS's, I agree that's ridiculous that we would have to play around that much to obtain an OS that is stable. At least we can do that though.. you gotta actually hack into the iPhone to change anything in it. Now Jailbreaking is considered not only a breach in the contract, but illegal (copyright infringement). This is a thing that you bought with your own money. I mean I had to use open ssh to put files into a phone that I bought again with my own money. Does that make any sense?
    02-18-09 11:22 AM
    i can't think of a phone that can do what my bold can do.

i can drive turn by turn with voice gps,

listen to music (even internet radio) and get a msn message

then bring up a crackberry post I was typing a few hours ago

and then send a photo i just took through bbm and it transfers in a flash.

and then also upload it to my server through ftp o_O

the list can go on and on.
    02-18-09 12:12 PM
    All i ask is that, please dont mute my slacker to give me a new e-mail notice just play it at the same time my storm will tide me over untill 8900 comes to verizon..
    02-18-09 12:31 PM
    Um, are Palms even competing? I've have not actually seen an individual with a Palm device in a long time... not for business or personal use. And not very many companies are turning to iPhones as a means to conduct business... BlackBerry obviously still dominates the business world, not to mention MY personal life
    02-18-09 12:39 PM
    RIM just announced its 50 minllionth sale so I guess that they must be doing something right.

Comparisons with the iPhone are, imo, invalid. The BlackBerry is a true smartphone whilst the iPhone is a feature phone with a fantastic browser.

RIM makes a full line of phones small, large, 2G, 3G, mini-keypad, full keyboard, touchscreen, flip-phone. All BlackBerrys work pretty much the same. Apple has one single phone.

If RIM made a killer browser, the fight would be over.
    02-18-09 12:45 PM
    It all comes all up to us. Does it do what we need? Then it is good.
    02-18-09 01:15 PM
    1. I hate the iPhone
    2. who starts a thread degrading a blackberry on crackberry.com? haha
    02-18-09 02:31 PM
    RIM just announced its 50 minllionth sale so I guess that they must be doing something right.

Comparisons with the iPhone are, imo, invalid. The BlackBerry is a true smartphone whilst the iPhone is a feature phone with a fantastic browser.

RIM makes a full line of phones small, large, 2G, 3G, mini-keypad, full keyboard, touchscreen, flip-phone. All BlackBerrys work pretty much the same. Apple has one single phone.

If RIM made a killer browser, the fight would be over.
    News Flash:

Millions of iPhone users found dead. Competitors new web browser thought to be culprit.
    02-18-09 03:04 PM
    News Flash:

Millions of iPhone users found dead. Competitors new web browser thought to be culprit.
    Errr, I actually meant a browser for the Blackberry not, a killer browser for the iPhone. However......
    02-18-09 03:38 PM
    Errr, I actually meant a browser for the Blackberry not, a killer browser for the iPhone. However......
    Well one can always hope.
    02-18-09 05:12 PM
    I dont understand why people try to say that the iPhone isnt a business phone. Its just as business capable as a BlackBerry if not more.
    02-18-09 05:33 PM
    If you consider, your competation with a BlackBerry will have the information and have already acted on it, before you get around to checking your iPhone mail.

There is a clear winner and loser.
    02-18-09 05:37 PM
    not to be mean but can someone translate that for me?
    thanks?
    02-18-09 05:51 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD