With phones like the iPhone and the Palm Pre can BlackBerry and their dated OS compete?
    02-17-09 10:33 PM
    Heh, are you serious?
    02-17-09 10:36 PM
    completely. how can the BlackBerry compete, i dont see any advantages.
    02-17-09 10:38 PM
    SD, I saw some folks seeking weed themes here, could be related, hmmmm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think BlackBerry has been doing pretty good against iPhone so far. Only time will tell with the Pre
    I have tried both of them phones and while blackberries are not perfect by any means MINE fits ME perfectly and I prefer my bb over both, when/if that day comes when it cant I will move on......People who own them when they are not fitting their lifestyles are what baffle me. My sister carries an Iphone since they are "in" for her age group, yet she cant stand the phone?
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-17-09 at 10:43 PM.
    02-17-09 10:39 PM

Haha probably is related!!
    02-17-09 10:42 PM
    completely. how can the BlackBerry compete, i dont see any advantages.
    Why do you have a Storm then?

Tell you what sell me your Storm and you can jump ship for some other phone.
    02-17-09 10:43 PM
    I think BlackBerry has been doing pretty good against iPhone so far. Only time will tell with the Pre
    I agree about the IPhone, but I am so hoping the Pre kicks the crap out of
    the BB. Maybe then their development people will get off their duffs and
    design a phone that is not stuck in 1994.
    02-17-09 10:45 PM
    It seems that the recent trend for Blackberry has been showing RIM targeting the consumer side of the phone/pda market. Most hardcore users know that Blackberry has been a fixture in the business community for years but until recent, they have made a strong move into picking up some of the consumer market. Just look at their most recent advertising campaign.
    As the cellular network infrastructure improves to 4g and 5g over the next 10 years or so, these devices will become so mainstream that the days of just having a "cell phone" will be long gone just like the basic corded home telephone has become a relic of sorts.
    02-17-09 10:49 PM

hahah might be some relation there indeed
    02-17-09 10:55 PM
    The blackberry can definitely compete IMO. I'm not even a bb user yet, and I see no reason why RIM and BB would lose faith.
    02-17-09 11:10 PM
    Well said gagan

02-17-09 11:15 PM
    I slightly agree in a way. BB OS does need a refresh, something outside the box, or its going to become the next Palm OS. Maybe its time RIM look past java to linux or another platform. But saying that, BB OS is easy to use and stable which is why its an essential in the business world (besides BES).

The Pre wont come close to killing BB. Not even a dent, were talking Palm here and not in the treo 600/650 day either. They have lost most of their customer base, and the Pre will still be a niche product. It will sell decently well, but wont be the next iphone nor overtake RIM.
    02-17-09 11:21 PM
    02-17-09 11:21 PM
    I wish the Pre were coming to Verizon.
    02-17-09 11:25 PM
    All the iphone has on the BB is a bunch of usless apps like magic 8ball and a "where should I eat" app.
    The BB is more of a usefull phone. Yes there are some stupid apps out there for the storm but you can use it for everything that you need in life and to pass time as well. Top that off with a solid os and a BB messenger and you have my heart

02-17-09 11:40 PM
    Sigh. I love when people here make stupid generalizations about the iPhone and its apps. There are a lot of stupid apps, but there are plenty of apps that are very useful. At least it works, and people aren't having to make hybrid OSs to make it run well.
    02-17-09 11:45 PM
    In all honesty, I don't think anyone is gonna come near RIM for Corporate Email Service. Remember guys thats where they started, so remember thats where their clients were and thats who they marketed to. Their clients didn't care about cameras, or other gimicks, they cared about recieving their email instantaneously and being able to respond wherever and whenever. Thats where RIM started.

I believe they have gone a long way in trying to diversify, and its easy for apple to come out and put out a "fun" device. They had no clients to keep happy.

But RIM has corporate clients that need to be taken care of and now they have the new consumer market also.

It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here, yes their software could use some work, but in all reality it does what its supposed to and onlything it really falls short on is browsing experience and "FUN" Apps other than that iPhone has nothing on it.
    02-17-09 11:49 PM
    Dated os? Lol 4.6 and 4.7 are updated a bit and work fine for me. I tried palm and had iphone and honestly the iphone is the worst thing I've ever used! Plain and simple berry dominates the game!

02-17-09 11:52 PM
    Sigh. I love when people here make stupid generalizations about the iPhone and its apps.
    What I love even more are the folks who drank the BB Kool-Aid and are
    somehow convinced that it is the greatest device ever. The BB works very well
    for my needs but I am under no illusion that it is the "perfect and untouchable"
    device.

The OS is as stale as last years bread and RIM seems to have no interest in
    improving it.

Some of the simplest things on a BB require a 3rd party app. VibandRing, Opera
    Mini, Bolt Browser, Slacker, and on and on.

Even with the new devices, memory is truly horrendous.

No IRDA. Really? in 2009?

Unable to STORE AND RUN applications from the memory card. I had an
    Audiovox Maestro that did that 9 years ago.

Maybe if RIM focused less on turning out eye candy for the consumer
    market and actually worked on the OS and turning out the device that
    we all know is possible, they would not be where they are in worldwide
    smartphone marketshare. Just an idea. .:rant off:.
    02-18-09 12:04 AM
    Sigh. I love when people here make stupid generalizations about the iPhone and its apps. There are a lot of stupid apps, but there are plenty of apps that are very useful. At least it works, and people aren't having to make hybrid OSs to make it run well.
    Right, because "jailbreaking" your phone is how it's meant to be used...

The Blackberry is nowhere near its end, but I agree that RIM needs to step up in the software department. Not that the OS is bad, but we all know that there are some things about it that are a bit dated or just don't make sense.
    02-18-09 12:04 AM
    With phones like the iPhone and the Palm Pre can BlackBerry and their dated OS compete?
    Really? The iphone has been out for like 2 years and RIM is as strong as ever. As for the Pre, I really don't think that there is anything for RIM to worry about, if anything it will push the next evolution of the RIM OS.
    02-18-09 12:07 AM
    In all honesty, I don't think anyone is gonna come near RIM for Corporate Email Service. Remember guys thats where they started, so remember thats where their clients were and thats who they marketed to. Their clients didn't care about cameras, or other gimicks, they cared about recieving their email instantaneously and being able to respond wherever and whenever. Thats where RIM started.

I believe they have gone a long way in trying to diversify, and its easy for apple to come out and put out a "fun" device. They had no clients to keep happy.

But RIM has corporate clients that need to be taken care of and now they have the new consumer market also.

It's going to be interesting to see where they go from here, yes their software could use some work, but in all reality it does what its supposed to and onlything it really falls short on is browsing experience and "FUN" Apps other than that iPhone has nothing on it.
    You make a very good point. RIM is just really getting going on the the whole consumer phone trend. Give them a couple more OS cycles and I think things will get even better.
    02-18-09 12:11 AM
    RIM needs to get off their asses and make an OS that is stable. I feel most BB users have accepted that their devices will lock up and they have to battery pull. I dont understand how this is acceptable in anyway. The software on the Storm is a complete failure. RIM had years to design it and failed miserably. The constant leaking of new versions of the OS is also a joke. If RIM wants to make a useable and efficient phone they need to scrap this OS that was made for use with a trackball and design one thats solid and doesnt have horrible memory leaks.
    02-18-09 05:56 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD