At the end of the day, is there any other messaging app available that shows when someone is typing a message, delivered and read receipts? I don't think so but would love to be wrong.
    Literally, almost every messaging app has these features. WhatsApp has had this for as long as I can remember.
    dh321 likes this.
    05-18-19 08:02 AM
    I should have clarified my message. Are there options that are not owned by Facebook or Apple? I installed Telegram at one point, but my version on android didn't give me that functionality. It may have been no one I was texting with had it installed, in not sure. I thought I had understood Google was bringing that to the stock messages text app but I haven't seen that either.
    05-18-19 08:06 AM
    I should have clarified my message. Are there options that are not owned by Facebook or Apple? I installed Telegram at one point, but my version on android didn't give me that functionality. It may have been no one I was texting with had it installed, in not sure. I thought I had understood Google was bringing that to the stock messages text app but I haven't seen that either.
    Telegram, Threema, and Signal have this. So do Line and Viber.
    05-18-19 08:40 AM
    ...not to forget BBMe !!!
    05-18-19 10:24 AM
    At the end of the day, is there any other messaging app available that shows when someone is typing a message, delivered and read receipts? I don't think so but would love to be wrong.
    Pretty sure that’s a common feature in 2019 and earlier
    05-18-19 10:26 AM
    I thought I had understood Google was bringing that to the stock messages text app but I haven't seen that either.
    Google got together with manufacturers and carriers to get a standardized profile for the new RCS messaging standard (which is intended to replace SMS/MMS), and now there is a Universal Profile, and carriers are starting to roll it out, but that rollout is still in progress. Being a carrier-based service, it can't be just turned on for everyone overnight.
    05-18-19 07:24 PM
    Google got together with manufacturers and carriers to get a standardized profile for the new RCS messaging standard (which is intended to replace SMS/MMS), and now there is a Universal Profile, and carriers are starting to roll it out, but that rollout is still in progress. Being a carrier-based service, it can't be just turned on for everyone overnight.
    This plus it has to be Messages, right? I don't think just any SMS app will work. I remember reading about that but maybe I'm wrong or something's changed.

Freedom has rolled it out but I haven't seen it working yet.
    Last edited by Shifty88; 05-23-19 at 08:27 AM.
    05-23-19 08:15 AM
    I think there are other RCS clients in the works, but for now I think Messages is it. It's going to take time to roll all of that out and get any new apps certified, etc. Things move much more slowly when all those carriers are involved.
    05-23-19 01:19 PM
    Verizon's Messaging SMS/MMS app has had that feature for a while... if you are texting other Verizon users that are using their app. Main reason I use their app.

But looking forward to RCS being implemented, as texting is still my main personal messaging tool. Work Slack is great, but only which those it's connected too.
    05-23-19 02:10 PM
159 ... 567