With the upcoming financial end-of-quarter announcements this Friday, I can't help but feel dread about the news and future of BBRY. Am I just a pessimist?

BPWiebe on the super smooth Z10.
    03-21-15 05:10 PM
    With the upcoming financial end-of-quarter announcements this Friday, I can't help but feel dread about the news and future of BBRY. Am I just a pessimist?
    Seems pretty melodramatic to me. By no means is it smooth sailing, but I'm not worried about them putting up the "liquidation sale" sign on the door tomorrow either.
    CDM76, bungaboy and diegonei like this.
    03-21-15 05:14 PM
    Let the cards fall where they should. John Chen has forecasted lower revenue but higher profit. In the company's transitional l phase it has been rocky yet many positive indicators pointing to success.

The actual quarter to look forward to is the next one.

Sexy White Z30
    CDM76 and bungaboy like this.
    03-21-15 05:23 PM
    The actual quarter to look forward to is the next one.
    For as long as I can remember, people here have been saying the *next* quarter is the one to look forward to... it's almost become a BB/CB catchphrase, like "coming soon"
    03-21-15 05:29 PM
    For as long as I can remember, people here have been saying the *next* quarter is the one to look forward to... it's almost become a BB/CB catchphrase, like "coming soon"
    For as long as I've been coming to CB there have been people stating "the end is near". Three years later and seven devices, an OS, at least eight OS updates, a couple acquisitions and three Billion in the bank later....BlackBerry is still here.

Classically Posted.
    03-21-15 06:34 PM
    For as long as I've been coming to CB there have been people stating "the end is near". Three years later and seven devices, an OS, at least eight OS updates, a couple acquisitions and three Billion in the bank later....BlackBerry is still here.

Classically Posted.
    True. But there have been just as many that said "this is when BB come back". BB 10.2.1 was supposed to be the savior of BB and bring in the masses. Then 10.3, then the classic will bring in the one who want a "normal" BB.

I just don't buy it anymore. BB will not dissapear anytime soon, but it will continue with the same trend with under 1% market share.
    03-21-15 06:43 PM
    I expect miserable BB10 device sales numbers. Nothing much for existing BB10 end users to buy. Wonder when this awesome PKB focus will pan out for them?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-21-15 06:50 PM
    How can they have good sales when none of the carriers even have any products?

ATT has US exclusive for Passport, yet one week after release the corporate store did not have and Passports OR Classics on display when I went to check them out. This wasn't a kiosk or franchised store, but the big corporate location.

Hard to sell when your inventory is zero.
    03-21-15 06:58 PM
    Its the end of BB as a significant player in device manufacture. Any hope of that will be dashed in this ER. But BB as a company will continue and flourish but as a software/services provider that also makes a few devices to support that focus.
    03-21-15 06:58 PM
    True, and I have been one of them(with my novice market knowledge) , and I repeat it again for this quarter, but this quarter has even more significance; this is the first real quarter for Chen (last year he'd only just joined) showing sales over what for most businesses is the busiest quarter, secondly hopefully we'll get a proper figure for Passport sales which for me will show how many people are still willing to take a risk on BlackBerry (new kind of device), and a few other reasons,

Now regardless of what the quarter shows, Chen made it clear from the beginning that no-one should expect to see amazing results, he played expectations low (think he said 2/3 years just to profitability) quarters since have shown them on track (if not slightly better) than expected given that timeline which is good news.

So in one sense it's a very important quarter because BlackBerry needs to show progress, but on the other hand it's not so important because some changes are still taking effect ( BES free trials (easypass or something) have recently ended so future quarters should show growing services revenue (not even counting the monetisations of BBM and other service-based partnerships of BlackBerry + subsidiaries)

And in other sense, they don't really matter because there's still a year to go on the given timeline before we should start getting really excited..

Jmho

Check Out TechCraze
    03-21-15 07:13 PM
    We're three years in...

PlayBook release date 2012
    BlackBerry 10 release date 2013
    Current time 2015

By comparison...

Apple takes Microsoft money 1997
    Apple releases iPod compatible with PC's 2002
    iPhone released 2007
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-21-15 07:18 PM
    We're three years in...

PlayBook release date 2012
    BlackBerry 10 release date 2013
    Current time 2015

By comparison...

Apple takes Microsoft money 1997
    Apple releases iPod compatible with PC's 2002
    iPhone released 2007
    I like your thinking, but the smartphone market as a whole as grown exponentially, and markets in general have become faster and more volatile, therefore companies should be moving faster now, (isn't rate for new phone for the big guys like every 6 months?)

Check Out TechCraze
    03-21-15 07:23 PM
    I like your thinking, but the smartphone market as a whole as grown exponentially, and markets in general have become faster and more volatile, therefore companies should be moving faster now, (isn't rate for new phone for the big guys like every 6 months?)
    My comment was to illustrate that company rebirths don't happen overnight and hit products don't happen overnight either. Every year we've had fans say that "this is the year", but the time frame has been too short, too unrealistic.

Side commentary:

I'm sure Apple fans had been saying "this is the year" since 1997 and then they saw the iPod in 2002. It's a win for Apple, but imagine how bummed the Mac users were. Even with the iPhone, the original fans, the Apple computer hardware users, were probably bummed. Maybe the rebirth of BlackBerry will involve some new product that current BlackBerry fans could care less about.
    tinochiko and bungaboy like this.
    03-21-15 07:38 PM

Classically Posted.
    The difference between the "this is the end" and "Blackberry will become the new Apple" crew is that Blackberry's hardware division continues to deteriorate each quarter while there is absolutely no evidence to believe that a turnaround is coming.

Hence the Blackberry fanbase (as well as userbase) that trickle away each passing quarter and the continued and increasing speculation from practically everybody outside Crackberry aware of Blackberry's situation that some major changes will be coming to the hardware division.

Anyway, I'm not especially inclined to think that a major announcement will be made in the earnings report; though, I do think that hardware revenue will plummet once again as the Passport and Classic do not appear to have a fraction of the popularity as the aging Z10 and Q10 did.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-21-15 at 07:54 PM.
    JeepBB, TGR1 and techvisor like this.
    03-21-15 07:41 PM
    I think BlackBerry will surprise analysts again...

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 07:49 PM
    I think if BlackBerry will bring end-to-end encryption to all like apple does with imessage and S/MIME then BlackBerry has a fighting chance.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:00 PM
    The difference between the "this is the end" and "Blackberry will become the new Apple" crew is that Blackberry's hardware division continues to deteriorate each quarter while there is absolutely no evidence to believe that a turnaround is coming.

Hence the Blackberry fanbase (as well as userbase) that trickle away each passing quarter and the continued and increasing speculation from practically everybody outside Crackberry aware of Blackberry's situation that some major changes will be coming to the hardware division.

Anyway, I'm not especially inclined to think that a major announcement will be made in the earnings report; though, I do think that hardware revenue will plummet once again as the Passport and Classic do not appear to have a fraction of the popularity as the aging Z10 and Q10 did.
    Except for the fact the vast majority of press concerning BlackBerry devices the past three quarters is positive. You'd never know that reading some of the usual suspects here but it's true.
    The OS has matured very well, BES 12 launching, QNX dominates connected cars, Secusmart moving quickly to secure high end clients, Paratech gives BlackBerry devices the best radio reception in the market...the list continues and that's just the last 36 months.
    BlackBerry isn't going anywhere.

Classically Posted.
    Jrox74, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    03-21-15 08:03 PM
    Yep, it's the end. Prepare yourself accordingly.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    03-21-15 08:03 PM

can you explain, how you come to this conclusion?
    Company increased cash last quarter, got non-gaap profit, stopped burning cash...
    and launches new devices and products.

so. how?
    acovey, bungaboy, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    03-21-15 08:04 PM
    How can they have good sales when none of the carriers even have any products?

ATT has US exclusive for Passport, yet one week after release the corporate store did not have and Passports OR Classics on display when I went to check them out. This wasn't a kiosk or franchised store, but the big corporate location.

Hard to sell when your inventory is zero.
    1) hardware will be less than 40% revenue.
    2) USA is not the biggest BBR's consumer market
    3) BBRY not targeted in consumer market.
    bungaboy, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    03-21-15 08:06 PM
    It should be an interesting event.

Not sure that the numbers will be on the upside but just as long as the base does not show any erosion...
    Let's see what happens on the 26,
    03-21-15 08:13 PM
    With 3 billion plus in cash reserves as of last quarter. I highly doubt the "end is near"! As long as BB does not hare massive write downs and do not start burning cash then they are good for the next 2 or 3 quarters.. by that time you will see if Chen's strategy is working. If you are a short term investor in BB it could very well be bad for you. Although at the rate the analysts are driving down the stock... might not be as bad as many think...
    bungaboy, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    03-21-15 08:39 PM
    Its been a hell of a ride.

03-21-15 08:52 PM

Classically Posted.
    Shhh, they don't want to hear that. "Truth" mongers use windows, not mirrors.
    03-21-15 09:20 PM

Yes you are a pessimist, do you read tea leaves as well
    rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    03-21-15 09:30 PM
80 123 ...