Hi,

I have activated encryption on my BB, and am wondering is it supposed to take over 2 hours for the initial encryption to complete? I locked the screen, and locked the keyboard, and now, my BB is so bogged down by doing the initial encryption that I can't even unlock the keypad. If I hit a button the backlight will light up, but if I hit the mute key, it won't unlock the keypad. Also, it still is notifying me of new tweets, so that isn't frozen. But my big question is it supposed to be taking this long for the initial encryption. The spinning clock comes up every few seconds, so it is not frozen. Also, it appears that there is another message behind the keypad is locked message. What could this message be? I told it to encrypt everything, including the media card with the strongest encryption setting, and use both the password, and device key.
    01-14-12 01:16 AM
    I told it to encrypt everything, including the media card with the strongest encryption setting, and use both the password, and device key.
    Do not encrypt the media card, as it will significantly slow the phone. Just use encryption for everything else except the media card and your phone will be fine.
    01-14-12 01:32 AM
    Do not encrypt the media card, as it will significantly slow the phone. Just use encryption for everything else except the media card and your phone will be fine.
    I would like to encrypt pictures and videos as will as everything else, and those get saved to my media card.
    01-14-12 01:48 AM
    I did a hard reboot, and then maybe a half hour after that it finished. The speed doesn't seem to have been affected much. I just noticed that BB Protect doesn't work though, is that just the backup, or every feature about it? Also, why don't they allow us to use Protect once we have unlocked the device, at least why not have it backup once the device is unlocked?
    01-14-12 04:04 AM
    Protect won't work when content protection is enabled on the device. It does work when content protection is enabled only on the media card. I didn't test, but I assume the features from the website will not work as well with content protection is enabled on the device.
    01-14-12 10:33 AM
    How much media card data are you encrypting? I have about 300 mb of encrypted files (mostly pictures, some video) and another 125 mb of unencrypted pictures on my media card. That's probably not a lot, but I don't remember the initial encryption took a long time on my os 6 device. But that may be because I had used Desktop Software to transfer all the pics from my pc to the BlackBerry, encrypting them in the process. Now that took a bit of time. So maybe if you already had the data on the card and turned encryption on it might take the same amount of time. I only encrypt personal stuff. The rest (wallpapers and stuff like that) I transfer to my media card using the USB (mass storage mode method). That's really fast. If you want to encrypt, I'd say wait it out, stick with it, and it will be worth it in the end.
    01-14-12 03:59 PM
    So how do you only encrypt certain pictures etc?
    01-14-12 05:48 PM
    I would like to encrypt pictures and videos as will as everything else, and those get saved to my media card.
    If you ever forget the encryption password you will never be able to retrieve the contents of the media card. And wiping the smartphone and re-encrypting will not magically decrypt the media card content with the forgotten old password and re-encrypt with the new password; only the later happens. Unless you have truly confidential and private or restricted content stored on the media card there is no reason to encrypt the media card. Normal users can sign-up for BlackBerry Protect now and test remote device wipe to ensure you can prevent the content of the smartphone from being accessed by unauthorized persons in the event the device is lost or stolen.
    01-14-12 06:00 PM
    So how do you only encrypt certain pictures etc?
    It depends on the way you transfer files from your pc to your BlackBerry. If you use the "Files" feature that's part of BlackBerry Desktop Software 6, the files you transfer between pc and BlackBerry/media card will be encrypted (if encryption is turned on). If you use the USB (mass strage mode) method, the files you transfer from your pc to your BlackBerry/media card will remain unencrypted even if encryption is turned on. Any files you receive, download, etc. over the air (email & im attachments, etc.) will be encrypted when encryption is turned on.
    Last edited by T�nis; 01-14-12 at 06:25 PM.
    monotok likes this.
    01-14-12 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD