Opinions, as we know, are like assholes, everybody has one. And that's fine with me; however this ******** is getting kind of old. I believe the purpose for Chen showing off both new iterations at the same time, even though there are different release dates, was to let buyers know that there is more than one new BlackBerry to choose from. If you don't like one then choose the other. If you have a problem with both, go buy somewhere else. Bottom line, no matter how much you "***** and moan", what's done is done and you are not able to change it.
    JeepBB, Shadowyugi and spikesolie like this.
    06-28-14 07:27 AM
    I'm sorry but after all this hooplah over the passport I have to ask. Why on earth do people think this is a good looking/sexy device!? I am not talking about OS, specs, or even price. Just strictly design and the proportions. The rectangle shape is now the standard for smartphones across the board. Even in the car industry there is standardization. For example with sport sedans, there is a universal proportion and 50/50 weight distribution (audi bmw MB etc..). I understand the concept of "form follows function". But what REVOLUTIONARY function could prompt BlackBerry to make such a grotesque device!? It will NOT sell well. Trust me. I have supported BlackBerry on/off for almost a decade but this is just ridiculous. The fan made concepts in the forums are 1000 times sexier than this passport. I know the BlackBerry faithful (i.e.- crackberry users) will buy this but trust me it will not do well outside of that. Am I missing something here? Somebody please back me up? My Q10 looks better with each new post about the passport. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Basically, I remember seeing the first leaks and I thought "this thing is ugly" but I find that the actual photos give a much better representation of the devices because it is much more polished and sleeker looking (look at the leaked picture from twitter). I am definitely not a BlackBerry fanboy. My first BlackBerry device was a Z10, then I got a playbook, then a storm (just for fun) and currently using a Q10. I will not buy a device for the sake of supporting a company. I am just a regular consumer and buy only what I like or need for my satisfaction. The Passport really appeals to me because of the screen size. I like both keypad and touch devices and the Passport is like the best of both. I don't understand what Blackberry has to gain by conforming to the industry standard. They did that already with the Z10 and Z30. I don't see what is wrong with trying something new. I held my british passport in my hands the other day, so it seems practical but I want to hold the device in my hands before I make any final judgements. That what the hype is about. Because its something new. People are curious.

And please just stop with all this "It will NOT sell" stuff. I don't understand why people think they represent the whole consumer and Enterprise market. Everyone is different and as different views.
    06-28-14 07:30 AM
    I believe it looks better in person than in pictures, but since most people will see it in pictures its design will be a sales inhibitor, but the screen and the odd keyboard are constraints that can't be designed around... adding rounded corners wouldn't fix it.

If you think it is ugly, do you have any suggestions as to what might "fix" it, keeping in mind that the screen and keyboard shape and size ARE the device's defining qualities.
    keypad likes this.
    06-28-14 07:36 AM
    I'm sorry but after all this hooplah over the passport I have to ask. Why on earth do people think this is a good looking/sexy device!? I am not talking about OS, specs, or even price. Just strictly design and the proportions. The rectangle shape is now the standard for smartphones across the board. Even in the car industry there is standardization. For example with sport sedans, there is a universal proportion and 50/50 weight distribution (audi bmw MB etc..). I understand the concept of "form follows function". But what REVOLUTIONARY function could prompt BlackBerry to make such a grotesque device!? It will NOT sell well. Trust me. I have supported BlackBerry on/off for almost a decade but this is just ridiculous. The fan made concepts in the forums are 1000 times sexier than this passport. I know the BlackBerry faithful (i.e.- crackberry users) will buy this but trust me it will not do well outside of that. Am I missing something here? Somebody please back me up? My Q10 looks better with each new post about the passport. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Have you ever wonder some people are ugly as f***, yet they manage to hook up with some good looking mates. Something about beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder thing. If we all have same definition on what's beautiful, we might as well be robots. What turns you on might not do the same for others which is fine as long as you accept the choices of others.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 08:15 AM
    it's incredible how people can debate about the beauty when in the end it truly comes to what a device can do !
    I may represent the minority but i don't care if a phone looks good or not...
    Why on earth a black soap shaped phone would be better looking than a passport form factor?
    How can people go crazy about a phone's "sexiness" when they show them something like that:
    here comes the new iphone/Android/Lumia/Wuauwei/Samsung/Sony/etc.

oh my god...it's so beautiful.... never saw such a beauty....

as long as the Passport isn't ergonomically wrong and absurd like let say... pyramidal ....

i don't care if my neighbour likes it or not... i am sure i will love to use my Passport (phone) and that's what really counts for me....
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 06-28-14 at 09:57 AM.
    06-28-14 08:23 AM
    I think that the heated discussion on this thread and in Bla1ze's article shows that BlackBerry has a winner on its hands. In this case at least, the publicity is a good thing.

BlackBerry is so far behind, it cannot possibly compete with a "me too" phone that looks like all the Androids out there except for the OS (which the average person has no clue about). So they come out with an odd-looking phone and give it a name that puts everything in proper context. It's brilliant, even if it's not for you.

And that's the thing with art, even functional art - it's not for everyone, and that's ok! The Passport is a distinctive piece of electronic art that will also be very functional as a mobile device. It's just what BlackBerry needs to get noticed.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 08:33 AM
    Anybody who says this phone is ugly his wife or girl must be ugly too.
    06-28-14 08:33 AM
    My brother-in-law pulled out his new green iPhone 5C the other day and at first I thought he was holding a children's toy - honestly. When he said it was a 5C it caught me off guard. My gawd - what an ugly little phone!
    06-28-14 08:40 AM
    Thank you for pointing out the comments section, wherein a couple of butthurt exCBers who got banned essentially get told to stop behaving like trolls on a site where they congregated to trash talk CB and posters here and thought theyvcouldnturn it into their own personal playground. That was the funniest thing I've read all week. Sincerely, thank you because that was incredibly entertaining!
    Wow!

Those N4BB comments made me laugh out loud on several occasions. I'm actually amazed that the OP/Editor continued to try and reason with foul-mouthed crazy people. LOL

BTW, I don't reckon the bad-word filter is working at N4BB... not sure I've seen so many uses of the F-word in a single thread before.
    reeneebob likes this.
    06-28-14 08:43 AM
    Actually I like how it looks.. the flat look is appealing, the edge to edge screen is beautiful it's all uniform.. I'm more concerned about the usability than the looks to be honest

Posted via CB10 from my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    06-28-14 08:48 AM
    (Currently not patient enough to read through every post yet.. sorry)

Personally, When the phone was first shown through leaked pictures, It didn't look bad to me but I felt it could have been improved. HOWEVER, when i saw it complete with Chen holding it, it was literally a perfect look to me. That's why I want the phone. I love blackberry but I love tech more. If I wasn't impressed with the design, I would have just kept quiet and opted for a Z30 when my upgrade is due in August.

You are one of the numerous post I've seen commenting on the Passport and it's design and how its a "misstep".

Can everyone just wait till it comes out? Like we have enough amrchair ceos as is.
    06-28-14 08:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    So your argument is "trust me"?

Start with a question: Why is a 16:9 rectangle the industry standard?

When you browse the web, do you typically drag the margin of your browser to a 16:9 rectangle?
    When you read an ebook on a Kindle device, do you usually narrow the margins to a 16:9 rectangle?

When you take or view photographs, is 16:9 your preferred aspect ratio?
    06-28-14 08:50 AM
    Anybody who says this phone is ugly his wife or girl must be ugly too.
    Oh that's an intelligent statement.

I don't like the way the thing looks period. And I don't need to see it in person or see what it can do in order to make that determination. Functionally it might end up being the best device BlackBerry has ever made. I hope it is and I hope it sells like crazy. Even with all that, aesthetically I still think it's ugly and will not be buying it.

Z10
    JeepBB and pystha like this.
    06-28-14 08:55 AM
    Have you ever wonder some people are ugly as f***, yet they manage to hook up with some good looking mates. Something about beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder thing. If we all have same definition on what's beautiful, we might as well be robots. What turns you on might not do the same for others which is fine as long as you accept the choices of others.

Posted via CB10
    LMFAO .... nice analogy... lolll

CAUTION : MAJ On Z30 Now!!!!
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    06-28-14 09:05 AM
    Personally I don't like the Q10! but I like the passport! The passport is different ... and especially for its form!
    06-28-14 09:20 AM
    I have a Q10 which I absolutely worship, lol.
    The Passport looks too big and bulky for me as a phone, but now I'm considering getting it, in addition to my Q10, to use as a mini tablet.
    I don't know, I guess I'll go play with one when it comes out and take it from there.
    What amazes me is the offended posts about it.
    So offing what?
    You don't like it? Don't get it! Move on.
    It's not rocket science, lol.
    keypad likes this.
    06-28-14 09:31 AM
    You sound upset that someone voiced an opinion.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    And you sound like you didn't see how the OP was challenging other people's opinions as fanboyism originally.

Perspective mate

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-28-14 09:31 AM
    And there's no truth in that opinion? I believe many people on here are doing just that. That's OK with me, I understand how they want blackberry to succeed. It's still an opinion which should be allowed.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    An opinion can also be challenged

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 09:32 AM
    It's not about how it looks, but its about the productivity, the keys are touch sensitive and you can rub your fingers on the keyboard to scroll, swipe left to erase and use 2 fingers to select multiple words!

The last 4th missing row will pop up accordingly!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 09:33 AM
    Oh that's an intelligent statement.

I don't like the way the thing looks period. And I don't need to see it in person or see what it can do in order to make that determination. Functionally it might end up being the best device BlackBerry has ever made. I hope it is and I hope it sells like crazy. Even with all that, aesthetically I still think it's ugly and will not be buying it.

Z10
    Cookie?

Posted via CB10
    stanhanks likes this.
    06-28-14 09:37 AM
    Square is good. Perfectly beautiful for Instagram! All my #selfies will now be in SQUARE format. #TheSquareRevolution
    06-28-14 10:20 AM
    So your argument is "trust me"?

Start with a question: Why is a 16:9 rectangle the industry standard?

When you browse the web, do you typically drag the margin of your browser to a 16:9 rectangle?
    When you read an ebook on a Kindle device, do you usually narrow the margins to a 16:9 rectangle?

When you take or view photographs, is 16:9 your preferred aspect ratio?
    Thank you for stating the obvious. If you do a lot of reading on your phone, albeit webpages or PDFs, the 16:9 form factor sucks big time. One is always pinching-to-zoom and moving the page on the screen to read it. We all know its a problem because everyone constantly complains about the need for landscape mode. Of course, the problem with landscape mode is that one can only read a few lines at a time. Blackberry has figured out an innovative way of addressing this issue, make the phone wider. Pushing to a wider phone suggest to me that Blackberry is once again going back to its roots and thinking about basic functionality. The passport is the talk of the town because it addresses a REAL problem that we all implicitly recognize. It is a brilliant move.
    06-28-14 10:21 AM
    Again, opinions of people who don't like the device. Not of people who like the device.

Also, did you know the device is not available yet????

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    Condescending much?

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-28-14 10:26 AM
    Thanks for all comments guys. Here is my final point. Once again to me I'm strictly talking about design/aesthetics. I think when the iphone came out in 2008 things fundamentally changed. By that I mean people increasingly wanted aa device that was very stylish and "sexy" to look at. Like an earlier comment mentioned apple has been universally praised for its industrial design and has been such a design icon (thurston hein's words) that many others have followed (android primarily). So can we all agree that buying a phone now is a much an aesthetic/stylistic choice as a functional one? Of course BlackBerry users in general care more about function. But even amongst crackberry users there is tons of love/hate for particular designs. Alll I'm saying is that the passport is not pleasing to look at. And getting "used" to it or having it "grow" on me doesn't make sense in the current climate of smartphone competition. I'm not saying it has to look EXACTLY like an iphone. But please don't make it radically different either. Haha. That's all. Thanks for listenting...now go enjoy some world cup games! cheers!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 10:27 AM
    100% disagree with your statement. It is factually inaccurate.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    Prove it.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    06-28-14 10:27 AM
688 12345 ...