I'm sorry but after all this hooplah over the passport I have to ask. Why on earth do people think this is a good looking/sexy device!? I am not talking about OS, specs, or even price. Just strictly design and the proportions. The rectangle shape is now the standard for smartphones across the board. Even in the car industry there is standardization. For example with sport sedans, there is a universal proportion and 50/50 weight distribution (audi bmw MB etc..). I understand the concept of "form follows function". But what REVOLUTIONARY function could prompt BlackBerry to make such a grotesque device!? It will NOT sell well. Trust me. I have supported BlackBerry on/off for almost a decade but this is just ridiculous. The fan made concepts in the forums are 1000 times sexier than this passport. I know the BlackBerry faithful (i.e.- crackberry users) will buy this but trust me it will not do well outside of that. Am I missing something here? Somebody please back me up? My Q10 looks better with each new post about the passport. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 12:47 AM
    I agree with you that the passport looks ugly. However, some people like how it looks. To each their own. It's another option and I think we should hold our judgment on the device until we try it out.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:02 AM
    If the Passport was an Android or IPhone version, it would get hammered in the CrackBerry site
    06-28-14 01:04 AM
    If the Passport was an Android or IPhone version, it would get hammered in the CrackBerry site
    Yes! Exactly!!!! Thank you! Honestly BlackBerry should be run by some of the members of Crackberry. You guys understand design and the market better than the execs at BlackBerry. I am all in support of Chen as CEO. But why not make a sexier version of the Q10 or a totally retro Bold with the curved keyboard. Instead we get a square block. To me this is the BlackBerry storm fiasco all over again. And I bought that device on day 1 and promptly returned it. BlackBerry needs a design guru. Like a Jone Ive that apple has. Was this a phone designed by a g-damn committee!?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:12 AM
    There is always a standard before a "revolutionary " change occurs. Things change and it may fill a void millions of consumers have been looking for.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 01:23 AM
    There is always a standard before a "revolutionary " change occurs. Things change and it may fill a void millions of consumers have been looking for.

Posted via CB10
    You may be right. I mean I'm open to all possibilities. But doesn't this make "one handed" use really difficult!?

Posted via CB10
    LuisCast likes this.
    06-28-14 01:32 AM
    I'm sorry but after all this hooplah over the passport I have to ask. Why on earth do people think this is a good looking/sexy device!? I am not talking about OS, specs, or even price. Just strictly design and the proportions. The rectangle shape is now the standard for smartphones across the board. Even in the car industry there is standardization. For example with sport sedans, there is a universal proportion and 50/50 weight distribution (audi bmw MB etc..). I understand the concept of "form follows function". But what REVOLUTIONARY function could prompt BlackBerry to make such a grotesque device!? It will NOT sell well. Trust me. I have supported BlackBerry on/off for almost a decade but this is just ridiculous. The fan made concepts in the forums are 1000 times sexier than this passport. I know the BlackBerry faithful (i.e.- crackberry users) will buy this but trust me it will not do well outside of that. Am I missing something here? Somebody please back me up? My Q10 looks better with each new post about the passport. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    Quite simply, because it appeals to their taste. Are you done now?

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.3139
    06-28-14 01:33 AM
    Quite simply, because it appeals to their taste. Are you done now?

Not yet. Here is a better written opinion piece. Also make sure to check the comments below: http://n4bb.com/hope-im-wrong-blackb...sport/?paged=2

Posted via CB10
    arnavrs and ladeberry like this.
    06-28-14 01:41 AM
    Not yet. Here is a better written opinion piece. Also make sure to check the comments below: http://n4bb.com/hope-im-wrong-blackb...sport/?paged=2

Posted via CB10
    Again, opinions of people who don't like the device. Not of people who like the device.

Also, did you know the device is not available yet????

06-28-14 01:44 AM
    I'm sure people who don't like the device designs are not the vocal majority while the people who do are. Personally if I don't like something like a new device, I'd rather not voice my opinions. If I actually had the device and had an educated opinion on it the other hand...

CB10 on the Q10
    06-28-14 01:52 AM
    Kevin M. From crackberry once said the BlackBerry 9900 bold was one of the best looking devices. And now he is for the passport even after he thought it looked "ugly". I don't know. It's just seems the BlackBerry fans are "convincing" themselves this a good looking devices. It all seems forced.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, lift, tack and 2 others like this.
    06-28-14 02:12 AM
    Kevin M. From crackberry once said the BlackBerry 9900 bold was one of the best looking devices. And now he is for the passport even after he thought it looked "ugly". I don't know. It's just seems the BlackBerry fans are "convincing" themselves this a good looking devices. It all seems forced.

Posted via CB10
    Don't understand the point you're trying to make.

spiculated, spikesolie and jsiever like this.
    06-28-14 02:13 AM
    It is an odd shape in comparison to other smartphones. I wonder who came up with the idea. I also wonder why there is doesn't seem to be much talk about the classic - I'd love to hear more about it.
    06-28-14 02:17 AM
    Don't understand the point you're trying to make.

My point is everyone seems to be supporting this device because all want BlackBerry to succeed. Not because they Actually like it. not one concept "dream" BlackBerry device ever looked like the passport. Doesn't that tell you something?

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000, bmantz65 and sean3089 like this.
    06-28-14 02:19 AM
    My point is everyone seems to be supporting this device because all want BlackBerry to succeed. Not because they Actually like it. not one concept "dream" BlackBerry device ever looked like the passport. Doesn't that tell you something?

Posted via CB10
    100% disagree with your statement. It is factually inaccurate.

06-28-14 02:20 AM
    It is an odd shape in comparison to other smartphones. I wonder who came up with the idea. I also wonder why there is doesn't seem to be much talk about the classic - I'd love to hear more about it.
    The classic should have had more thought given to it. I am disappointed. It seems just like my q10 with a trackpad. That's not enough to make it "classic". Add a curved keyboard. Make it really look like the old Bold devices. Right? I don't know. Whatever. It's just one device....just my 2 cents. I know I'm not alone in my dissenting opinion though...

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai and LuisCast like this.
    06-28-14 02:21 AM
    100% disagree with your statement. It is factually inaccurate.

I respect your opinion but I stand by my own. Let's see how it sells? All I know is that I barely saw any Q10 devices in the wild and when I did people liked how it was the best of both worlds: classic qwerty and a full touchscreen. If this passport turns the company's fortunes around then great. But I'm not counting on it. It's a bold move (no pun intended) for a company trying to win it's way back into the enterprise or commercial markets...

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 02:26 AM
    I respect your opinion but I stand by my own. Let's see how it sells? All I know is that I barely saw any Q10 devices in the wild and when I did people liked how it was the best of both worlds: classic qwerty and a full touchscreen. If this passport turns the company's fortunes around then great. But I'm not counting on it. It's a bold move (no pun intended) for a company trying to win it's way back into the enterprise or commercial markets...

Posted via CB10
    What are you trying to prove?

06-28-14 02:27 AM
    What are you trying to prove?

People want the Passport, he's asking what it is about this device that appeals to the people that want it. Answers would be the shape, or the battery, or the keyboard, something. You keep trying to tell him his opinion is invalid, which it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, lift, mikeo007 and 7 others like this.
    06-28-14 02:35 AM
    People want the Passport, he's asking what it is about this device that appeals to the people that want it. Answers would be the shape, or the battery, or the keyboard, something. You keep trying to tell him his opinion is invalid, which it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Incorrect

spiculated and spikesolie like this.
    06-28-14 02:38 AM
    Incorrect

I am trying to tell friend relatives even casual acquaintances that BlackBerry is back. And they are in a major way. BlackBerry 10 is sweet. But this a MAJOR misstep in design. I know I'm not alone in this viewpoint. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-28-14 02:45 AM
    I am trying to tell friend relatives even casual acquaintances that BlackBerry is back. And they are in a major way. BlackBerry 10 is sweet. But this a MAJOR misstep in design. I know I'm not alone in this viewpoint. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    Incorrect

Looks like I'm pretty spot-on.
    JeepBB, mikeo007 and eldricho like this.
    06-28-14 02:54 AM
    I doubt most you youngins even remember where cellphones started. If you want to talk about design look into the past.

Just because you hate the look doesn't mean it won't be a good form factor.
    06-28-14 02:55 AM
    I doubt most you youngins even remember where cellphones started. If you want to talk about design look into the past.

Just because you hate the look doesn't mean it won't be a good form factor.
    I had an Ericsson flip phone in high school. 1994. People thought it was a "drug dealer" phone. And even then the phone was twice as long as it was wide. Hell even rotary phone had the handpiece in that proportion. Square doesn't make sense. BlackBerry should have just made a phablet if they wanted more screen real estate. This passport device is "transitional" at best. Something to beta test their new physical "touch" keyboard. If that's the case then fine...but man wait till the media starts opining haha. I give up. To each his/her own I guess.....

Posted via CB10
    06-28-14 03:16 AM
    OP I know you are trying to put forward your own viewpoint, which is okay with me.
    To answer one of your questions, what is it that is liked by crackberrians about this device and they are supporting it for the sake of making BlackBerry successful ...well to start off with, when I first saw the prototype photos of Passport, I admit I didn't like it and panned it and called it ugly, even though I knew it was going to be launched whether we love it or not, I still panned it. But Once I saw JC holding it and initial finished product snaps, I started having a change of heart. Yes, I want BlackBerry to succeed just like you, but just like you, I wouldn't try and defend something about BlackBerry which is not dependable in my opinion.
    However, if you notice from my other posts, I'm a touch guy, but I would definitely try this device for the sheer fact that it is a unique device, it doesn't follow the 'standard ', it makes its own standard and might make people realise that there is something unique about this device, from the device that they are holding.
    Also please note, that the 'standard ' you are referring to, was not the standard before it became the standard.
    Also, I agree that this device might not sell well, but then again it might and I would give points to BlackBerry for the mere fact that in years for the first time they have tried to be innovative and tried something out of the ordinary.
    In short, you are entitled to your opinion, but I think collectively dismissing the views of fans of this device as merely wishes of people wanting BlackBerry success, might not be a good idea.

CAUTION : MAJ On Z30 Now!!!!
    06-28-14 03:22 AM
688 123 ...