Not that I've anything against BB's emoticons but if you like emoji's on your iPhone let's get um on BB10, it's be awesome if we had cross platform emoticons! Awesomest Software develops Emoji Free! on iOS their email can be found below:

[email protected]

Updated* I reached out and got a VERY speedy response:

Hello!

Currently it could be supported by other platforms, as the emoji icons are now just plain old Unicode characters, and it's a matter of other devices getting support for displaying the icons. If other devices gain support, is almost entirely up to the manufacture of the device.
    Let's get RIM on it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamezalexander; 09-29-12 at 05:37 PM.
    Yaceka and Fnen90 like this.
    09-29-12 03:54 PM
    Hope they do get it. Will be nice to see it more standardized. Both stock android 4.x and iOS support it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    James Nieves and Yaceka like this.
    09-29-12 04:04 PM
    Don't know that BB10 itself needs to support emojis, since it should be trivial for 3rd parties to bring in support for it. While it would be nice to have, I don't think RIM needs to place much emphasis. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    James Nieves likes this.
    09-29-12 04:08 PM
    Don't know that BB10 itself needs to support emojis, since it should be trivial for 3rd parties to bring in support for it. While it would be nice to have, I don't think RIM needs to place much emphasis. But that's just my opinion.

It's about making the transition better. People want the apps they use on other platforms to be on BB10. Emoji's are apart of the "other" ecosystems. A developer can bring the app over but RIM needs BB10 to be able to display the characters.
    Or do BlackBerry users deserve to get texts of Black boxes when they get texted? It's all about user experience for which Emoji has become a pretty big part of. To ignore it would be an oversight, luckily implementing them may not take much work

09-29-12 04:18 PM
    What's Emoji's and why do I need it on my BB?
    09-29-12 05:11 PM
    What's Emoji's and why do I need it on my BB?

those are emoji's (☠ ☡ ☢ ☣ ☤ ☥ ☦ ☧ ☨ ☩ ☪ ☫ ☬ ☭ ☮ ☯)

Unicode characters. Or shall I Google that for you too?

This thread may be a moot point; after reaching out to Alec Saunders

When iOS 5 came around Apple took it upon themselves to have Emoji keyboard added nativley so that the emoticons could be used without the need for a 3rd party app.

I think BlackBerry should follow suit.
    Last edited by jamezalexander; 09-29-12 at 05:42 PM.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    09-29-12 05:34 PM

Unicode characters. Or shall I Google that for you too?
    I was being sarcastic. You are however being...well nevermind. But happy to return the sentiment.

Point is, I have 5x more emoticons on my BB natively than I've ever sent or received...and have never been left with little black boxes. I'd rather read my text messages than play Pictionary.
    09-29-12 05:44 PM
    I was being sarcastic. You are however being...well nevermind. But happy to return the sentiment.

Point is, I have 5x more emoticons on my BB natively than I've ever sent or received...and have never been left with little black boxes. I'd rather read my text messages than play Pictionary.
    they are for more than text messages. you can use them anywhere OS where you can type. Notes, Contacts, I think you get the picture. Moreover it'd be nice to have cross platform emoticons. I may send a smiley from my BB and it shows up on my phone but on their phone its still good ole :-). People like emojis, apple obviously thought them important enough to incorporate. There are only 45 emoticons on BB which means you've only sent or received 5 emoticons? Or were you being sarcastic again? Emoji has 840+
    09-29-12 06:12 PM
    Wait. Don't we have that FancyCharcs already for the BB? So I suppose it will support the Emoji's on the BB10 as well?
    09-29-12 06:34 PM
    Wait. Don't we have that FancyCharcs already for the BB? So I suppose it will support the Emoji's on the BB10 as well?
    No. BBchars are not the same. They're limited to BB. So unless you're messaging another BB user, you're SOL.

There's no real standard for special chars in messaging, but emoji is spreading pretty quickly cross platform.

09-29-12 08:08 PM
    I completely agree, ive been obsessing over BB10 and have showed it to all my friends we're between 19-22 and they all have iphones and they really liked the platform and what it has so far, but one thing they all asked was if it would have Emoji's, that they didnt want to leave that behind because it makes texting that much more fun. so yeah its a big deal if they want to make iphone users switch.
    09-30-12 06:01 AM
    I don't often agree with jamezalexander, but this time he has a point. I mean, why wouldn't you want it??? What harm is there to the platform to have it? If you don't want to use it, then don't, but why wouldn't you want other people to use it? That's like being on a diet, and telling other people they can't have a cupcake for no other reason than you being on a diet.

You would think at this stage of the game for RIM, RIM supporters would want every single feature they can possibly get onto the platform to draw as many potential users as possible. Emoji might not be a big thing in the NA/WE markets, but if Blackberry wants to keep relevant in Asia (on of their biggest markets now if not the biggest), they should seriously think about getting Emoji. Asian emerging markets tend to follow trends out of Japan and Korea, and in Japan, even basic feature phones have Emoji.
    shemaree09 and Greg Lamb like this.
    09-30-12 07:49 AM
    feeling emo right now
    09-30-12 11:14 PM
    Even now, Twitter for Blackberry, Social Scope, or Ubersocial could show/use emoticons easily. Its just up to them to support it within their apps.

I think the only reason we haven't seen it is because more focus is being put on other platforms.
    10-01-12 12:39 AM
    10-01-12 08:56 AM
    they didnt want to leave that behind because it makes texting that much more fun. so yeah its a big deal if they want to make iphone users switch.
    Unfortunately technology trends are dictated by the social habits of 16 year old Japanese school girls. Fo'realz.
    10-01-12 09:01 AM
    Not that I've anything against BB's emoticons but if you like emoji's on your iPhone let's get um on BB10, it's be awesome if we had cross platform emoticons! Awesomest Software develops Emoji Free! on iOS their email can be found below:

[email protected]

Updated* I reached out and got a VERY speedy response:

Let's get RIM on it!

Why not can't see why anyone should have a problem with it being on bbx its not like someones going to hold a gun to your head and make you use them good idea op
    James Nieves likes this.
    10-01-12 04:40 PM
    Unfortunately technology trends are dictated by the social habits of 16 year old Japanese school girls. Fo'realz.
    And it's been caught on with NA teenagers. I've seen it a lot on Twitter. All I see is little black boxes though
    10-02-12 01:13 PM
    I'd call these more useful than most emoticons, but I'm more into productivity apps than chatting with teenagers. Anyway, for what it's worth... someone else stumbled over these and mentioned it to me.

http://i.imgur.com/PfEgh.png

Emoji's should be supported on BB10-pfegh.jpg
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-16-12 07:14 PM
    I use this emoji art app and never have troubles with composing messages with emojis, the app is good for bb also
    02-08-13 06:44 AM

So the fact that you don't use this, disregarding the fact that this is hugely popular, it's a dumb feature right?
    02-08-13 06:49 AM
    Even now, Twitter for Blackberry, Social Scope, or Ubersocial could show/use emoticons easily. Its just up to them to support it within their apps.

I think the only reason we haven't seen it is because more focus is being put on other platforms.
    completely agree. besides texting to other iPhone users they are regularly used on Twitter. Twitter apps could easily add this functionality.
    02-08-13 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD