I get some of RIM's new products are going to be sold without a keyboard but in fact here are the reasons why I like the keyboard and why I miss my Blackberry bold like crazy. (My wife made me get an iPhone in order to be able to facetime her.)

0) I will admit the Tourch is a smart solution. It allows a real keyboard with the ability to have a huge screen

1) I hate touch screens in the sun. At the bus stop, with my iPhone 4s, it is a useless piece of plastic on a sunny day. I literally cannot see to dial a phone numbers.

2) I love the feel of an actual keyboard

3) It is a of a lot easier to call or e-mail on a blackberry than on its competitors. If you are a business person or have tons of contacts, no comparison.

4) For the playbook, the Playbook with the keyboard includes a mouse with left and right mouse. It responds better and it a far more enjoyable product.

5) The Blackberry Phones use less bandwidth than their competitors. When you are downloading with a blackberry you are browsing at a far cheaper rate with a Blackberry phone. (Sadly, I am unsure if the Playbook has this).

I won't bother to say the current Blackbery line of phones has a gazillion business applications.

Why do you like Blackberry products. What are the positives upon which they can build.

Note: I freely admit to having had some frustrations with the playbook but overall, I was a happy Blackberry phone customer.
    flash24 and El Cid like this.
    06-30-12 06:00 PM
    (My wife made me get an iPhone in order to be able to facetime her.)
    This was all that was necessary to stop reading.
    06-30-12 06:08 PM

Emailing is just as good on the iPhone as it is on the Blackberry.

I do agree with the sun light part tho.
    On my 4S I could never really see anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 06:37 PM
    5) The Blackberry Phones use less bandwidth than their competitors. When you are downloading with a blackberry you are browsing at a far cheaper rate with a Blackberry phone. (Sadly, I am unsure if the Playbook has this).
    Ya... like the stone age Internet that my cave man parents might have used when they were 20 year olds? Ha ha... BIS is crap for consumers. I have to wait million hours to load a single page when my friends on iPhone download the same page in few seconds.
    06-30-12 06:55 PM

Emailing is just as good on the iPhone as it is on the Blackberry.

I do agree with the sun light part tho.
    On my 4S I could never really see anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I totally agree with this post.
    I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and using iPhone since its inception by default. But I am not an Apple fanboi or worshipper. After a while, everything is so well integrated, and I do admire Apple products.

In the summer of 2010, I accidentally encountered 9700 and loved the way it fit into my palm. Until then, I did not even bother to examine anything other than iPhone.

And I type more accurately and faster on iPhone's touch key. I picked up the 9700 as a stopgap when I sold my iPhone prematurely. BB now grew on me but for all the reasons other than the keyboard, although I like keyboard shortcuts and one hand operation etc (and sunlight issue.

Then, being such a gadget freak as I am, I was getting a bit bored with the 9790 and flirted in a store with 9900 that I dismissed when I bought it several months ago (felt too wide, and lost the compact touch of 9700 series).
    Now I am keeping the 9900 long enough to begin appreciating its keyboard. Keyboard still is not the reason why I use a BB but the way I think now is, if one of the most important elements in BB was a QWERTY, I might as well use it to the fullest advantage. And it may become extinct soon or later anyway.
    I use both the 9900 and the iPhone for business purpose only (I have no game or anything of that nature in my iPhone. It's all about PIM and some excellent task and ToDo apps etc.). I use the BB almost exclusively as an email reader, occasional replies when I am not near my Mac/laptop, quick check of calendar and tasks, and for that purpose, a BB is ideal.
    And, since I am using a BB as a daily driver, thought I might as well take advantage of the physical keyboard to the fullest extent, and the 9900 has the largest keyboard in any BB devices.
    06-30-12 07:00 PM
    Ya... like the stone age Internet that my cave man parents might have used when they were 20 year olds? Ha ha... BIS is crap for consumers. I have to wait million hours to load a single page when my friends on iPhone download the same page in few seconds.
    One area where iPhone truly excels by so much. I never even bother to check anything on internet on BB, although I downloaded Opera Mini just in case for real desperate situation (I do not like the default BB browser). Sorry to say, but the browser of BB is a useless piece of junk, literally (although it progressively improved from OS5, 6 & 7).
    On iPhone, I can use the internet just like my desktop or laptop, except the screen is much smaller. In Safari, bookmarks are always synced with my desktop. I carry mostly my 9900 when I leave office but I do carry iPhone too when I leave my desktop/laptop for more than 15 minutes or so. For any display intensive apps, you can't beat the iPhone. But I could get by most of the time with my BB only.
    06-30-12 07:11 PM

1) I hate touch screens in the sun. At the bus stop, with my iPhone 4s, it is a useless piece of plastic on a sunny day. I literally cannot see to dial a phone numbers.
    It's a useless piece of aluminum and glass on a sunny day. A useless piece of plastic would be the touchscreen only torch.
    06-30-12 08:20 PM
    I use both the 9900 and the iPhone for business purpose only (I have no game or anything of that nature in my iPhone. It's all about PIM and some excellent task and ToDo apps etc.). I use the BB almost exclusively as an email reader, occasional replies when I am not near my Mac/laptop, quick check of calendar and tasks, and for that purpose, a BB is ideal.
    And, since I am using a BB as a daily driver, thought I might as well take advantage of the physical keyboard to the fullest extent, and the 9900 has the largest keyboard in any BB devices.
    The 9900 keyboard is awesome. I have a 9900 as my business phone and it is connected to a BES. I switched to iPhone for my personal device partly because BIS is absolutely awful compared to iCloud and EAS for syncing PIM data (the other reasons were FaceTime and iMessage).
    06-30-12 09:10 PM
    This was all that was necessary to stop reading.
    FaceTime is a major selling point for iOS devices. I use it to video chat with my two year old, we bought one for my mother-in-law so she could video chat with my two year old. My father just bought an iPad primarily to FaceTime with my family and my sisters.

It works so well that at this point I would not switch from Apple for my personal device.
    06-30-12 09:14 PM
    And that is why I say BB needs to put a FFC and proper video chatting onto BBM. They completely missed the boat on that!
    06-30-12 09:24 PM
    FaceTime is a major selling point for iOS devices. I use it to video chat with my two year old, we bought one for my mother-in-law so she could video chat with my two year old. My father just bought an iPad primarily to FaceTime with my family and my sisters.

It works so well that at this point I would not switch from Apple for my personal device.
    Your marketing zeal notwithstanding, none of that has anything to do with the topic of the thread nor the fact that the reason for the OP getting the device he/she has is because they were so directed by their wife.

Folly from start to finish.
    06-30-12 10:36 PM
    Your marketing zeal notwithstanding, none of that has anything to do with the topic of the thread nor the fact that the reason for the OP getting the device he/she has is because they were so directed by their wife.

Folly from start to finish.
    The OP got the iPhone because his wife wanted to FaceTime. Seems that FaceTime was why the OP got the iPhone. Had his wife not wanted to use FaceTime to communicate with him, he would probably have a BB still. The OP and I (and my father) have all bought Apple hardware because of FaceTime.

Some people buy BBs so they can use BBM (though iMessage now has many more users). I doubt you would describe that as folly.
    06-30-12 10:42 PM
    The OP got the iPhone because his wife wanted to FaceTime. Seems that FaceTime was why the OP got the iPhone. Had his wife not wanted to use FaceTime to communicate with him, he would probably have a BB still. The OP and I (and my father) have all bought Apple hardware because of FaceTime.

Some people buy BBs so they can use BBM (though iMessage now has many more users). I doubt you would describe that as folly.
    All irrelevant to the stated topic, and still fraught with the folly of having to to buy any device because you're told to do so.

One hopes that FaceTime/iMessage comes bundled with some kind of numbing agent for such a drastic testicular removal process.
    07-02-12 10:47 AM
    Let's leave the keyboards in 2007, good riddance.
    07-02-12 10:50 AM
    With my recent 9930 trial, I learned that I prefer screen real estate to a physical keyboard. I'm basically as fast on a touch screen keyboard, though not as accurate. I completely agree about the screen on a bright day issue. I don't think that's necessarily a touch screen issue, however. The 9930 has a touch screen and it's VASTLY easier to read in bright sunlight unless I turn up the brightness on my Rezound to 100%, and even then I still have to combate glare. I think BB just uses screens that are easier to read in sunlight.
    07-02-12 10:59 AM
    Let's leave the keyboards in 2007, good riddance.
    No thank you. If I wanted to carry around a miniature version of a widescreen TV in my pocket, I'd get one.
    El Cid likes this.
    07-02-12 11:00 AM
    I couldn't get off the keyboard on BB 9900, and I thought typing on my HTC One X was great (and still is), but I type most of my tweets through my BB now. It is one thing I absolutely can't live without now. The thumbs do have finger memory.

The speed however at which you are doing stuff on the higher speed processor for the 9900 is the one feature that takes it all, in my opinion. Responsiveness goes up and the speed at which you are typing goes up due to the larger keyboard.

This is why I use it over my HTC One X nowadays.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-02-12 12:04 PM
    With my recent 9930 trial, I learned that I prefer screen real estate to a physical keyboard. I'm basically as fast on a touch screen keyboard, though not as accurate. I completely agree about the screen on a bright day issue. I don't think that's necessarily a touch screen issue, however. The 9930 has a touch screen and it's VASTLY easier to read in bright sunlight unless I turn up the brightness on my Rezound to 100%, and even then I still have to combate glare. I think BB just uses screens that are easier to read in sunlight.

I have to agree with every point you made here, Pantless. Seems like the love for BB is still strong in ya.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-02-12 12:32 PM
    I have to agree with every point you made here, Pantless. Seems like the love for BB is still strong in ya.

Thanks! It never left . I just found something I liked using more, but that doesn't keep me from trying current BB devices and being stoked for BB10.
    07-02-12 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD