Hi,

My wife's just got a Blackberry with her new job. The company POP email server isn't one of the "standard" major ones (ie not gmail or hotmail,yahoo etc etc etc) so there isn't a "web-based" pop email setup and we set it all up using the mobile dialogues.

So far so good. Emails got delivered to her mobile, provided Outlook wasn't online and nicking them off the server first. Now, she wanted to always give the Blackberry a chance to get her mails, in case she accidentally left her PC on in the office. So I had her check the "leave messages on the server" for 1 day in the Outlook 2007 account settings page.

Now emails arrive, eventually, on the Blackberry, but get delivered multiple times to her Outlook inbox.

So, two questions:

1 How do we stop the duplicates arriving in Outlook?
    2 How can we make the Blackberry "poll" the pop3 account more often. It seems to be set at around 15minutes, from what I've gleaned around the forum.

I'm sure these questions have come up and been answered elsewhere, but the answers I've found seem to depend on being on "Verizon" or some other major ISP that we don't have here in the UK!

If any answers could avoid TLA's that would be handy too, as we're n00bs!

TIA

K
    03-13-10 06:48 AM
    Answer 2 - Email is pushed every 15 minutes, can't change it.

Answer 1 - You need to choose leave email on server and get it delivered both places or remember to shutdown Outlook.
    03-13-10 07:13 AM
    OK, thanks.

I've been reading some more "stuff" and found mention of "auto forwarding" emails to a "blackberry email address". Perhaps this is a way forward? (no pun intended!) If I understand the concept correctly, might we be able to get the email server to copy incoming emails directly to Blackberry Messenger? Have I understood that correctly? If so, will they arrive faster and enable us to turn off the "leave copies on server" setting on Outlook?

So, question, if it (or something similar) is possible, what would be the Blackberry Messenger account name that we would forward the mail to?

K

edit: OK, I've set her up an email account @blackberry.orange.co.uk and found:

1 EMails forwarded to that address arrive much faster
    2 Replies from the blackberry come from that address, not the original sent to address
    3 My wife also has a "windows live" email account and there doesn't seem to be any way to "forward and keep" from that address to the "orange" one.

So, all in all, I guess she'll have to live with the slower delivery. Seems a shame though. If anyone's managed to come up with an "optimum setup", I'd still be interested to try stuff out...

Thanks

K
    Last edited by KennyT; 03-13-10 at 09:36 AM. Reason: more info found
    03-13-10 07:26 AM
    One other thing about polling for email. The polling apparently occurs every 15 minutes as you noted. But if there was email on the last polling event, then it will poll again at a shorter interval (I don't know what that timing is). If there is more email, it will continue at this shorter interval, but if there is not, then it goes back to 15 minutes.

Gmail is almost instantaneous, by the way.
    03-13-10 09:40 AM
    Hi

Am not an expert, but my own two penny worth.

1.BB is famous for push email, which is more or less instantaneous, not every 15 mins, my emails come instantly.
    2. you didn't say if you added your wife compnay POP3 account to her phone? I have 10 (yes, ten) POP 3 accounts on my 8900 on o2 UK.
    3. You shouldn't have multiple enteries on my outlook.
    4. did you set up the POP3 through the orange blackberry website or through mail setup on the phone (shouldn't be much different just follow the instructions)

Does this help?
    03-13-10 04:05 PM
    Answer 2 - Email is pushed every 15 minutes, can't change it.

Answer 1 - You need to choose leave email on server and get it delivered both places or remember to shutdown Outlook.
    Answer 2 right and wrong, pop can be 15 minutes but set it as imap and is instant push.
    03-13-10 04:12 PM
    Hi

Am not an expert, but my own two penny worth.

1.BB is famous for push email, which is more or less instantaneous, not every 15 mins, my emails come instantly.
    2. you didn't say if you added your wife compnay POP3 account to her phone? I have 10 (yes, ten) POP 3 accounts on my 8900 on o2 UK.
    3. You shouldn't have multiple enteries on my outlook.
    4. did you set up the POP3 through the orange blackberry website or through mail setup on the phone (shouldn't be much different just follow the instructions)

Does this help?
    In answer...

1 If I set up an email @blackberry.orange.co.uk, emails sent to that address are delivered pretty much instantly
    2 Yes.
    3 I don't understand what you mean, I know we shouldn't get multiple emails delivered to Outlook, but that's what happens unless we set it not to leave messages on the server.
    4 Set up on the phone - the website won't let me do it.

K
    03-13-10 04:25 PM
    Answer 2 right and wrong, pop can be 15 minutes but set it as imap and is instant push.
    Can you set IMAP delivery using a POP account? If so, whereabouts is it set on the phone?

K
    03-13-10 04:27 PM
    You you gone to BlackBerry Internet Service ?

here you should be able to set up as many as 10 POP3 accounts unless your wife's email provider has blocked it for any reason. I never done it with orange but I have done it O2 in UK and found it really easy, you create new accounts using her user names and password and there will be immediately created seperate folders on her phone for each email address.

Don't know anybody who uses mobile phone provider email, such as orange/O2 or vodaphone when it's so easy to set-up (not trying to be funny but it's less complicated than forwarding from mobile provider email)
    03-13-10 04:36 PM
    Can you set IMAP delivery using a POP account? If so, whereabouts is it set on the phone?

K
    Check with your email provider. MIne is 1and1.co.uk and the imap settings are imap.1and1.co.uk instead of pop.1and1.co.uk for the incoming server. For outgoing the settings are the same for both, auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk
    Emails are instant with imap and if you read them on the blackberry they will Appear as read in outlook as well. No folders tho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-10 04:39 PM
    Check with your email provider. MIne is 1and1.co.uk and the imap settings are imap.1and1.co.uk instead of pop.1and1.co.uk for the incoming server. For outgoing the settings are the same for both, auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk
    Emails are instant with imap and if you read them on the blackberry they will Appear as read in outlook as well. No folders tho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks, I'll check with them, but I think it's only POP that's available.

K
    03-14-10 01:19 AM
    You you gone to ... ?

here you should be able to set up as many as 10 POP3 accounts unless your wife's email provider has blocked it for any reason. I never done it with orange but I have done it O2 in UK and found it really easy, you create new accounts using her user names and password and there will be immediately created seperate folders on her phone for each email address.

Don't know anybody who uses mobile phone provider email, such as orange/O2 or vodaphone when it's so easy to set-up (not trying to be funny but it's less complicated than forwarding from mobile provider email)
    I've managed to set up 3 POP accounts for her:

1) Her company email account
    2) Her windows live messenger account (@live.co.uk)
    3) An Orange Blackberry account (as a test).

The details of the problem are:

1) Works fine, provided Outlook isn't set to leave messages on the server. If they are, then they get delivered once to the Blackberry (after about 15mins), but multiple times to Outlook. The multiple deliveries to Outlook didn't happen before we asked the Blackberry to access the account. I've just done some more testing. There weren't any multiple deliveries while the Blackberry was switched off overnight. Within 15mins of switching the mobile on, Outlook started re-reciept of messages in the inbox! I've switched the Blackberry off again, let's see what happens...

2) Same effect as (1)

3) Delivered much faster to the Blackberry than (1) or (2). Haven't set up Outlook to pick up this account (as it was only activated for testing purposes).

When I try to visit the Blackberry Orange website, via Firefox on a PC, first Firefox says the site isn't secure and if I override that warning, it either doesn't recognize the login details or I get this message when I try to create an account:

"Your account is not accessible via HTML browser. Please use your device to access Blackberry Internet Service".

So, I set up all the above accounts via the Blackberry itself.

Tks

K
    Last edited by KennyT; 03-14-10 at 03:36 AM. Reason: some more testing...
    03-14-10 01:37 AM
    OK, results of the test:

I sent a test message to the live.co.uk mailbox. It was delivered to Outlook OK.

I switched on the Blackberry, it received the same message OK.

15 mins later, the same message was re-delivered to Outlook.

I switched the Blackberry off.

The test message was still re-delivered to Outlook at 15minute intervals.

So, having the Blackberry switched on or off doesn't seem to make a difference, but the 15minute interval between deliveries to Outlook seems like too much of a coincidence to be unrelated!

K
    03-14-10 04:09 AM
    I scanned through the thread but didn't read all of it. You mentioned forwarding email from a pop account to a blackberry account. This is what I do. This way, they hit the pop server, and are instantly forwarded to your blackberry email account, which leaves a copy on the server. Then set your outlook up to delete emails after receiving them so they don't pile up on the server. And, on your blackberry email account that receives the pop messages, you can set it so that it "looks" like it came from the same address as the pop email account. I have 2 accounts set up this way, works great. You get push email delivered almost instantly to your BB, and you can reply from your BB and make it look like it came from a different email address.
    03-18-10 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD