In short: I use Wi-Fi at home and at the office,so most of the times I use email thru Wi-Fi. And I was wondering (couldn't find a related thread anywhere) if my emails still go thru BlackBerry servers when I'm using Wi-Fi?
    I have a BIS account (no BES allowed in my company) and 2 private Gmail and Yahoo e-mails.
    BIS:
    I know that when sending and receiving emails I use the Wi-Fi connection and naturally, I should use the BB servers in order to secure the messages, but I guess this only happens to my BIS e-mails? I'm not sure because I use Desktop Redirector, which I guess it still uses the BB servers in order to push my messages on the phone.
    Gmail and Yahoo:
    On a regular smartphone, you wouldn't need anything like a BB connection server, just use regular 3G or GPRS data to send/receive e-mail. And I don;t really need to secure my private e-mail , either, so...
    Just a big, big question mark and it's important because I only have 100 MB of included traffic in the subscription.
    05-04-09 03:22 AM
    If connected to your home or office wifi, it does not eat up your data allotment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 03:51 AM
    @blacklighter11 Ok,in a sense I knew that, but if your e-mail goes thru the BB server for compression&encryption isn't that counting as traffic?
    Anyway,thanks for your interest in replying.It's not burning but it irks me to find out
    05-04-09 04:24 AM
    @blacklighter11 Ok,in a sense I knew that, but if your e-mail goes thru the BB server for compression&encryption isn't that counting as traffic?
    Anyway,thanks for your interest in replying.It's not burning but it irks me to find out
    its not classed as data traffic by your network because its only going through the BB infrastructure and not passing over your mobile network. Therefore the data being transferred is using the data capabilities of the WIFI you're connected to.

The emails still go through BB Infrastructure for encryption and compression because that is how BB works, how it goes the process is just a means to an end.
    05-04-09 04:37 AM
    @talktofrank So in a translation it means that it's not counted as a part of the 100 MB allotment, even if it's e-mail. Is that what you mean?
    I know about general data traffic, it's ok, I do understand the wi-Fi process but my special interest is in e-mail.
    Thanks,
    05-04-09 04:45 AM
    @talktofrank So in a translation it means that it's not counted as a part of the 100 MB allotment, even if it's e-mail. Is that what you mean?
    I know about general data traffic, it's ok, I do understand the wi-Fi process but my special interest is in e-mail.
    Thanks,
    yeah, in a nut shell, if its over WIFI its not part of any data allowance you have on your mobile plan...
    05-04-09 04:47 AM
    @talktofrank Great then,thanks for the resolution!
    05-04-09 04:59 AM
    There is a critical difference between Wifi and UMA.

When your device is connected and UMA is displayed, all of your voice, messages and data will use the internet connection.

It is then up to the carrier to determine how that data is managed. In the US, T-Mobile includes unlimited data over UMA. In Canada, UMA data is still counted against your plan data.

On the positive side, 100 Mb is more then adequate for nearly all users. Most of us use a couple Mb per month.
    05-04-09 02:39 PM
    Here's a bit different:voice&sms is not counted as data. It's completely separate. Data thru WiFi is not counted because I use to listen to Flycast at home and download large files,maybe 500 MB/month and it's not counted against my plan. I also download another 30-40 MB of podcasts daily,so for sure here's not counted. My main concern is email,because I receive between 20-50 emails daily. They're not big,but each day I probably send and receive between 1-3 MB of email data. That's around 100 MB monthly,90% thru WiFi. On top of that I constanly browse the net,messenger,etc.Maybe you can understand my concernSo,I'll search some more but I guess I'm fine atm.10x

05-04-09 02:59 PM
    Here's a bit different:voice&sms is not counted as data. It's completely separate. Data thru WiFi is not counted because I use to listen to Flycast at home and download large files,maybe 500 MB/month and it's not counted against my plan. I also download another 30-40 MB of podcasts daily,so for sure here's not counted. My main concern is email,because I receive between 20-50 emails daily. They're not big,but each day I probably send and receive between 1-3 MB of email data. That's around 100 MB monthly,90% thru WiFi. On top of that I constanly browse the net,messenger,etc.Maybe you can understand my concernSo,I'll search some more but I guess I'm fine atm.10x

I can safely say that I use more data than you, I hammer my BB all day everyday, lol, and Ive never gone over my data FUP of 500mb and like you this is because most of my data traffic is over WIFI my calls and SMS are over UMA which is dealt with according to my voice plan, i.e if I have minutes left it uses them, if not I am charged accordingly...

I would say you are in the safe zone for the way you use it, but its always good to check with your carrier to make sure
    05-05-09 04:42 AM
    @talktofrank Lol My carrier doesn't understand what I want,what I ask)) That's why I always urn to you,guys 10x!

05-05-09 04:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD