I know I should have BIS service with bb. My situation is this.

I had an android phone, and I dropped in the water. I still have 2 more months to go for device upgrade. One of my co-worker gave me his 9700, so I can use it for 2 months.

I do not care about anything else but email.

I got gmail app that works just fine for few hours, then it says "This program requires a working data connection. Please, check your signal strength."

I took the battery out and reset the phone, then gmail app works another few hours.

Since I have regular data plan, web browser works just fine. Only gmail app gives me this problem.

Is there any solution for my situation? or shoud I keep resetting my phone every few hours?

Please, help me.
    07-18-11 04:26 PM
    Google "Logicmail for blackberry"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 04:34 PM
    or google anworm and shangmail (or funambol)
    07-18-11 07:00 PM
    Does Logicmail have push notifications for yahoo and gmail?

Do you get truncated emails with logicmail?
    07-18-11 10:54 PM
    Does Logicmail have push notifications for yahoo and gmail?

Do you get truncated emails with logicmail?
    LogicMail doesn't go through RIM's servers, so there is no push, and no truncated emails. All emails are polled/pulled from the server.

You can't bypass RIM's servers and still get push.
    07-19-11 06:46 AM
    With logicmail, no. But, you can bypass RIM's servers and get push if you use Shangmail or Funambol.

I've tried both. For security, you could run your own Funambol server. But, for ease of use, I stick to Shangmail. It uses the built in email client, so all of the "send to" links in the OS menus work how they should. Funambol uses its own email client, which I didn't like as well.
    07-19-11 08:34 AM
    With logicmail, no. But, you can bypass RIM's servers and get push if you use Shangmail or Funambol.

I've tried both. For security, you could run your own Funambol server. But, for ease of use, I stick to Shangmail. It uses the built in email client, so all of the "send to" links in the OS menus work how they should. Funambol uses its own email client, which I didn't like as well.
    Isn't Funambol at a price though? I think people here are trying to avoid bis charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 08:38 AM
    Nope. Open source and free. I'm sure eventually they'll want to charge for their "cloud," but you can run that on your home computer. That software is also free and open source.

If only they made it to work with the OS native email client (as shangmail does), they'd have a real gem. Or, at the very least, have "send with funambol" added to the menu for pictures and files.
    07-19-11 02:35 PM
    I got gmail app that works just fine for few hours, then it says "This program requires a working data connection. Please, check your signal strength."

I took the battery out and reset the phone, then gmail app works another few hours.
    This will also happen with Logicmail. There is no way to read your Mails on BB without BES/BIS except for mobile site.
    07-20-11 12:32 AM
    This will also happen with Logicmail. There is no way to read your Mails on BB without BES/BIS except for mobile site.
    I have BIS on my phone so use the native push email but I also have Logicmail installed so I can get access to my older archived emails and sent mail not sent from the BB if necessary however for me Logicmail only works on Wi-Fi. If I don't have an active Wi-Fi connection Logicmail fails everytime.
    07-20-11 06:10 AM
    Which is because you either have the APN settings on your phone misconfigured, or your carrier is blocking the connections over their network.

Most built-in apps use BIS-B for data (which always works on properly-service-enabled BlackBerry phones). Also, most mobile apps seem to use HTTP for everything, which is rarely blocked. (E-Mail protocols, on the other hand, frequently get blocked or routed through broken proxies.)
    07-20-11 07:44 AM
    why not just add a BIS plan? its not like they'll use up your upgrade on that...
    07-21-11 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD