I just noticed I was able to send and receive email over wifi with data off.
    I am sure I was not able to do this before. please post your experience in this thread to inform.

I am with Bell, having Torch 9860 - OS7.
    I turned off the cell data, and connect to wifi. I was able to send and receive email.
    then I removed the SIM card, browsing was working but email not working.

my question is if I go to another country (roaming) and turn off cell data, connect to wifi, will i still be able to send and revive emails?
    i assume since the cell data is off, there will not be a roaming charge for data from Bell.
    what if I use local SIM card (no data) still will be able to use it?
    01-23-13 02:46 PM
    anyone tried it?
    01-25-13 11:39 AM
    I think we have always been able to do this. I know for BBM on wifi you have to have BIS *somewhere * in the world. I am under the belief its the same for using email in the default inbox/outbox which goes through the NOC.

If you pop in a local sim with no data you will still be able to do it on wifi. But not on just the SIM.
    01-25-13 11:42 AM
    Playbook works with WiFi only...all you need is internet i would think...
    01-25-13 11:49 AM
    I think we have always been able to do this. I know for BBM on wifi you have to have BIS *somewhere * in the world. I am under the belief its the same for using email in the default inbox/outbox which goes through the NOC.

If you pop in a local sim with no data you will still be able to do it on wifi. But not on just the SIM.
    I've tried it. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't. I am not sure if it depends on your original carrier.

Basically, your device can connect (is capable of connecting) to BIS over WiFi. But your BIS account is administered by your carrier. So, if your carrier doesn't allow connecting to BIS Server via wifi only, it won't work. Most carriers do allow connecting to BIS over WiFI as long as THEIR OWN sim-card is present.

As soon as you remove carrier's SIM card and put some other carrier's sim-card, it becomes a question of how strict policies has (your original) carrier set on your BIS account. Because your BlackBerry PIN is still tied to your original carrier and so they are still administering your BIS account. So, it comes down to this: does your carrier allow connecting to BIS over WiFi without checking if carrier's own SIM card is present?

Atleast that used to be the case with BlackBerry 5 and 6 devices. Haven't tried with BlackBerry 7 device yet and I know some changes were introduced in BlackBerry 7 so that you can maintain your own BIS/BBID account. So, I am not sure how it works now. I am not sure if carrier's have some kind of control over BB 7+ devices since BIS/BBID account administration is directly done on the device now.
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 01-25-13 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Fomatting and typos
    01-25-13 11:51 AM
    Sometimes if you jump a continent you need to have carrier signal and data on before you connect to wifi, after that you can turn them off and use wifi only.
    01-25-13 12:10 PM
    Basically, your device can connect (is capable of connecting) to BIS over WiFi. But your BIS account is administered by your carrier. So, if your carrier doesn't allow connecting to BIS Server via wifi only, it won't work. Most carriers do allow connecting to BIS over WiFI as long as THEIR OWN sim-card is present.

As soon as you remove carrier's SIM card and put some other carrier's sim-card, it becomes a question of how strict policies has (your original) carrier set on your BIS account.
    I agree with you. I was able to use emails with data off and cell connection off but SIM card still in phone. when I removed the SIM card and tried, email was not working.
    So I am hoping when going to another country I can turn off cell network and data and use email over wifi.
    01-25-13 12:56 PM