just started with curve 8310 today. under the section email set up it does NOT list the option of "I want to create or add an email addres" only list the option of "i want ot use a work email account with a blackberry eterprise server" and "I want to skip email set up" This is for my personel use. What am I missing?
    Last edited by waterheadboy; 02-17-08 at 08:46 AM. Reason: missed import word
    02-17-08 08:44 AM
    Set it up on the BIS website here, not through the device.
    02-17-08 08:50 AM
    Thank you. I set up my email address.
    I don't think I am connected to the network. I tried sending a message to the bb but nothing. It appears I don't even have a web icon. Any suggestions?
    02-17-08 10:12 AM
    You need to resend the service books to the device. Log into your BIS website, and send it from there, or call AT&T and have them do it...
    02-17-08 10:23 AM
    You need to resend the service books to the device. Log into your BIS website, and send it from there, or call AT&T and have them do it...
    Navi:

I'm new at this. I upgraded my phone to an 8310 but my phone would not let me set up an e-mail from the phone. I went to the BIS and set up one of my personal accounts, and it set up fine. Phone still has no features. I tried to get it to send me the service books, but the phone did not receive them.

I called AT&T and they told me I HAD to buy the $30 "Blackberry personal addon", even though I already have a plan that allows me limited use. In other words, if I had bought a TREO, I'd be using e-mail right now.

Are they shootin' straight with me? Any way around this? Thanks.
    02-26-08 01:17 PM
    It sounds like your new Berry is not registered on the network. Go to Settings -> Options -> Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table then click the 'Berry' button to the left of your trackball. Select 'Register Now' and you should be good to go when that's done!

That's what worked for me!
    02-26-08 01:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but, no, that did nothing. I sent registration twice with no indication that anything has changed
    02-26-08 02:20 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but, no, that did nothing. I sent registration twice with no indication that anything has changed
    Pop the battery out with the phone still on, wait about 30 seconds and then put it back in. When everything comes back up, try my instructions again.

If that doesn't work then you likely don't have the proper data plan. If you don't add the BlackBerry Personal plan, you will not be able to set up your email address in the Berry. You should still have access to MEdia Net, but that's about all you'll get.
    02-26-08 02:23 PM
    I'm going to do this now, but might I ask if you know alternate plans to the $30 blackberry personal plan that your instructions would work for. I don't mind configuring through the website if that's the only "drawback".
    02-26-08 02:29 PM
    I'm going to do this now, but might I ask if you know alternate plans to the $30 blackberry personal plan that your instructions would work for. I don't mind configuring through the website if that's the only "drawback".
    Unfortunately there's no other option. That's the only way to get the internet and email accounts working properly on your device. Expensive, I know, but at least you can remove the old data plan you're paying for. You get the benefit of 'push' email with a BlackBerry, though.
    02-26-08 02:30 PM
    That plan you have currently is it specifically a blackberry one or is it a general data plan? You do need a specific one. The one for a treo is not a blackberry data plan:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-08 02:32 PM
    miakeru:

No-ze Go-ze. As much as I like this new (refurb) device, I don't think I would have chosen it with this proprietary requirement. I'm only a "casual" e-mail user, but I don't like being totally blocked off unless I choose a unique plan that costs almost as much as the plan to have the phone in the first place. Will probably get by just fine with SMS, MMS or Messenger, but I'm bummed.

Your availability for this request was fantastic! And I just want to say how much I appreciate the time you took.

If anyone knows of a workaround that will let me use AT&T's own services for this, I'd appreciate your consideration.
    02-26-08 02:43 PM
    That plan you have currently is it specifically a blackberry one or is it a general data plan? You do need a specific one. The one for a treo is not a blackberry data plan:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No. It's a leftover $9.99 plan from Cingular. I can browse and send other messages and would have been able to send e-mail, apparently, using anything but a Blackberry.

Surely, you'd think someone had figured a workaround for this, since we are still "using" the AT&T network. Not fair play, in my opinion.
    02-26-08 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD