Hi

Can someone explain whether the following should be possible using BIS?

If I send an email from my laptop using my Google Apps IMAP email account, should the email not appear on my BB as a sent email? Are they not supposed to sync like Thunderbird/Outlook do? If I send an email from the Gmail web interface, it appears in my Sent Folder on Thunderbird.

And whilst on the subject, should I not be able to view Inbox, Sent, Outbox etc individually on my BB? When I select "view folder" on my BB, it shows a list of MMS/SMS folders but no email folders.

Regards

BT
    11-06-08 11:19 AM
    I think your using the push method - getting your gmail via the built in email app. But just to clarify you should state if your using the google app for gmail or built in app.

In the gmail app you have have to go into "more" and select all your folders/labels you want to see that are not shown by default.
    11-06-08 12:17 PM
    BIS email doesn't sync like you apparently think it does (or should). Which emails get pushed to your BB will depend on how your BIS account is setup. Based on the behavior you describe, it sounds like your BIS is setup to use IMAP.

To get messages sent from your desktop to appear on your BB, you'll need to configure BIS to use POP3 (the default when you setup a BIS account). A side effect here is that messages that "Skip the Inbox" as a result of a Gmail filter will also get pushed to your device. The only way I know to deal with this is to reproduce the Gmail filters as BIS filters on your carrier's BIS web site. Gmail filters can't always be reproduced accurately due to the simplistic nature of the BIS filters. Another effect of this is that you'll be notified as these sent items arrive on your BB.

Regardless of how BIS is setup though, you'll never see more than the Inbox (and possibly sent items) on your BB. It's just not designed to work that way.

What I do is use the BB native email app with BIS to read new email and send email while away from my desktop, and use the Gmail app to access the actual Gmail mailbox, along with its labels and other functionality.
    11-06-08 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD