I work for a multinational firm and was traveling to a project this week to setup their IT function. When selecting phones this is the email I got from my COO.
    "Do we really want to issue new Blackberry�s � my understanding is that RIM is basically defunct and that the likelihood of Blackberry being around much longer is not high?"
    He's ex US military!!!!!.
    Here is my reply

Blackberry will definitely be around for a while but they may not make phones we will see. They will definitely be supporting the phones they are selling for the foreseeable future.

"However for certain employees we may be able to give them blackberries that are extremely secure and much cheaper to acquire. Also the lack of app availability generally reduces the data consumption on the devices and provides productivity. So while it may not be a great personal device they could work very well for a company fleet. After all Obama and Angela Merkel use one !"

Safe to say they have a blackberry option.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Besadmin28; 12-09-14 at 11:48 AM.
    12-09-14 05:00 AM
    I hope BlackBerry doesn't let you down.
    kbz1960, shaleem, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    12-09-14 06:19 AM
    I hope BlackBerry doesn't let you down.
    Hasn't let me down yet. Use it heavily for work. And we have three in our household.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    12-09-14 07:24 AM
    For me it's perfect even as a personal phone

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 07:37 AM
    They won't let me down . And the value for money you get with Blackberry now is very compelling.

12-09-14 11:49 AM
    Shouldve also said $3 billion in cash, no debt, and balance sheet improving

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    12-09-14 11:54 AM
    Not that it really changes anything in terms of this conversation, but doesn't BlackBerry still have $1.25 Billion in convertible debt?
    12-09-14 12:12 PM
    It doesn't help when some phone shop employees feed that kind of information to consumers on the high street (which is what happened to me) . Such misleading information gets back to people in big business and has the potential to be quite damaging. Thankfully there are employees like yourself setting the record straight. I'm new to BlackBerry but totally loving it. I can't deny that I loved my iPhone when I had it but as you imply - it's the BlackBerry that's aimed at the business market. I can't comment on the other smartphone and portable OS' out there because I have no knowledge of their capabilities.

Posted via CB10
    divakar likes this.
    12-09-14 12:16 PM
    My Manager said the same thing last year. went as far as to start purchasing other devices to trial in prep for the demise. a year later we are still a BB shop and have deployed more BB10 devices than we had bbos.

The fact the the media is against the company because positive headlines don;t bring rates sucks but it is what its. We blackberry enthusiasts just have to set them straight from time to time
    12-09-14 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    As a shareholder, the no debt part opens my eyes. May I know when did they pay back/convert to share the last 1.25 billion loan they took?
    12-09-14 01:29 PM
    Your COO is just repeating what he has heard.... even John Chen hasn't said that Hardware is going to stay in their future. And as for support.... yes devices will work - that doesn't mean they will get updates. If they drop hardware, they'll drop BB10 also.

The Company BlackBerry seems to be improving their financial problems, and I don't doubt that it will be around in some form for years to come. But hardware is still a problem for them and sales of 200K - 500K Passports might make them a short term profit, it doesn't make the Passport a real success when it comes to building marketshare, or the more important mind share among consumers - which COO's, CFO's and CEO's all are.

And your comment....
    Also the lack of app availability generally reduces the data consumption on the devices and provides productivity.
    for some companies that might be true, but for others the lack of productivity apps is more of a concern. Different companies have different needs, which is why Apple is now the #1 mobile provider for business. Keeping employees on task and not allowing them to use time wasting apps is part of the IT departments job of management.

If you are trying to make an argument for BlackBerry, focusing on BES12 and BB10 would be the best route to go. Security and Manageability would be where I would focus - next would be the cost in comparison to "other" popular devices.
    12-09-14 01:36 PM
    I work for a multinational firm and was traveling to a project this week to setup their IT function. When selecting phones this is the email I got from my COO.
    "Do we really want to issue new Blackberry�s � my understanding is that RIM is basically defunct and that the likelihood of Blackberry being around much longer is not high?"
    Here is my reply

Blackberry will definitely be around for a while but they may not make phones we will see. They will definitely be supporting the phones they are selling for the foreseeable future.

"However for certain employees we may be able to give them blackberries that are extremely secure and much cheaper to acquire. Also the lack of app availability generally reduces the data consumption on the devices and provides productivity. So while it may not be a great personal device they could work very well for a company fleet. After all Obama and Angela Merkel use one !"

That is a hilarious statement...ironic as well...

Back to the big picture, it's BlackBerry's responsibility to inform people. Everyone says that it doesn't matter since they're focusing on enterprise, but instance such as that right there show that people still see BlackBerry dead and in the enterprise space.
    12-10-14 03:31 PM
    That is a hilarious statement...ironic as well...

Back to the big picture, it's BlackBerry's responsibility to inform people. Everyone says that it doesn't matter since they're focusing on enterprise, but instance such as that right there show that people still see BlackBerry dead and in the enterprise space.
    Well the OP'S COO did ask a question, we'll just have to wait and see what direction they choose to go in. If BlackBerry or any big company actually does die, (meaning they shut down completely) it will be on all the networks, and in the case of BlackBerry people will say, "I told you years ago BlackBerry was dead." I don't think we're there yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 06:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Should've told him about QNX, that BlackBerry owns, is the os used in ALL USA Military drones!

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    12-10-14 06:59 PM
    Your COO is just repeating what he has heard.... even John Chen hasn't said that Hardware is going to stay in their future. And as for support.... yes devices will work - that doesn't mean they will get updates. If they drop hardware, they'll drop BB10 also.

The Company BlackBerry seems to be improving their financial problems, and I don't doubt that it will be around in some form for years to come. But hardware is still a problem for them and sales of 200K - 500K Passports might make them a short term profit, it doesn't make the Passport a real success when it comes to building marketshare, or the more important mind share among consumers - which COO's, CFO's and CEO's all are.

And your comment....

for some companies that might be true, but for others the lack of productivity apps is more of a concern. Different companies have different needs, which is why Apple is now the #1 mobile provider for business. Keeping employees on task and not allowing them to use time wasting apps is part of the IT departments job of management.

If you are trying to make an argument for BlackBerry, focusing on BES12 and BB10 would be the best route to go. Security and Manageability would be where I would focus - next would be the cost in comparison to "other" popular devices.
    Productivity pretty much means effective and fast communication. Data retrieval, management, editing all done in a secure environment.
    The "there's an app for that mentality" according to many studies reduces productivity. In my opinion Apple is selling a lie. A clown in a business suit if you want to put it bluntly. Apple business sells under the premise of productivity but turns out to be a fallacy of entertainment. (Games + Social)

Supporting the People's Struggle Worldwide via my STA100-5 Z30 ?
    12-11-14 06:12 AM
    Here is my reply

Yeah. Out CTO is as dumb as a box of rocks, but he hangs on because of his political connections. He's a huge Apple fan and issued iPads to the executives without training or support. And a couple of them promptly gave it to their kids to play with.

And the expected hilarity ensued.

Humans.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 08:49 AM
    Should've told him about QNX, that BlackBerry owns, is the os used in ALL USA Military drones!
    Red herring. That BB owns QNX has nothing to do with the future of the handset business. Or the future of BB10. BB could very well decide that phones and phone OS are not a money making proposition and simply focus on MDM with BES and QNX as a separate business entity.
    12-11-14 09:38 AM
    For me it's perfect even as a personal phone

Posted via CB10
    Seconded.

? ? ? Zzzzwipetypetapped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-12-14 04:50 AM