Hey guys.. did a search but couldn't find the answer. When I add a new email account via BIS, how do I know whether the account is being set up via POP or IMAP? When I add a new account, all my accounts (including Gmail) were set up automatically and did not give me an option for manual entry for account settings. So I have no idea whether these accounts are being set up via IMAP or POP.. And if some accounts were set up with POP, then I'd like to force them to use IMAP so that I can sync the accounts across all my machines..

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
    01-03-08 02:41 PM
    I don't know... the server knows, lol.

For instance, now with GoDaddy POP accounts, you can use IMAP simply by deleting your BIS email setups, and re-entering them, which makes my GoDaddy hosted accounts instant push to the BB. Your Yahoo and GMail will be as well, you don't have to choose (and you can't).
    01-03-08 02:56 PM
    Pretty sure you have to specify. To setup Gmail via IMAP its different than the standard setup. You need to enable IMAP on your Gmail account first. By default it will be POP. If you want to use IMAP try this:

Gmail IMAP on Blackberry
    01-03-08 03:09 PM
    Probably so on the GMail servers. You don't have to on the GoDaddy hosted accounts. I did this recently on my all my accounts.
    01-03-08 03:11 PM
    So there is NO WAY to force a certain account to use IMAP over POP on the blackberry's part? I use 1and1 email and they are enabled for both POP and IMAP and I can't disable one of the two, so I have no idea whether these are being connected through POP or IMAP.. How do I make sure these accounts use iMAP?
    01-03-08 03:15 PM
    Well as azeis said, with GMail, you can.

I don't about 1and1, unless a user here comments, you may need to ask them directly.
    01-03-08 03:20 PM
    Bah... so this means accounts that use same incoming email server for both POP and IMAP protocals, you can't choose at all then..
    01-03-08 04:42 PM
    yeah you can do it. Thats how I set mine up. You have to trick it a little but it is possible. What you need to do is, after you select which provider or account you want to set up, it asks you for your email address, Just use bla @ bla.com or anything like that, just has to see the @.com when it trys to find it, it will then error out becuase there is now such address or provider and will now give you the option to manually set it up with your settings you choose,

Hope that helps, worked great for me
    Last edited by cableguy1224; 02-04-10 at 10:04 PM.
    02-04-10 10:01 PM
    So there is NO WAY to force a certain account to use IMAP over POP on the blackberry's part? I use 1and1 email and they are enabled for both POP and IMAP and I can't disable one of the two, so I have no idea whether these are being connected through POP or IMAP.. How do I make sure these accounts use iMAP?
    1and1 helpfully uses different addresses for their imap and POP servers so that makes it quite easy. One of my mail accounts uses the same address for imap and pop so even the way I'm about to describe took four attempts of creating and deleting before it randomly changed to imap instead of POP.

Go to email set-up and enter the email address before putting in the wrong password. It will ask you to check your details or offer you the chance to configure it yourself. Go for configure yourself.

I always select work email rather than personal and then you can go through and enter the details for your imap account. Make sure you specify imap.1and1.co.uk as the mail server and you'll have an imap set-up.
    02-06-10 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD