I've been a very happy blackberry user for the past 2 years or so and this has been with via my Company's BES. My wife, who is self employed, is now keen to have one herself as she is getting more and more work related emails when she is away from her PC and she like the functionality of my 8310. We can get hold of one of these via O2 which is where he mobile contract is with at the mo (taking advantage of the great priced broadband ) and add the Blackberry bolt-on.

My question to this community is what is the best way to go about setting up her email? Currently she has a registered domain name and uses Outlook to access this email via POP3 (and also a very poor webmail carrier when away from home). I have been looking at a variety of options to go for; whether this is via an Outlook Enterprise hosting service or Google Apps etc, but it isn't clear which would be the most appropriate method, given cost, functionality and service for just one user.

Any suggestions, advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Martin
    09-17-09 09:24 AM
    If you sign up with a blackberry plan with your carry, you should get the BIS service. If you are happy with your POP3 email account service, just add this email address to your BIS account. The emails should push to her blackberry. Simple and done.
    09-17-09 10:16 AM
    The only draw back to BIS and POP3 is that it can take 15 minutes for her email to arrive.

Check with her domain host whether they support IMAP and IMAP_IDLE. If they support IMAP_IDLE then she should set up her email on BIS as IMAP and it will then be near instant. Also, it will mark read messages as such on the server and copy sent items back to the server's sent items.

There are workarounds such as an auto bcc to send her sent items back to an email address so she'll have complete records on her computer but with POP3 there's nothing you can do to avoid the possible 15 minute delay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 10:24 AM
    If you sign up with a blackberry plan with your carry, you should get the BIS service. If you are happy with your POP3 email account service, just add this email address to your BIS account. The emails should push to her blackberry. Simple and done.
    Many thanks for the reply. How will this work with Outlook? Will emails sent from the BB show in the sent box when this is opened?
    09-17-09 10:26 AM
    If you use a POP account, then no. Emails sent from the blackberry will not automatically appear in the sent folder for Outlook. I believe an IMAP account can do this. Gmail does offer free IMAP accounts now if that is an option.
    09-17-09 10:31 AM
    If you use a POP account, then no. Emails sent from the blackberry will not automatically appear in the sent folder for Outlook. I believe an IMAP account can do this. Gmail does offer free IMAP accounts now if that is an option.
    The domain host may also offer IMAP as well as POP and that would mean no need to change anything.

09-17-09 12:17 PM
    Also, if you're using Outlook, make sure to configure it to leave a copy of messages on the server, otherwise they may stop coming to the phone.

09-17-09 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD