11-14-11 07:11 AM
107 ... 2345
tools
    That is old news and just one of ummm a few odd numbered of security violations uncovered in the last few years.

If iphone security is so advanced why can a cellbrite hack through it in 5 seconds? Why can you go to a website to jailbreak and root the iphone in a matter of minutes and then change the password. Yes you can do stuff to the blackberry do, but the device itself has never really been the target of drive-by vulnerabilities on a scale seen by android or ios.

You might want to post some credible links so we at crackberry know the blackberry is a ticking time bomb security risk and show how easy it is to hack it given proper security precautions. I don't know what baloney you believe on the internet but it sounds like you add rye bread and mustard to it.
    Thanks for posting links, quotes and facts instead of rambling on for a bit.
    10-02-11 09:29 AM
    Ditto to you. Instead of being an argumentative @@@@, why don't you post facts, instead of a link from March 2011. This is October 2011 and a I would think a number of software patches would have been issued to address this particular issue. The code wasn't even RIMs.

So if you believe BB OS 5,6,7 are really far behind, don't post links that show this opinion, because opinions are like you know what. Post a link where it shows how real world vulnerabilities could cause the BB to be pwnd.
    Last edited by i7guy; 10-02-11 at 09:38 AM.
    10-02-11 09:34 AM
    In terms of data at rest (physical device security), Android devices are low hanging fruit because they dont currently offer built-in, full device encryption. There are a number of products that allow temporary rooting of the phones and bit by bit extraction of the entire device. Google android physical acquisition.

Multiple companies offer software to defeat an encrypted iPhone with a simple passcode. i7guy mentioned Cellebrite, and Elcomsoft has broken the iPhone too:
    ElcomSoft Breaks iPhone Encryption, Offers Forensic Access to File System Dumps
    iOS Forensic Toolkit: Keychain Decryption, Logical Acquisition, iOS 4.3.4, and Other Goodies

Other than the media card issue outlined above, a password protected BlackBerry is still very secure.
    10-02-11 02:15 PM
    Nothing is scecure stop the argueing. If someone wants to hack your phone they'll hack it, with or without your stupidity on proper security measures, there are to many tools across all three major platforms for anyones device to be safe.
    10-02-11 02:19 PM
    Nothing is scecure stop the argueing. If someone wants to hack your phone they'll hack it, with or without your stupidity on proper security measures, there are to many tools across all three major platforms for anyones device to be safe.
    All platforms will be subject to browser exploits and malware from time to time, but you can't get to the encrypted data on my BlackBerry at present.
    10-02-11 02:33 PM
  6. T
    Ridiculous statements. An encrypted BlackBerry is secure; iphones and anroids are not. Saying "nothing is secure" is just a silly attempt to end discussion about an obvious android/iphone flaw: security (and it's a biggie).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-02-11 03:58 PM
    Sure if the nsa wants your data they can get to it. Even BBs are not immune, Maybe you would like to point us to some evidence of wholesale design flaw vulnerabilities in blackberries.
    10-02-11 04:20 PM
    Are you all still beating this dead horse my goodness let it go

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    10-02-11 04:36 PM
    Why are you responding if you are not interested?
    10-02-11 04:39 PM
    It isn't so much as I'm not interested as I'm frustrated with everytopic on this site being BB vs iPhone vs Android. I mean I'm guilty of it myself but man its getting really old.
    10-02-11 04:46 PM
    Words from someone who is out of idea's on how to win an argument
    10-02-11 04:51 PM
    There was never an argument to be won lol. None of my post had an argumentive tone. Very sorry I made you feel that way about my post on this thread.
    10-02-11 04:56 PM
    There was never an argument to be won lol. None of my post had an argumentive tone. Very sorry I made you feel that way about my post on this thread.
    This is extremely argumentative.

Fact is that there are many more vulnerabilities in Android. If there weren't, they would have been FIPS certified. Even iOS is considered more vulnerable than BB, although it is nowhere near as vulnerable as Android.

Each platform has its flaws and its strengths. It is the height of closemindedness to attempt to not see that. For Android and iOS the strengths are multimedia and apps. For BB it's communication and security. If it were not so, the secure community would be using Android behind the firewalls.
    10-03-11 02:54 AM
    EXTREMELY argumentative. Lol wow stop exaggerating please. There is no way you can view an open ended statement not addressing anyone in specific as EXTREMELY argumentative. I made a statement because I don't see the point in argueing over devices that can be hacked if someone with enough resources wants to hack them. What is EXTREMELY argumentative in that statement.

10-03-11 08:14 AM
  15. T
    It's idiotic to lump BlackBerries into a blanket statement like "all devices can be hacked" when the discussion is about the particulars of passwords and security, and when it's also a known fact (and it is) that BlackBerries are significantly more secure than ios or android devices. Nice try, but android and ios "security" is a complete joke next to BlackBerry security. Can "all devices be hacked"? Maybe by the NSA, but a BlackBerry being hacked is about as likely to happen as aliens coming down from outer space to abduct us.
    10-03-11 08:55 AM
    I'm confused in one sentence you say its idiotic to lump devices together under a blanket statement then you do just that with android and ios... What the

And according to the guys that hacked the bb last year. Their take? Bb is no more secure than ios

10-03-11 08:58 AM
    Okay...

If I say Blackberry devices are the cream of the mobile security crop, and all other smartphones are sieves, can we all calm down?
    10-03-11 08:59 AM
  18. T
    I'm confused in one sentence you say its idiotic to lump devices together under a blanket statement then you do just that with android and ios... What the

And according to the guys that hacked the bb last year. Their take? Bb is no more secure than ios

Ah, Katie. I do lump the devices together. Android and ios are in the group of devices that can easily be hacked; BlackBerry is not. And for the hundredth time to you:

pwn2own and no one else you can think of can hack into a blackbery that has a strong password, encryption mode set to device key, and javascript turned off.
    10-03-11 09:09 AM
    No one can hack into my Android device when it is turned off. No one.

C'mon guys... relax...
    10-03-11 09:31 AM
    It's idiotic to lump BlackBerries into a blanket statement like "all devices can be hacked" when the discussion is about the particulars of passwords and security, and when it's also a known fact (and it is) that BlackBerries are significantly more secure than ios or android devices. Nice try, but android and ios "security" is a complete joke next to BlackBerry security. Can "all devices be hacked"? Maybe by the NSA, but a BlackBerry being hacked is about as likely to happen as aliens coming down from outer space to abduct us.
    There are 70million plus blackberry users, and you're telling me that one of these handsets being hacked is about as likely as an alien abduction. Then he lables me the idiotic one here come on be serious you can't really be that niave.
    10-03-11 09:32 AM
  21. T
    Pwn2own and no one else you can think of can hack into a blackbery that has a strong password, encryption mode set to device key, and javascript turned off. Can the same be said for an android or ios device?
    10-03-11 09:47 AM
    What it is, is that everyone here commonly lumps iOS and Android together but then attack!!! When blackberry ia compared (and rightfully so). The biggest thing that keeps blackberry away from being hacked more often and as a topic of discussion in that world is because of obscurity. Yes the BlackBerry has exceptional security measures when applied correctly and monitored often, but it is not impervious to being hacked. To think that is ignorant in my personal opinion.

10-03-11 09:48 AM
    The biggest thing that keeps blackberry away from being hacked more often and as a topic of discussion in that world is because of obscurity.
    Lets address the obscurity issue. Hackers call it obscure because they cant get to it. RIM documents their encryption extensively. Locked files are secured with a 256-bit key, you can configure your device to write a 571-bit ECC key for data received while the device is locked. A 571-bit ECC key is roughly equivalent to a 256-bit symmetrical key. To break either key would require quantum computing, probably theoretical quantum computing at this time. The protections that BES provides data in transit are also well documented and known. Hackers want to get into a locked device and probe. They want to locate a weak encryption key and figure out how it was hashed. Do they really expect RIM to give that information up? Until hackers figure out how to bypass BlackBerrys password API, device security will remain obscure to them.
    10-03-11 01:42 PM
    I've always been amused by the obscurity argument. And I love how certain people jump on the one pwn2own incident for the BB which was not actually real world while almost every single month there are security vulnerabilities that come out for Android. Heck, there were three on the one month I had my Atrix. The Samsung device that is ready to be released is already plagued with vulnerabilities even before hitting the market. And people will buy it because they appear to be mesmerised by bright shiny objects with no thought at all of security. So their devices will have NFC, contain credit card information, and be a security risk to their information. OK.....whatever.
    But the instant one of these vulnerabilities is discussed the response is always either "that's not a big deal' or "that got patched" or the favourite argument here the famous *one instance* of a hack on a BB. These are the same people who when you mention the same hacks on iOS and Android will immediately talk how it's not a real world hack, but will jump all over the BB one.
    And let's not forget that every single jailbroken or rooted iPhone or Android is a hacked device. And of those, there are millions. Entire websites dedicated to how to conduct these hacks, rendering whatever weak security there had originally been in the OS void.
    The weak security along with the wide availability of hacks are the reason they have not yet been certified for use behind secure community firewalls. Bring up whatever convoluted rationalisation for why BBs are not hacked, but the fact remains that they are simply inherently more secure because hackers simply cannot get to the application layer. It is that simple.

But....all those excuses and rationalisations for a weak platform will immediately pop up when I post this....three days into the month of October and this month's Android vulnerability already exposed....and as relayed by Android fans themselves, it's a "massive" one.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10...ses-much-more/

Now....let's hear the excuses, rationalisations.....I've got a fresh cup of coffee.....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-04-11 at 03:56 AM.
    i7guy and hornlovah like this.
    10-04-11 03:21 AM
    Yep HTC users have a lot to worry about with that vulnerability. It is actually a pretty bad one.
    10-04-11 07:48 AM
107 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD