I'm contemplating keeping my GPS location on all the time.

Assuming I'm not running google maps or poynt in the background all the time, would this have a huge effect on battery life?

I'm hoping by keeping GPS utilizing apps closed it won't really drain my battery

Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 03:52 PM
    I used to keep mine off for the same reason. Decided to leave it on and haven't really noticed that much of a difference.
    09-18-09 04:09 PM
    I used to keep mine off for the same reason. Decided to leave it on and haven't really noticed that much of a difference.
    Yeah I leave mine on 24/7 - I frequently use the phone, maybe 20-30 sent/received sms's, daily google map usage and .5-2 hrs of media played daily and my battery last about 48-65 hours - only if I stream something do I ever see a big drop in discharge < if that's something to compare against.
    09-18-09 04:22 PM
    Leave it on, you'll notice little to no difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-09 04:42 PM
    iv noticed when mine is on that the battery dies a lot quicker
    09-18-09 04:43 PM
    iv noticed when mine is on that the battery dies a lot quicker
    might be different with a tour
    09-18-09 05:01 PM
    no difference, i've gone with and without for large portions of time, multiple recharge, and averaged use vs battery life, and there is no real difference with it on or off...

the reason being that it's not "on" pinging constantly, it's just software, that needs to be triggered by another piece of software, like an app...

now if you have like google maps, and you don't close it, i do believe it's updating in the background, but i'd consider that more of an app running issue vs the GPS draining your battery, any app left running, GPS app or not, will drain your battery
    09-18-09 05:22 PM
    sweet, thanks for the advice everybody

im keeping it on!
    09-18-09 05:31 PM
    now if you have like google maps, and you don't close it, i do believe it's updating in the background, but i'd consider that more of an app running issue vs the GPS draining your battery, any app left running, GPS app or not, will drain your battery
    Patches is correct. If you leave any GPS-enabled app open in the background or not, actively using or not, it will drain your battery so fast it will make your head spin. I usually leave my phone on the car charger when using Garmin Mobile because of the battery drain. You have to close the app, not back out of it. Pull up the menu and and click "Close".
    09-18-09 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD