OK. I always close apps when done with them to save battery life.

My question is this:

Is using the back button as effective as using the menu button to close an app?
    I ask because I'm lazy. It's easier to press back 3 times as opposed to menu, scroll, select 3 times.
    It appears to work, just wondering if someone knows something I don't about this.
    03-30-09 05:30 AM
    Using the back button to back out of apps may leave the app still running in your memory.

You can always check to see if anything else other than the 5 apps (Home, Phone, BB Messenger, Browser, and Messages) is running by holding the Alt key down and then pressing the Back key.
    03-30-09 06:00 AM
    Different applcations exit differently. Definitely check each application to see if it goes to the background, or really exit. Some applications only fully shut down from the menu.

Examples:
    JiveTalk, Nimbuzz, Palringo, and other IM applications just go the background when using the Back button - keeps messenger apps running and ready for incoming chats.

MobiPocket ebook reader keeps a small app running in the background for synchronizing annotations and transferring books bewteen BB and PC. You have to press Shift-Q to fully exit.

KeePassBB fully exits when pressing the Back key.
    03-30-09 08:06 AM
    Always use menu close, or you will have way too many programs running in the backround. Hitting back is like minimizing the program to the toolbar on your computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 08:19 AM
    Very helpful, very useful info. Thanks all.

Now I can use switch application menu or ALT Back to know what's running. I love learning these little tricks.
    03-30-09 04:44 PM
    Yeah, I'd just get in the habit of doing a Menu close. Just saves worry later.
    03-30-09 04:48 PM
    Well, like my signature implies...I will choose the lazy way.

IF it works. Otherwise I do it right.
    03-30-09 04:53 PM
    It's hard to say which ones will exit correctly using the escape key. It's always safer to just hit menu-close

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 05:01 PM
    I use menu, and close. Some apps won't shut down that way, though.
    03-30-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD