I wonder how many BBOS device and BBM accounts went dark after El Chapo was caught with BlackBerry's help. It's not that BlackBerry did anything wrong, just that far too many didn't fully understand what level of "privacy" BlackBerry really offers. Sometimes being fully transparent with your customers... is what's best for your bottom line.
    I thought they basically just followed the tracking on Sean Penn's phone when he went to interview him..
    01-19-17 04:07 PM
    BlackBerry has to be careful with their messaging on privacy and security. They have to emphasize their cooperation with lawful government requests for customer data because many of their largest and most loyal clients are governments!
    Government users have managed devices, so BlackBerry's privacy policies are irrelevant.
    shaleem likes this.
    01-19-17 04:14 PM
    Government users have managed devices, so BlackBerry's privacy policies are irrelevant.
    You misunderstand my point.

Do you think governments are more likely to give their business to companies like Apple that are antagonistic to government requests for data, or companies like BlackBerry that are openly supportive and compliant with them?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    01-19-17 04:21 PM
    You misunderstand my point.

Do you think governments are more likely to give their business to companies like Apple that are antagonistic to government requests for data, or companies like BlackBerry that are openly supportive and compliant with them?

I don't think one branch of government even talks to another.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-19-17 04:33 PM
    I don't think one branch of government even talks to another.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Yes, they have already proved that with outdated computer systems that don't talk to each other across agencies.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 04:55 PM
    I'd wager that most large entities (gov't or private) would rather give their money to a company that's likely to stay in business
    for the long haul - Blackberry is very shaky compared to Apple or Microsoft. Who would you rather give your money to?
    01-19-17 05:07 PM
    I'd wager that most large entities (gov't or private) would rather give their money to a company that's likely to stay in business
    for the long haul - Blackberry is very shaky compared to Apple or Microsoft. Who would you rather give your money to?
    You (and most ) people forget that at one time Apple was within an inch of being bankrupt themselves.

The Blackberry situation does not mean their security is lessened, I thought it was their PRIORITY. There are still agencies that use Blackberry, unless that has now changed....
    01-19-17 06:38 PM
    You (and most ) people forget that at one time Apple was within an inch of being bankrupt themselves.

The Blackberry situation does not mean their security is lessened, I thought it was their PRIORITY. There are still agencies that use Blackberry, unless that has now changed....
    It has. Top US government entities have dropped them. The US government made Obama get rid of his BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:09 PM
    It has. Top US government entities have dropped them. The US government made Obama get rid of his BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I thought the FBI and the CIA were still using BlackBerry? Or aspects of them…
    01-19-17 07:15 PM
    I thought the FBI and the CIA were still using BlackBerry? Or aspects of them…
    That I am not sure about, but CB has posted before how other agencies have dumped BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 08:02 PM
    That I am not sure about, but CB has posted before how other agencies have dumped BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    You can't think in terms of just the devices anymore. Most government agencies are managing their Androids and iPhones with BES or Good (which is now owned by BlackBerry).

01-19-17 08:55 PM
    You can't think in terms of just the devices anymore. Most government agencies are managing their Androids and iPhones with BES or Good (which is now owned by BlackBerry).

Let's see BES numbers then. Proof is in the data.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 09:12 PM
    Let's see BES numbers then. Proof is in the data.

Posted via CB10
    I don't have the numbers.

Anecdotally, an Air Force base near me migrated away from BlackBerry handsets to iPhones. The MDM they use: Good. At the time they adopted it, it wasn't owned by BlackBerry. It is now.

01-19-17 09:19 PM
    01-19-17 09:22 PM
    Glad to see it. That is there future.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 09:23 PM
    Remember Etisalat? BlackBerry has a long history of cooperating with lawful requests of private information, whilst Snowden has chosen to get cozy with a government that has a long history of invading their citizen's privacy, Which one do you trust?
    TCB on Z10 and shaleem like this.
    01-19-17 11:32 PM
    The Internet....

If someone writes it, someone will believe it.
    Did you hear?

BB10 version 10.5 has been deployed to the PTR?

It contains 8 different types of 'Dark hub', Android 7.1.1 runtime, and improves battery life by 60%
    01-20-17 12:00 AM
    I don't really care what Snowden says about anything, but governments are BlackBerry's biggest revenue source these days - of course they're going to cooperate to stay in business.
    01-20-17 01:31 AM
    Well, I think he may have a point because he's done so much in the field of Security and if he's saying there's something fishy then it's not correct to avoid it.
    And yes, Blackberry too has made some disappointing choices in the field of security like the Canadian police having a "Global Decryption key" since 2010 and Blackberry's choice of providing the decryption of our data with just a phone call from the law enforcement agencies. I mean, how cool it is to exchange customer data for regulatory benefits?
    Yes, it's important for tech giants to co-operate with the government to help tackle threats such as terrorism or organised crime but that doesn't mean the government should have unrestricted access to our data, like the Backdoor access with RCMP.
    The point is, Our governments have gone to a point where there is no return and we, as civilians, can't always ensure that the government is doing everything for our good. And that's where we need someone who can the do this job for us. And Blackberry has been focusing on this security matter since it's inception and that's why we hope that it backs us against threats.
    Hope it gets better and more secure in the future.

PS: Have you seen the new Sirin Solarin?
    01-20-17 02:36 AM
    Did you hear?

BB10 version 10.5 has been deployed to the PTR?

It contains 8 different types of 'Dark hub', Android 7.1.1 runtime, and improves battery life by 60%
    Plus the new device that comes with it has the best in class camera.
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-20-17 06:36 AM
    Remember Etisalat? BlackBerry has a long history of cooperating with lawful requests of private information, whilst Snowden has chosen to get cozy with a government that has a long history of invading their citizen's privacy, Which one do you trust?
    Snowden is in Russia only because the government of his own country wants to punish him for exposing evidence that they conduct mass surveillance on their own citizens, too.

01-20-17 08:12 AM
    The US government made Obama get rid of his BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    There are very different reasons that the president could no longer carry his BlackBerry. At that level, anything that doesn't connect only to highly secure (and often highly proprietary) systems is considered a security risk. There are plenty of BlackBerry handsets throughout the US government: the only issue now is if Android hasn't been approved by an agency then the only choice for a handset is iOS at this point.
    01-20-17 10:10 AM
    There are very different reasons that the president could no longer carry his BlackBerry. At that level, anything that doesn't connect only to highly secure (and often highly proprietary) systems is considered a security risk. There are plenty of BlackBerry handsets throughout the US government: the only issue now is if Android hasn't been approved by an agency then the only choice for a handset is iOS at this point.
    But I thought BlackBerry phones had all the top security specs?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 10:24 AM
    There's a difference between security on a phone for most people and for a head of state. Keep in mind: the president and most high level staff in the government and military aren't using commercial cell networks for their sensitive calls. If you're using a protected network and communication protocol you're not necessarily going to have something that any stock device can connect to. Also, from an operational standpoint you're not going to want someone that's such a high value target carrying anything with a GPS signal or any kind of extraneous signal that could either pinpoint their location or be used in some kind of nefarious manner.

Beyond even all of that: Obama was using 8xxx series Curves: not exactly the greatest devices even when new: you'd think he would have at least shelled out for a Bold!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-20-17 11:26 AM
    Plus the new device that comes with it has the best in class camera.
    Also, Lithuanian Support will be added in 10.6. Which is about 4 years away.
    01-20-17 01:29 PM
75 123